Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2008, 05:52 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,266,886 times

Advertisements

How are all you fellow VTers coming out in these storms? Round 1 blew threw the Burlington area around 2 and dropped some big trees and some big hail too. One of our cruisers got pretty banged up from the hail.
Round 2 just blew threw...tons of thunder and lightning. Round 3 looks like it'll blow through soon. Luckily no damage on our property (so far).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 07:06 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,856,760 times
On my way to work at about 2:30 I got hit with the rain, hail, and wind. I had to detour three times through Williston due to trees downed across the roads. This evening while at work near the airport the cloud formations ahead of the rain were just amazing. I just hope when I get home all the driveway work I did this weekend will not be washed away.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:45 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
I was out in the middle of the woods yesterday when it hit, it took me by a bit of surprise, just sort of hit after it had been sunny all day. It was quite the experience, having trees falling, being soaked, etc.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:00 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,961,503 times
Just saw some of the photos on the Burlington Free Press site...wow...hope all of you are doing okay...massive tree damage but it seems that there weren't any injuries or anything which is all you can hope for...

Old 06-11-2008, 07:24 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,856,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I was out in the middle of the woods yesterday when it hit, it took me by a bit of surprise, just sort of hit after it had been sunny all day. It was quite the experience, having trees falling, being soaked, etc.
I can relate to this experience. Several years ago while doing the Long Trail without the benefit of a forecast and just plodding along near Bolton Mt a similar storm hit. Quite surreal in the forest when bright daylight in a matter of minutes becomes a tempest of darkness, high wind, thunder, and water. Witnessing a lightning strike to a tree while standing in ankle deep running water also was something that makes you value life.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:56 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,149 times
My wifes garden took a pretty bad hit. Now it's green instead of pink and purple. Her herb garden got it bad too.

Our neighbors lost a big poplar tree. At least it fell on their property and not the lines on the street.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:28 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,081 times
We got hit pretty hard here in the MRV, never saw winds that hard. Couple trees crashed down on the house but know damage. Trees took out the power lines in 3 places near my place but due to the amazing electrical crew the power was back on in 4 hours.

A crew all the way from the Burlington Electric Co worked on the downed pole next to the house. We got the chain saws out the next day and got all the trees out of the way.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:47 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
I lost some plants in my vegetable garden, but it wasn't too bad. Went and bought some tomato plants to replace a handful that were damaged too much (which is a pity as the purchased plants are hybrids and the plants lost were open pollinated, but unless the rest are killed there will be enough of the old varieties still to collect plenty of fruit and seeds from). Quite a bit of erosion but I didn't see too many exposed roots from it. The potatoes and watermelon and squash all seemed to love it, they've grown quite a bit for just under a week. I was spared the worst of it, but there was some pretty rough flooding and damage in other parts of the city. Pavement from roads cracked/broken into small chunks and moved around by water, etc., here and there. The potholes are back...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: