Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 11:17 AM

8 posts, read 22,365 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have been considering moving to Vermont (Upper Valley region) to escape the insanity of Long Island, NY (yes, I know, another flatlander), and it would be helpful if you could express your knowledge of and living experience in Vermont.

I have been traveling to Vermont for 20 years for vacations (summer and winter). So I am aware of the dark, gray, cold winters that can be brutal at times and the terrific summers. I have always had good experiences in Vermont (I know, it was just vacations), and I have always met friendly people who live there. Whether they were native Vermonters or not is another question.

I am also aware of the job market, but I would be a math teacher, so I will have a stable salary (not very high though).

I know there are many posts on this topic, but it would be nice to have one place to look instead of searching through all of the posts.

If you can share any kind of experience that would be helpful or just express an opinion, it would be appreciated.

Besides your opinions, I would like to know if the long cold winters are really difficult to adjust to? I do like winter sports, so maybe the adjustment will not be too bad.

Thanks

Oh yea, I came up with "Brrrmont" because my 10 year old said to me last winter while skiing in Vermont "....daddy, they should just call it Brrrmont because it is so cold..."

Last edited by Brrrmont; 08-02-2008 at 11:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 11:50 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,126,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brrrmont View Post
Hi all,

I have been considering moving to Vermont (Upper Valley region) to escape the insanity of Long Island, NY (yes, I know, another flatlander), and it would be helpful if you could express your knowledge of and living experience in Vermont.

I have been traveling to Vermont for 20 years for vacations (summer and winter). So I am aware of the dark, gray, cold winters that can be brutal at times and the terrific summers. I have always had good experiences in Vermont (I know, it was just vacations), and I have always met friendly people who live there. Whether they were native Vermonters or not is another question.

I am also aware of the job market, but I would be a math teacher, so I will have a stable salary (not very high though).

I know there are many posts on this topic, but it would be nice to have one place to look instead of searching through all of the posts.

If you can share any kind of experience that would be helpful or just express an opinion, it would be appreciated.

Besides your opinions, I would like to know if the long cold winters are really difficult to adjust to? I do like winter sports, so maybe the adjustment will not be too bad.

Thanks

Oh yea, I came up with "Brrrmont" because my 10 year old said to me last winter while skiing in Vermont "....daddy, they should just call it Brrrmont because it is so cold..."
Hi. Check your direct messages.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:50 PM

894 posts, read 1,546,812 times
Go for it.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:46 PM

2,143 posts, read 7,998,580 times
Winters get depressing, if you don't like winter, from mid-January to the end of March. Just my opinion, because I always liked wintertime. I live in Florida now, but would move back in a second if I could find a job.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:15 PM

18 posts, read 114,698 times
I lived in Vermont for many years. I would love to move back , but I cant afford it. Houses are ridiculously expensive, and taxes even more so. Let alone the cost of heating oil for the long winters.

And Im an RN, and Ive crunched the numbers and I still cant afford to do it.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:58 PM

100 posts, read 380,222 times
If you like outdoor winter activities you might actually enjoy the winter. But we don't get a whole lot of sun in the winter regardless of how much snow we get.

Finding a job, any job is the biggest challenge in VT.

Compared to other areas of the country the houses are reasonably priced.

Not sure what numbers the RN is crunching but RN's are one of the highest paid people that live here.

Burlington houses tend to be more expensive than Brattleboro houses.

You would definitely want to have a job lined up before arriving here, although you are a teacher, it doesn't mean you will easily find a job. Once folks find jobs up here they usually hang on to them for a long time.

Did I mention that finding a job is the biggest challenge?

Winter lasts 6 months here, whether it snows or not. And the summers are not that pleasant, it can get VERY humid up here but they do seem to be less intense than the summers in CT. This summer has been very wet and stormy.

It's definitely a rural lifestyle up here, no malls nearby and no endless list of restaurants to eat out at.

But it has been a great place to raise children and to get away from the ratrace of Fairfield county.

good luck with your decision.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:25 AM

894 posts, read 1,546,812 times
I've heard it's not hard to find a Math/Science teaching job up here. Humanities type stuff is much harder.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:36 PM

2 posts, read 8,317 times
I'm a teacher too, raised in VT (Northern!) in a town of 6,000. Guess what.. of course I spend lots of time in NYC!

You will thorougly love VT - and So. VT has lots of NY expats if you want to find them it's not difficult. Just look for the cafe that sells the NY Times and hang out there on a Sunday. And whoever dresses in black all the time is from Manhattan. ha ha ha...

Old 08-04-2008, 07:22 PM

862 posts, read 1,041,755 times
VT is fine if you have money.If you can just buy a house and still have cash
to heat in the bank u will have no problem.
If you have to do the above on a teachers pay,you will.Simple

Old 08-05-2008, 02:53 PM

18 posts, read 114,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLady321 View Post

Not sure what numbers the RN is crunching but RN's are one of the highest paid people that live here.

The numbers of a single mom with two kids, single income. I could afford to rent possibly if that is what I want for the rest of my life, but I want to buy a house and have a home of my own and theres just no way with the taxes and cost of housing, oil, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont