Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2008, 08:26 AM

2 posts, read 17,571 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best small town to live in VT.My husband has a brain injury and cannot handle crowds and alot of noise anymore.We live in Jax Fl and it is way too crowded and crazy around here for him! I need a country setting where he can relax.Money is tight so I need an affordable area.Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 12:07 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
What is small to you? Our largest "city" has a population of only 40,000. Most towns in VT have under 2K in population. Because we are so small we have a small economy (i.e not a ton of jobs out there).

Old 07-12-2008, 10:14 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
I hate to say this, but if money is tight, you might want to reconsider VT.

One thing we have that my family in Florida doesn't have is big heating bills. Also you'll be driving farther for things you have close by down south -- you'll use more gas. Gas prices in FL and VT are very close, within pennies.

You'll want to look into areas with doctors who are skilled at treating your husband's brain injury (there are plenty of doctors, but you want to be conveniently situated lest your husband require immediate services.)

The extent of your husband's injury is not my business, but if his balance or coordination are impacted, you have to remember that there's snow and ice on the ground for a decent amount of the winter followed by mud in the spring. Only you and he know how well he can or can't navigate that.

I don't mean to be a downer; but if your budget is tight, I don't want to sugar coat anything.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:14 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I hate to say this, but if money is tight, you might want to reconsider VT.
I couldn't agree more. Find a nice country setting in Virginia, NC, or TN.
It's really expensive here. Good luck.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:28 PM

2 posts, read 17,571 times
Default replies

Thank you for being honest. I really appreciate your help.I will try the Carolinas.I just need a quieter less crowded place for him.He functions well,just really bad mood swings.Thanks again! Joan

Old 07-19-2008, 07:09 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,497,821 times
Just to put my own 2 cents in: There is a major, Ivy League university medical center in Hanover, NH, just across the river from White River Junction, which is located about half way up the state on the boundary with NH.

But other than that, I pretty much agree with the posters above. Vermont gets very cold in the winter, the cost of living is high, and the salaries are low.

There is a thread on this forum, Why do People Leave Vermont? and the major themes that emerged were that the climate and the economy were what drove people away.

I have been doing a lot of research in preparation for my move to Vermont - I have asked a lot of questions on this forum and on other venues, and I have visited and spoken to locals - and my experience has been that most people I have spoken to love it in Vermont. But I can't go any further because I don't live there yet, and thus cannot yet speak from personal experience.

Another thing: Most of Vermont is very hilly and mountainous. Land, and roads, are very often on some kind of incline. And there are often steep, cliff-like drops at the end of roads, at the side of roads and at the end of people's properties. Combine these with the snow and ice in the winter, and you have another challenge of living in Vermont. Most Vermonters, I think, take this in stride. Me? I'm working on it.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:06 AM

862 posts, read 1,050,419 times
I'm a native Vermonter(65) who moved to Wisconsin 5 years ago because property
taxes and heating costs are 40% of Vermont levels.
I love Vermont but the simple TRUTH its a low wage-HIGH cost place period !

Old 08-06-2013, 06:32 PM

1 posts, read 4,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoan View Post
Thank you for being honest. I really appreciate your help.I will try the Carolinas.I just need a quieter less crowded place for him.He functions well,just really bad mood swings.Thanks again! Joan
Joan,
The eastern shore of VA on the peninsula is lovely. We are looking there ourselves. My husband was badly injured a little over a year and a half ago- he was hit by an SUV- Drugged driver. He had a severe head injury- (i understand the mood swings- and temperature swings) fractured skull, spinal cord injury- and you name it- it was broken. I have had to put our small farm on the market and it sold quickly- now I guess I am looking for the same as you. Just a slower pace and where he can relax with out all of the pressure. Housing there is very reasonable as well as the taxes. And... the best part to me is you are never far from the water.
I wish you the best in your journey.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:57 AM

29 posts, read 48,217 times
I agree with many posts above about wages, cost of living, weather, etc. but there's a question only you can answer and it regards what your needs are versus your wants. Many people in Vermont live a relatively simple lifestyle and can do so with minimal to moderate expense.

* Heating - Traditional costs can be high but can be mitigated with a variety of options such as insulation, membership in VT Farm Bureau to reduce propane costs, using a wood stove, living in a smaller home than what most of America lives in, etc...

* Medical Care - UVM Medical School / Fletcher Allen in Burlington has some fantastic doctors and as mentioned previously Dartmouth Medical in Hanover is top notch.

* People - Once you get the chance to meet your neighbors and townspeople you will find that they are generally very nice, helpful and caring people. The BIG difference up here is that they also tend to mind their own business which makes them look at times unfriendly or stand-offish.

Good luck with your search. I moved my family here from Southern New England and wouldn't go back for all the tea in China! My kids love it here, my neighbors and friends are great and my extended family and friends love to come up and visit in all seasons.

*** One last thing. You will read in these forums about people griping that you are stuck inside for 6 months of the year because of cold and snow. That is total BS. You will be stuck inside only if you choose to be. We skate, snowshoe, hike, ice-fish and do nearly everything we want throughout the winter. It's one of the best things about Vermont IMHO. ***
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont