Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2021, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 4,604 times

Advertisements

Hi all -

I'm a 28 yr old woman planning to attend Dartmouth College for graduate school this upcoming fall. Given that my program will inevitably involve some hybrid style learning (though I'm hoping to attend as many classes on campus as possible) I'm looking to relocate from Boston, MA (where I live now & am originally from) to Vermont.

I would prefer to live in VT over NH because I prefer the culture and politics of VT. I won't go into detail, but yes, I'm left-wing but not looking to be in anyone's face about it. I'm trying to determine where I should look to rent in VT that's within an hour from Lebanon, NH.

- I'm hoping to pay under $600/month for a room w/ roommates in a small town setting, but I would definitely consider Montpelier. I don't want to be in the middle of a super touristy destination like Woodstock.
- I have a dog and I like to keep to myself (within reason) & I'm not a super social person. I don't drink, but I like cultural & historical sites (parks, museums, art, etc.), as well as music, and I like the outdoors, as I assume everyone in VT probably does.
- I would like to participate in civic life, if possible. I think it's important to integrate oneself in one's community.
- Internet/wifi capability + phone service is important.
- I don't mind a long drive.

If anyone has any suggestions for towns that are off the beaten path or might fit some of the criteria I listed above, please let me know your thoughts! I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 04:02 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,266,886 times
Maybe try South Royalton? Vermont Law School is there and I'm sure there will be students there looking for the similar housing?

Old 03-05-2021, 04:46 PM

1,241 posts, read 902,278 times
I’ll second vter’s recommendation for S Royalton. It’s an easy 30 minute drive to Dartmouth and has a beautiful town green. There is a nice small co-op and a few restaurants- one of which is probably one of the best burger places in the state. The rental market is normally tight because of the law school but I think it is a bit better now with Vermont Law being mostly remote. My girlfriend rents from a great landlord. She only pays $900 for her large studio which includes all utilities and internet.

Old 03-06-2021, 06:58 AM

I should have mentioned- since you noted internet capability is important- I strongly recommend you rent a place that has options for internet other than Consolidated Communications. They are absolutely horrendous. Xfinity and ECFiber are good options. Internet is expensive in Vermont though. I pay more for 20MBps (highest speed I can get with the atrocious Consolidated) than I did for 100MBps before I moved to Vermont.

Most places in S Royalton are good for cell coverage with ATT or Verizon but always good to check you’ll have a strong signal indoors just in case.

Happy to answer any questions about S Royalton if you begin to consider the town.

Old 03-06-2021, 07:04 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,177,484 times
For a rent budget of $600/month with a dog, good luck finding such a place. Might suggest buying a used trailer and renting a space in a mobile home park.

Old 03-07-2021, 06:50 AM

She’s looking for a roommate situation. In many parts of Vermont that is feasible for $600 a month. I’ve lived in Royalton for years and know several friends who’ve rented rooms with dogs in the area at or around that price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
For a rent budget of $600/month with a dog, good luck finding such a place. Might suggest buying a used trailer and renting a space in a mobile home park.

Old 03-07-2021, 08:02 AM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times
Pets are an issue, even though VT is a pet friendly place.

Old 03-13-2021, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 5,529 times
I grew up in Norwich and am Tuck 2010. You want an apt in downtown Hanover or a house (with roommates) in Norwich. Contact a graduating student who will let you know what’s available. Many students who are single live on campus first year in the dorms and then a house with classmates in Norwich 2nd year. There are a bunch of homes and apts that flip between stuck students every tamest. Being 30 mins away is a bad idea, especially in winter. There is nothing in S Royalton related to Tuck or Dartmouth.

You’re already paying a lot for school. I’d strongly recommend being as close to campus as you can, even if school is hybrid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont