Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 02:44 PM

6 posts, read 29,251 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
bunny here...
I recently got into kayaking and love it.
I am seeking some pals to adventure out onto the lakes of southern vt with via kayak or canoe. If you kayak and are game please let me know. i am interested in knowing places you recomend also. so far i have tried lake raponda, sadagwa and whitingham lakes. I have my own boat n gear, if you have your own stuff and want to meet at a boatloaunch somewhere around deerfield valley (wilimington) area please reply... isn't kayaking awesome?
ttyl.
B
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 04:44 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,498,478 times
I have kayaked once. I loved it, I think, but I was scared to death. I was kayaking in Jamaica Bay. There was a strong current and it was windy. Before I got the hang of paddling, I crashed into one or more docked powerboats. I got hit with a few waves on the bay, but that didn't bother me too much. It was so windy they had to call off the paddle. Getting in and out of the kayak from the dock was scary, too, especially since I had just learned that the water in the basin was polluted with raw sewage.

I had neglected to protect myself from the sun, except for a sun visor. My arms were burned. My forearms were hurting me for days, just from holding the paddle so tightly.

That was 2 years ago. I still haven't gone back, but I want to.

When I move up I want to learn the rivers and lakes in southern Vermont. I will miss the ocean (I live about 2 miles from the ocean now) and I need to find my water sources for swimming, boating and just plain looking. (I don't usually swim in the ocean, though.)

I will look into the Brattleboro Outing Club when I move up.

Have fun!

Old 07-04-2007, 06:17 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,956,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
I have kayaked once. I loved it, I think, but I was scared to death. I was kayaking in Jamaica Bay. There was a strong current and it was windy. Before I got the hang of paddling, I crashed into one or more docked powerboats. I got hit with a few waves on the bay, but that didn't bother me too much. It was so windy they had to call off the paddle. Getting in and out of the kayak from the dock was scary, too, especially since I had just learned that the water in the basin was polluted with raw sewage.

I had neglected to protect myself from the sun, except for a sun visor. My arms were burned. My forearms were hurting me for days, just from holding the paddle so tightly.

That was 2 years ago. I still haven't gone back, but I want to.

When I move up I want to learn the rivers and lakes in southern Vermont. I will miss the ocean (I live about 2 miles from the ocean now) and I need to find my water sources for swimming, boating and just plain looking. (I don't usually swim in the ocean, though.)

I will look into the Brattleboro Outing Club when I move up.

Have fun!

That will be one weird thing to get used to in moving to Southern Vermont. No ocean, not that I like going into it anyway.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:39 PM

For me, leaving the ocean is a big deal. A real sacrifice. Growing up and thinking about living in New England, I didn't think about the loss of the ocean. I wasn't a big beach-goer. And I took the ocean for granted. Now, the thought of losing it is difficult.

But it's not as if Vermont is in the middle of the continent. It's only about 2 hours from Brattleboro to the coast. No need for an airplane.

And there are rivers and lakes, ponds and swimming holes. There are bodies of water to look at and play in. Brattleboro even has a drowned meadow that people use for boating, fishing and skating. Not for swimming, though.

Also, I want to go inland because I don't want to deal with hurricanes and the disruptions they cause. I don't want to deal with the threat, with the anxiety, with the evacuations, with the aftermath, with the losses, with the massive cleanup and so on. I do not want to deal with my insurance company when there are so many other people making claims. Do you remember what happened after Hurricane Katrina? The insurance companies nickeled and dimed their policy-holders. People had to sue because of insurance bad faith. And how do I evacuate with 5 cats, one of whom is diabetic, whose insulin needs to be refrigerated? How do I do it in NYC, which is dependent on bridges and tunnels and can be congested in the best of times? I saw TV footage of Houston being evacuated before Hurricane Rita. I think that was what made me think hard about dealing with a hurricane here. Where I live, I would have to evacuate if there were a Category 3 hurricane. I am only a few blocks, if that, from the Category 2 evacuation zone. Hurricanes are very rare in New York, but they happen, and experts say we are overdue for a big one. Kind of like your earthquakes.

Happily, our shelters take people with pets. But how would I manage 5 cats in carriers? They are not dogs on leashes.

You can get some inland flooding from hurricanes, but the most dangerous part of a hurricane is the storm surge.

BTW, Vermont is the only landlocked state in New England. The others all have coastlines on the Atlantic Ocean, although New Hampshire's coast is small.

But I have decided that Vermont is an honorary coastal state. Why?

-It has a coast of sorts on Lake Champlain.

-It borders on coastal states on the east, the south and even the west. If you go south, you are in Massachusetts, which borders on the ocean. Even go west into New York and you are in a coastal state!

-You are closer to the ocean in landlocked Vermont than you would be inland in a lot of coastal states. Think of eastern Washington, eastern Oregon and eastern California. Think of western parts of eastern coastal states.

-In Brattleboro, you can cross the Connecticut River on a bridge off Main Street, near the Food Co-op. In seconds you are in New Hampshire, a coastal state.

-I had to make Vermont an honorary coastal state, because the thought of living in a landlocked state bugs me.

Last edited by arel; 07-04-2007 at 10:20 PM..

Old 07-05-2007, 05:55 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,960,868 times
When I was a kid, I was constantly at the beach, and this continued through high school and college. I was at Jones Beach every weekend if the weather was good. But I grew out of it. Haven't been to the beach in probably 12 years. I'm much more of a lake, river, swimming hole kind of gal now.

Oh, and pools are okay too.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:37 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,827,442 times
Hi, I think there are a lot of people who kayak and canoe on the Battenkill River...just google the Battenkill and you may find sites with others looking to paddle...

Old 07-06-2007, 09:51 AM

i was wondering if it is ok to post a link for swimming hole and kayak spots in s. vt. i have a link to these saved in my favorites i would love to share, but only if allowable.
please let me know.
thanks

Old 07-06-2007, 03:26 PM

Here's a site for Vermont swimming holes:

VERMONT hiking camping swimming skinny dipping river creek waterfall spring

Old 07-06-2007, 04:38 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,956,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
arel, thank you for the site. I have had fun looking at all the swimming holes

Old 07-10-2007, 02:59 PM

i found this site has tons of links to swiming holes, hikes and kayaking spots in vermont.
DVkayak : deerfield valley kayak group
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont