Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 11:09 AM

230 posts, read 875,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
I have been warned of three "bad" neighborhoods in Brattleboro: Clark Street, Elliot Street and South Main Street. But most of Bratt is regarded as very safe. I have a friend who lives there who doesn't even lock her car or her home.

I know that it will take one serious crime in town to take that sense of innocence away. I hope it doesn't happen.

I have also been told that most crime in town is between acquaintances. But I have also heard of robberies of businesses, and of drug dealing.

Oh well. I'll live in Bratt for a while. If I decide I don't like the ugly undercurrents, I'll move elsewhere.
Your friend is lucky to be able to live in a neighborhood where she feels she can still leave her house and her car unlocked. That sense of security is gift that few people have. I lived in a good neighborhood, and even I didn't feel that any more. In the past year two homes in the neighborhood were robbed, one damaged by arson, and on Cabbage Night 13 cars were vandalized, including my own. The three bad neighborhoods you mention are huge neighborhoods, too.

In previous posts on this forum you asked about the extent of the drug problem in Brattleboro, and people have indeed posted that there is a problem here. You also expressed some concern about the incidence of rape being higher than the national average. Every town has problems with crime, and Brattleboro is no exception. A lot of that is also due to the influx of people from urban areas who resettled here.

Like I said, Brattleboro is a great town, with much to offer. I expressed my opinion regarding the crime/drug problem because I think it is important to take that into consideration when thinking of relocating there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 11:41 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,564 times
I'm not sure who said the rate of rape is higher in Brattleboro than the US average. I saw a stat lke that in 2004, but in the last two years there have been 3 and 1 rapes respectively. In small towns there are bound to be blips in statistics.

I have to say these numbers make Brattleboro look pretty safe to me. Crime seems to be going down.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Brattleboro-Vermont.html

Old 08-04-2008, 05:03 PM

230 posts, read 875,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I'm not sure who said the rate of rape is higher in Brattleboro than the US average. I saw a stat lke that in 2004, but in the last two years there have been 3 and 1 rapes respectively. In small towns there are bound to be blips in statistics.

I have to say these numbers make Brattleboro look pretty safe to me. Crime seems to be going down.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Brattleboro-Vermont.html
You're right, I misspoke. In her earlier post she said the rape rate in 2005 was higher than New York City, not US as a whole. Sorry! I don't mean to be cynical. I think that I more sensitive to the issue of drugs/crime because of my line of work.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:19 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times
I told you guys I am just cranky...our house sale fell through last week so now I have to scramble for a place to live in 3 weeks w/a 10 year old and a dog
This area is not pleasant if you rent...there is NOTHING available for renters!

If anyone knows how else to find a place besides word of mouth and craigslist let me know!!

Old 08-05-2008, 06:16 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,498,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I told you guys I am just cranky...our house sale fell through last week so now I have to scramble for a place to live in 3 weeks w/a 10 year old and a dog
This area is not pleasant if you rent...there is NOTHING available for renters!

If anyone knows how else to find a place besides word of mouth and craigslist let me know!!
I got my place from Craigslist. But I also used the classifieds in the local newspaper and I contacted two property managers. One property manager's name was given me by my buyers' agent. The other had a website with contact information; I think I got to the website by googling.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:20 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,498,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta View Post
You're right, I misspoke. In her earlier post she said the rape rate in 2005 was higher than New York City, not US as a whole. Sorry! I don't mean to be cynical. I think that I more sensitive to the issue of drugs/crime because of my line of work.

I was wondering if that was the case. I hope that it was.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:01 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,753 times
I always found rentals thru the classified ads and contacting realtors. Many realtors manage local rentals. They will usually list that in their yellow page ads.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:42 AM

862 posts, read 1,050,580 times
Renters have always been looked down upon in VT,they were 60 yrs ago by the
merchant class that owned the properties and they are today by the gentry that
set the agenda in VT.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:13 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,030,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Dach View Post
Renters have always been looked down upon in VT,they were 60 yrs ago by the
merchant class that owned the properties and they are today by the gentry that
set the agenda in VT.
Gentry?

Old 08-09-2008, 08:16 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,275,685 times
Don't get mad Gypsy, take it as a compliment. Did you ever think they are staring at you because your attractive. Everybody gets cranky. Hey, I have been so upset this past week. I think this forum has been the only thing that has kept me from going insane. Anyway, why don't you tell us what type of rental you are looking for, so if we happen to come across something online or in the newspaper, we can email it to you? Don't worry, everything will work out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont