U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,103 times

Advertisements

My son is going into 1st grade in a very rural Vermont public school.
I am not one to totally diss public schools, but I can see why people have taken to home schooling and private schools. I live a little to far away to send my son to any private schools or otherwise I think I would..
The school my son went to Kindergarten at only did grade K for half days.
I actually got a report card when K was finished from his teacher that said to move on to grade 1 he is going to have to 1. work much harder
2. Work more independantly
My biggest concern is that in this school they only had 4 hours to learn what other Kindergardeners usually get a full day now for, and also isn't grade K the grade where they are supposed to be TAUGHT so how is it he can be labeled as needed to work more independantly!???
Anyone have any similiar experiences?
My sons IQ is 125 and this school is pushing him almost into special Ed.
Frustratingly, the schools employees are extremely unimpressive....
if you know what I mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 12:49 PM

894 posts, read 1,288,869 times
Labeling kids as special ed is a money maker for a lot of schools. Schools are one of the reasons we're leaving(we have 4 year old). I don't what else to tell you. Most of the education concerned parents that I know up here bite the bullet and homeschool or make whatever sacrifices are necessary for private school. If you are going to homeschool be aware that there are reporting requirements in VT.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:25 PM

16,835 posts, read 29,164,362 times
Some school districts on LI still have 1/2 day K as well. Many parents place their children into preschool here as early as 3 to prepare them for school. PreK & K all involve working with letters, numbers and simple word recognition. A child who is mirroring a friend is not working independently.

Did the school specifically state 'Special Education' or are they concerned about the way he is handling his workload to date? With NCLB, schools here mainstream students, they don't pull people out and put them in a special room like they did when I was a kid. If for any reason your son is having problems like mine did with his rading, he'll stay with his class and just leave for reading at a certain time. If it is handled there like it was here, it is very smooth going from one class to the other reading room.

My son was picked off as having a reading problem; he was sent for reading remediation (first individual, then group) for a few years and was administered state tests each end of year. He eventually tested out. Today he is in HS taking advanced and honors courses. His ELAs, and other standardized tests put him in the upper tier (he's in the 99th percentile in math nationally) but he happened to have a problem with reading in the beginning.

Don't fret, but ask lots of questions and record EVERYTHING. You're son will shine. I promise. Sometimes they just take a little longer to glow, but when they do....

Old 08-04-2008, 07:15 PM

198 posts, read 746,765 times
I taught in Vermont and now in Tennessee. I will be the first to tell you that teaching in Vermont was "different" than any place else I have lived.

When we moved last year, my children were very behind in math.

Special education requirements are getting more strict, because of No Child Left Behind. Where I am now the schools must remidiate before they can refer for special ed...so check into that.

Good luck!

Old 08-04-2008, 08:56 PM

21 posts, read 69,202 times
Does anyone know how the schools in Vermont compare with the schools in Massachusetts? Pucabear, how is teaching in Vermont different than other places you have lived?

We are considering a move to Montpelier and have two elementary school aged boys. Our school in Massachusetts is excellent. I expect nothing less for my kids. Am I going to be downgrading my kids' education?

Old 08-05-2008, 05:42 AM

894 posts, read 1,288,869 times
MA schools are far better than VT schools.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:24 AM

198 posts, read 746,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepotato View Post
Does anyone know how the schools in Vermont compare with the schools in Massachusetts? Pucabear, how is teaching in Vermont different than other places you have lived?

We are considering a move to Montpelier and have two elementary school aged boys. Our school in Massachusetts is excellent. I expect nothing less for my kids. Am I going to be downgrading my kids' education?
How is teaching in Vermont different...I felt that there was a huge push to not damage the children, which I am 100% in favor of. However, that meant grades were not given in elementary (only meeting the standard, exceeding the standard, below standard), everyone made the team (we wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but we will let a severely overweight girl go onto the basketball court as a cheerleader and be made fun of by the crowd because there are no cuts), behavior issues were dealt with in a "counseling" type manner rather than having consequences and learning to accept them and the biggest thing, from a teacher/parent standpoint, the math was horribly lacking. Tennessee is not ranked at the top of the heap, but my children (both good students) were very behind in their math skills when we arrived here. The reading was fine. I have not taught in MA, but I am sure that you would be downgrading.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:23 PM

462 posts, read 847,434 times
I respect Pucabears opinions about the schools in VT. He knows firsthand what is going on. I would NEVER want my grandchildren to move to VT for an education. I only worked a few months in the school districts here and I can tell you one thing...my taxes are wasted!!! I worked in a few school districts and left very discouraged. I saw an average of 8 - 10 children in a classroom with a minimum of 2 full time employees. If they were taught a total of two hours of the day, they were lucky. There were times I went in to sub and got paid to sit and do nothing. By Vt standards, I was paid well. My taxes were as much on Long Island as they are in VT. The teachers were paid VERY well but they taught about 30 or more children to a classroom and those children graduate earning their diplomas. We should go back to having separate special education classrooms. I feel really sorry for the children that are being pushed through the system. Vters can't afford to pay for all these full time paraeducators to watch one child all day. One class I was in had at least six paraeducators, not including the teacher and subs. We also need to consolidate the schools. Socially it would be better for the children and better for the taxpayers. Everybody should sign up to be a substitute teacher. It will only take a few days to see what I am talking about. I'm sure the schools must be better in Towns like Middlebury, Woodstock and Manchester. Forget the more rural areas. I really feel sorry for the children and I feel sorry for the taxpayers of this State because nothing will ever change. If I wasn't farming, I could never afford to live here. I really don't understand these people that go to Meeting Day (that's what it is called, right?) every year and push to have their school taxes raised. Why would anyone want their taxes to go up? Can someone explain this to me? I really don't understand. I'm sorry, this is just a bad topic for me. I watch the news and see that our federal tax dollars are being wasted, with no disrespect to our President, and then to see such waste in our State at times like this. It is just so sad. I'm sure it's not just in Vermont. I don't want people calling me a Vt basher. I love living here. I just wish the schools would tighten their spending. Maybe the Governor should step in and make force the schools to tighten their budgets.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:55 PM

21 posts, read 69,202 times
Wow, what about the schools in Montpelier, Middlebury or South Burlington? Would they be more on par with Massachusetts?

Old 08-07-2008, 05:03 AM

2,143 posts, read 7,203,439 times
Please don't assume that schools are the only place children are supposed to learn. You also have to teach him at home. Schooling does not end when he walks out the door of the school building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont