Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 12:12 PM

16 posts, read 40,179 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have info on a Camp O WanYa Kay (sp) that was on the lake in the 50's. I went there for a week and had a grand time as a youngster. I know the camp was still functioning in the 1960's but just wonder when it closed down and why.

If anyone posting on here attended that camp they will remember the camp song that I still remember after all these centuries. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 12:28 PM

230 posts, read 875,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyat60 View Post
Does anyone have info on a Camp O WanYa Kay (sp) that was on the lake in the 50's. I went there for a week and had a grand time as a youngster. I know the camp was still functioning in the 1960's but just wonder when it closed down and why.

If anyone posting on here attended that camp they will remember the camp song that I still remember after all these centuries. Thanks
I wonder if you mean Camp E-Wen-Akee?

Old 08-12-2008, 01:01 PM

Talking Camp

That could be the name of the camp. I was only 6 when I went there so I probably didn't get the correct pronunciation of the place. I know it was on Lake Bomoseen and we walked down a hill to swim.Any other info on it?

Thanks

Old 08-13-2008, 09:08 AM

230 posts, read 875,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyat60 View Post
That could be the name of the camp. I was only 6 when I went there so I probably didn't get the correct pronunciation of the place. I know it was on Lake Bomoseen and we walked down a hill to swim.Any other info on it?

Thanks
E-Wen-Akee is part of Eckerd Youth Alternatives' outdoor therapeutic program for troubled teens.

EYA Locations Map — Rhode Island, Vermont and New Hampshire (http://www.eckerd.org/map/ri_vt_nh.html - broken link)

My guess is that it was bought up by the program after the campground closed down. Sorry I don't know much more than that.

I can say that I myself have very fond memories of camping during summer school vacations. If it is the same camp, it's good to know that these teens are getting an opportunity to enjoy it.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:04 AM

Smile camp

I agree with you. The camp I went to wasn't for teens in trouble. So I bet my camp was bought out like you said. Thanks for the info

Old 08-29-2022, 04:26 PM

1 posts, read 839 times
Lady at 60....you must remember the painted totem pole, the rec hall with the upright piano, mess hall and all those long tables -- sat by cabin. The red wood and canvas bunks with screened "Windows"around the sides. How about the path through the woods to the bathroom and the long trough for washing up and cleaning teeth? The campfire when you were given an Indian name and could not speak for the whole next day. The triple decker tree house in the woods ...top one was old and not allowed up into it. Water balloon fights but the better one was in bathing suit and the flour bag fights. Paper napkins loaded with flour and pelted anyone you could hit. Afterwards running down the hill and jumping in the water to rinse off the flour we'd be covered in.Patty Canfield was one of the councillors, the arts and crafts hall (ok...I still have and use the Orange concentrate can I painted in 1963 on my desk as the pencil holder). And the famous snipe hunt at night by flashlight in the woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont