U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 07:44 PM

198 posts, read 745,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordswoman View Post
Hi guys,
I know this post is a couple years old, so I'm not surprised that you haven't seen the crime statistics from 2006. Which have gone way up according to the city-data page for St. Albans. Comments?

pucabear, you still in St. Albans? Tell me about the safety of the town and the liberal politics. Worse than nine years ago? The winter's OK with us.

Thanks!
We moved from St. Albans in May, 2007...and have no regrets. In the amount of time we lived there taxes went up every year, and will continue to because the system and how schools are funded is not good. I had issues with the structure...and I am a teacher. As far as liberal politics...people are very outspoken about their liberal views and don't want to hear your opinion if it doesn't coincide with theirs. Someone mentioned town school was better than city school....town school is newer but academically they offer about the same. As far as safety, we began to see an increase in the city before we left and noticed it has increased since we left. Like I said...no regrets in leaving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 11:04 AM

325 posts, read 615,568 times
St Albans is a fairly rundown town that is typical of most of Vermont. Many people who cannot afford Burlington live there. I used to be one of them.

Honestly, Vermont is a beautiful place, but it is going downhill rapidly due to the influx of out-of-staters who come there to distribute drugs or commit crimes.

Plus the cost of living versus what the jobs pay(even the "professional" ones)is ridiculous.

I left St Albans and Vermont six months ago for these reasons. I was the victim of arson...the owner was a pill addict and paid a kid to torch the building I lived in to try to scam the insurance company.

Good luck if you decide to live in St Albans. Personally, I did not find it worth living there.

Evan

Old 03-03-2009, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,127 times
Come on now people, st albans dangerous. crime? What ever! I grew up in the area and, I just couldnt see it being anything more than a beautiful Vermont town. Trust me, after living in 7 states and a few citiies st. albans is great. If you have problems with the crime rate in St. Albans you should move to northern Alaska where you wont find humans either. Ohh yes, and those kids hanging around on the corners of the street down town are wanta be gang bangers- but are so ignorant they dont know what their immatating. They just see poeple on MTV or something doing this stuff and they wanta be cool too. Most of them grow out of it. Dont forget you got montreal canada near by too, which can provide a nice repreeve. I would have to say theat people in colder climates dont "typically" smile as much as warmer climates, but hey watcha gonna do. So I live in southern Cali.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:13 AM

114 posts, read 268,672 times
Hi all, I don't live in St. Albans, but we often go the the outdoor range there to practice. On the grounds of the gun range, there is also an outdoor archery range. There is also an excellent (!) archery shop and indoor archery range right in town. So far, between the two we have met some nice folks who don't seem at all liberal. The majority in St. Albans may be liberal, but that pretty much describes most of Vermont. And many of the people moving in are bringing that along with them as their contribution.
As far as I know, any town in Vermont that is close to the border is going to have it's share of drug and related crime problems. Fact of life; people can be greedy and stupid, and when you throw in drugs and money to boot bad things happen.
I hadn't heard about hazardous waste in St. Albans, either. But, if you subscribe to the local paper/s of any place you are interested in placing yourself in, you will learn a good deal and make a more informed choice down the road. Barring that, check out WCAX news online, which isn't specific to St. Albans, tho.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:14 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,460,512 times
One of my best friends lives in St. Albans, loves it, has not told me about serious crime issues actually; her 4 kids are outdoors playing all the time (yup, even in the mountains of snow that we got this year)....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont