U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2007, 09:25 PM

3 posts, read 7,952 times

Advertisements

TO ALL: I am currently writing a screenplay and am considering placing most of the dramatic action in North Troy. Any and all information that you have about this town would be useful. Thank you,

Wiz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 06:48 PM

5,773 posts, read 12,323,740 times
Well, it's a village within the town of Troy, situated at the 45th parallel on the Missisquoi River and borders Highwater, Quebec. The population is roughly 600 and there are no remaining dairy farms. It once was a busy mill town and nearly everyone worked in it or had relatives who did. Today, there is one store on Main Street, a gas station, post office and a hotel. There is a small factory that makes furniture parts and a couple of restaurants and a B&B.

Your question is a broad one and I could provide so much more, as I happen to live here, but what, specifically, would you like to know?

Old 01-30-2007, 07:19 PM

17,889 posts, read 54,207,525 times
Aww, tell him about Bull and the guns he was building there to shoot satellites into space. Fascinating man, fascinating story of how he was rebuffed by NASA, and eventually shot by the Mosad for helping Saddam try to build superguns. When it happened, the U.S. didn't even raise an eyebrow that a U.S. citizen was murdered by a foreign power's espionage force during peacetime.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:00 PM

I think you just did! And though his story does make for interesting reading and all, I wonder how many people realize that his technological base - Space Research - was located in Jay, which shares the same zip and telephone exchange. Parts of the compound crossed into Quebec as well. The gun, as it was referred to around here, was enormous! The barrel was several hundred feet long and supported by all kinds of bridge-like stanchions. Windows were known to shatter around here when they were using it. There was also a good documentary about GB on the history channel a few years back.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:28 PM

Squarepeg & Harry,

Thank you for your replies. The story of Bull is very interesting. I am certainly looking further into it. When was North Troy founded, and by whom? That is one thing I am interested in. Other unique stories? Anything of historical signifigance. These are some of the things I'm looking for. Textual research only gives you so much. I prefer to hear thoughts & opinions mixed in with fact. Again, thank you for your help. I'm sure when my script is completed, I will owe you a great deal of gratitude.

Wiz

Old 02-01-2007, 04:42 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,422,144 times
North Troy is also the terminus of the Long Trail, the oldest long distance hiking trail in the US. The trail runs some 275 miles from the Mass border to the Canadian border. More information on this on the Green Mountain Club website.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:09 PM

I believe the first European settlers in Troy were the Elkins family circa 1802. The village was incorporated in 1876, partly so that those in outlying areas wouldn't have to pay a tax to build sidewalks. Being a border town, rum running was a popular pastime during prohibition. Much of North Troy's history has been documented. There is a museum in North Troy operated by the Missisquoi Valley Historical Society that may be worth checking into. I don't believe there is a website, but if you call the village clerk's office at (802)988-4700 you'll be pointed in the right direction. For a very good video of what the countryside looks like around here, there's a fellow in the next town who filmed a train ride from Newport to Richford. It's less than 10 years old and they have a copy of it at the Rand Memorial Library. At the library you can also find a book authored by Ann Butterfield which chronicles the town's past. This may be your best bet for older data. If you saw the movie Spitfire Grill (1996) with Ellen Burstyn then you got to see a glimpse of the Missisquoi River just south of the village at Big Falls. Good luck and feel free to PM me for more. / Jim

Old 02-04-2007, 12:00 AM

flu189,

Thank you. That information will certainly prove valuable. Square peg, thank you once again. It is obvious you know a lot about the town. I look forward to learning more from you. Another thing that would be helpful is speech. Such as sayings, slang, etc. A lot of people should have input on this, it would be much appreciated.

Wiz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont