U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-27-2008, 03:59 PM
 
19 posts, read 62,936 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

I am a Vermonter with three siblings and two sons and a grandson in Vt. I remarried and somehow came out here to western NY, where I have been content for many years...but I would dearly love to move back to Vt. It is time to be back there...It is a beautiful place to live, raise children. I am a carpenter and there seems to be plenty of work in that line of work.
If you are creative and flexible in your job hunt, living in Vt could be wonderful. have a small house and heat with wood. Its cheaper than oil!
Peter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-27-2008, 05:25 PM
 
438 posts, read 837,723 times
Reputation: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brrrmont View Post
I am sorry if you are offended, but I have also lived here my entire life and I really can't understand how you are so offended by what I said. I didn't say ALL people on LI (I know some very good people here), but I would say the majority. Don't forget, 51% make a majority, though I think the percentage is higher than that.

Many people are rude here. If you have lived here all your life, I cannot see how you say we don't have an abundance of cold people here. Yes, there are some very nice people here, as there are everywhere. But quite frankly, I am tired of getting cut off on the Long Island Expressway, or even on local roads for that matter. Life is hard here and people are often stressed, and they zoom all over the place.

And as for the garbage, what about along the LIE or on the exit or entrance ramps? It is disgusting. I don't understand how people could care less about where they live.

Look, I don't think Vermont is the perfect place, no place really is (if someone knows of paradise, please let all of us here know). And yes, there are many things on LI that we take for granted here, like garbage disposal and fresh fish. But life seems slower and more peaceful up there. I may be wrong about this, but after 20 years of traveling to Vermont and New England, I would have to say chances are pretty good.
What you said was "if you want rude, self serving, cold people who give you the finger as they blow through stop signs, then this is the place for you."
I felt the same way you did BEFORE I moved off Long Island. To visit VT and to live in VT are totally different. You must live in VT to understand what I am talking about. I must say that I was wrong in my previous posts to say that Vters are mean. People are people....some are nicer than others. Some think because they have money or live in a better neighborhood they have the right to talk down to others. That happens everywhere. What I have noticed is that Vters are different than I am. I wear my heart on my sleeve....if something is funny, I laugh outloud. If a spider scares me, I scream. I show my emotions.
I found it very easy to live on Long Island. That may be because I had the same job for over twenty years. I think the opportunity to make a good living and be able to save for retirement is available to everyone on Long Island. The people that I speak with that still live there arent suffering any financial hardships with the problems that are facing this nation. Would I want to move back......never!!
I think you should come to live in VT and decide for yourself. We could always use another flatlander on this forum!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2008, 10:43 AM
 
6,764 posts, read 19,714,025 times
Reputation: 4687
Yes, you do get a lot of funny comments and looks should you 'express yourself' a bit too much around others. I had the same experience at my last job if I ever said anything except "yes," or "no" when handed a large amount of work.

My boss was not used to people 'standing up' for themselves. I threatened several times to leave because of conditions and eventually did.

They prefer plodding non thinkers kissing their a**es for that beloved $10 an hour. Don't try to fight the system (whatever) because there is always another 'unmotivated' underachiever happy for your job.

Then again, who cares? If people don't like you because you laugh, cry, complain, whatever, then fine. Who needs to be friends with them or work for them?

There are a lot of 'displaced' people from NY/CT/CA wherever...make friends with them and keep the 'exclusive cliques' to themselves!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2008, 05:51 PM
 
438 posts, read 837,723 times
Reputation: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Yes, you do get a lot of funny comments and looks should you 'express yourself' a bit too much around others. I had the same experience at my last job if I ever said anything except "yes," or "no" when handed a large amount of work.

My boss was not used to people 'standing up' for themselves. I threatened several times to leave because of conditions and eventually did.

They prefer plodding non thinkers kissing their a**es for that beloved $10 an hour. Don't try to fight the system (whatever) because there is always another 'unmotivated' underachiever happy for your job.

Then again, who cares? If people don't like you because you laugh, cry, complain, whatever, then fine. Who needs to be friends with them or work for them?

There are a lot of 'displaced' people from NY/CT/CA wherever...make friends with them and keep the 'exclusive cliques' to themselves!!
Yes, you are right. My husband has met a lot of the unmotivated types where he works.
I am surprised at the difference between the way people post on these threads in comparision to the Long Island ones. They do seem very aggressive on the LI one. I was surprised. It may have to do with the moderator. Our moderator doesn't appreciate hostile behavior and steps in before it gets out of hand. I don't go on the Long Island threads often enough to try to figure it out, nor do I care to. I enjoy my piece of heaven here in VT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2008, 06:55 AM
 
6,764 posts, read 19,714,025 times
Reputation: 4687
I'd advise you to keep out of the LI threads. I never check them anymore.
They are full of either smug, snide people who have never seen the light of reality and miserable, unhappy complainers.
Both groups compete to insult each other.
Occasionally you get someone sane making a comment. Remember, you have 'moved on.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2008, 08:32 AM
 
Location: hinesburg, vt
1,574 posts, read 4,414,460 times
Reputation: 395
The comments regarding work and having to kiss posteriors to in some cases be able to stay on the job I am afraid will become even more a reality. Let's face it, it's an employers market for the most part. With the lack of jobs and amount of qualified and overqualified job seekers out there many bosses and managers just simply will not put up employees who assert themselves and go against their grain. Unfortunately with the way the markets and economy continue to spiral downwards employment for many will become a major issue. Even places that are or are planning on filling positions the system is rigged. I know where I am we will have two positions open soon, but I have found out the selections have been made in advance, but the jobs will be posted no doubt soliciting countless applications and resumes from unsuspecting folks. Hunker down and cinch that belt tight as we are in for some major turbulence in the coming months and in all probability a full year or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2008, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Inis Fada
16,786 posts, read 28,991,743 times
Reputation: 7372
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I'd advise you to keep out of the LI threads. I never check them anymore.
They are full of either smug, snide people who have never seen the light of reality and miserable, unhappy complainers.
Both groups compete to insult each other.
Occasionally you get someone sane making a comment. Remember, you have 'moved on.'
Beware of what you write -- you're sounding like *gasp* one of us! LOL That written, I believe the LI board is that way because it does reflect the way LIers handle things as well as the daily stress faced here in our little LI rat race.

The VT board is more laid back, people are willing to 'hear' one another out despite the occasional difference of views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2008, 07:01 AM
 
438 posts, read 837,723 times
Reputation: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I'd advise you to keep out of the LI threads. I never check them anymore.
They are full of either smug, snide people who have never seen the light of reality and miserable, unhappy complainers.
Both groups compete to insult each other.
Occasionally you get someone sane making a comment. Remember, you have 'moved on.'
So true, so true!! I am pleased I didn't realize that style existed down under until I moved up here!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2008, 11:14 AM
 
6,764 posts, read 19,714,025 times
Reputation: 4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Beware of what you write -- you're sounding like *gasp* one of us! LOL That written, I believe the LI board is that way because it does reflect the way LIers handle things as well as the daily stress faced here in our little LI rat race.

The VT board is more laid back, people are willing to 'hear' one another out despite the occasional difference of views.
I would check the LI boards a lot when I first moved last year. Then slowly I lost interest. I mean, I will not be moving back and I have left that lifestyle behind, though it is ingrained in us. (we're pretty vocal people compared to the locals, let's just say).

I don't hate Long Island (my parents, sister & other relatives still live there) but I have no interest in following what is going on. It's not worth getting into an argument with some of the folks who refuse to see anything apart from the LIE as 'livable.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2008, 12:59 PM
 
6 posts, read 39,356 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brrrmont View Post
I am sorry if you are offended, but I have also lived here my entire life and I really can't understand how you are so offended by what I said. I didn't say ALL people on LI (I know some very good people here), but I would say the majority. Don't forget, 51% make a majority, though I think the percentage is higher than that.

Many people are rude here. If you have lived here all your life, I cannot see how you say we don't have an abundance of cold people here. Yes, there are some very nice people here, as there are everywhere. But quite frankly, I am tired of getting cut off on the Long Island Expressway, or even on local roads for that matter. Life is hard here and people are often stressed, and they zoom all over the place.

And as for the garbage, what about along the LIE or on the exit or entrance ramps? It is disgusting. I don't understand how people could care less about where they live.

Look, I don't think Vermont is the perfect place, no place really is (if someone knows of paradise, please let all of us here know). And yes, there are many things on LI that we take for granted here, like garbage disposal and fresh fish. But life seems slower and more peaceful up there. I may be wrong about this, but after 20 years of traveling to Vermont and New England, I would have to say chances are pretty good.

Brrrrrmont,
I am a transplant living in VT. moved here quite a while ago. I got the "flatlander" comments and the "cold shoulders". But, what i have learned from the many true Vermonters (they say seven generations to be a true Vermonter), is if you move here and want to change things to be like where you moved from, then dont bother moving here. As far as the trash on the roads, i have spent most of my life driving around the east coast, I am not saying it is all the "flatlanders", but there has been substantial traffic from NY, CT, MA, RI, and Quebec on our highways. There has been a huge increase since 9/11... And it makes me mad, to see those folks throwing trash out the windows of their vehicles.
Like the old adage... "When in Rome, do as the Romans." My point is If you move to Vermont to experience a new way of life, then dont make a lot of changes to make it like where you moved from. Accept their way of life and attitudes. They will respect you for it, and the cold shoulders thaw. Even though i have lived here for 22 years, the old time Vermonters call me a "Honorary Vermonter". Because I respect them, and it is a mutual respect. The wages may not be the best, but yes, you can succeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:21 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top