U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 08:43 PM

166 posts, read 385,855 times

Advertisements

Vermont Police Stretched Thin

]Montpelier, Vermont - August 20, 2008[

Police are stretched thin.

In addition to last night's shooting and chase in Rutland and Addison counties, Vermont has had two murders since Friday.

Public Safety Commissioner Tom Tremblay says even though it's been unusually busy with some overtime needed, police have been able to respond to all these crimes.

"We know Vermont is one of the safest states in the country and in my 25 years experience, there have been periods of time, spikes of crimes and we're in one of those spikes right now and we're dealing with it the best way we can," Tremblay said.

WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-Vermont Police Stretched Thin

Shooting, Wild Chase End in 4 Arrests; K9 Killed

Rutland, Vermont - August 20, 2008

A busy day following a violent night for police in Addison and Rutland counties.

The wild story started Tuesday night with a road rage incident in Brandon, followed by a shooting in Leicester, then a chase in Rutland, from there-- a carjacking in Mendon, and it finally ended Wednesday morning in Fair Haven.

The police are still trying to sort out the details about how all of this started. But they do know that when it ended-- one man was shot, a police dog had been killed, 3 people had been carjacked, and 4 suspects had been captured.

WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-Shooting, Wild Chase End in 4 Arrests; K9 Killed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 09:24 PM

16,812 posts, read 29,028,345 times
No place is immune from this nonsense. Thank God no human was killed or seriously injured. My heart goes out to the K9's handler and family.

These four young men weren't tourists looking to buy maple syrup -- unless that is the new street name for some illicit narcotic. The problem will get worse before it gets better.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:05 AM

16,936 posts, read 22,220,713 times
'We don't dial 911': Rutland Herald Online

Carjack victims survive night of terror: Rutland Herald Online

I've been laughed at a few times for carrying a gun in VT (someone actually said once, "what are you afraid of, a mad cow?") but I think more people are getting the idea, that we do have a growing crime problem, and our government isn't solving the problem...the random victims (the carjacking) bother me more than the targeted killings/attacks of people involved in drugs, the crime was bound to spill over and affect more innocent people who happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and now it is.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:20 AM

1,442 posts, read 5,899,484 times
I hope this is an isolated incident and not a preview of coming attractions. And I am glad that the perps were arrested. Hopefully, Vermont judges will deal appropriately with them.

I almost feel safer here in Brooklyn after reading that article about the carjacking.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:45 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,058,732 times
I don't think that we are going to end up with murders every week, but it's more of an eye opener for many who ignore the problems that are happening.
Hats off to the police officers on catching these guys, but for every one or two caught how many more are slipping under the radar? The four that were caught were most likely invoved in some type of trafficking. This has been an issue for years in Burlington and Rutland.
Who knows what the judicial system will do. The judicial system in Vermont has a track history of being soft. As an example look at how child molesters are punished here.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:32 AM

1,822 posts, read 4,522,914 times
Police: Victim not so innocent: Rutland Herald Online

Old 08-22-2008, 01:58 PM

230 posts, read 807,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
I don't think that we are going to end up with murders every week, but it's more of an eye opener for many who ignore the problems that are happening.
Hats off to the police officers on catching these guys, but for every one or two caught how many more are slipping under the radar? The four that were caught were most likely invoved in some type of trafficking. This has been an issue for years in Burlington and Rutland.
The Brattleboro Reformer had a four-part series about drugs in VT. Here's a link to part 2 of the series, "The Perfect Highway," and how the I91 corridor is attractive to people from who traffic drugs. The stuff is coming into VT from places like MA, CT, and NY. It's really sad.
http://www.reformer.com/www.reformer.com/ci_7526534

Old 08-22-2008, 10:01 PM

894 posts, read 1,284,462 times
VT is easy pickings. Despite these guys getting caught the impression is still a bunch of country chumps and light sentences to boot.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:25 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,416,428 times
I am reading this while out of state and this type of incident and perps involved comes as no surprise. In fact we have had numerous previews of coming attractions, so for anyone who is surprised, well I hope this is wake up. Also, for any hopes that our justice system and specifically Vermont judges will do something, then you just need to read up on their past decisions concerning violent felons. Granted, this type of stuff goes on virtually everywhere, but what is a shame that we in Vt are now infested with such clientelle. What's a bigger shame is that when the trend started we should have dropped the hammer. Oh well, just add to this to the ever growing list of things, costly I might add, which we need to address.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,723 times
The reason crime seems to be rising in Vermont is because it had nowhere to go but up. Since crime has been so low in the past people have been leaving themselves open, and it only takes time from some BG to notice that there are a bunch of easy targets walking around.

People need to realize that just because nothing happen to them yesterday, doesn’t mean that nothing is going to happen to them today. More police may help, but people protecting themselves and not being easy targets is what will bring true change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont