Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 06:59 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times

Advertisements

Rutland man sues city over '07 Taser incident: Rutland Herald Online

Not some terrific people but perhaps I'm a bit biased against the Rutland City police, and want them hammered by a lawsuit, so I wish them luck as much as they disgust me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 08:02 AM

231 posts, read 869,409 times
If it was a "bad guy" telling you to do something, regardless of what it was wouldn't you do it?

It is a simple concept, do what the guy with the weapon is telling you.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:16 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,076 times
From a law enforcement perspective the taser is a great tool which I wish I had when I was on the job versus having to to grapple or use blunt force strikes to defend against or take violent people into custody. Unfortunately, by placing such a tool into the inventory it falls right in the middle of the options in the levels of force and there always will be officers who will either outright abuse it or use it in situations where it may not be warranted. Can't speak for the incident in question or parties involved, but I can tell you that from my experience that no matter how right you are in using force there will ALWAYS be critics ready to lop your head off. LOL, then some wonder why so many cops, especially older ones, try at all costs to avoid calls or situations where force may become necessary. It's because you really get burned out from the volume of damned if you do and damned if you don't calls you have to handle.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:53 PM

469 posts, read 1,640,312 times
Good I hope he wins, you don't Rutland or Vermont to become another New Orleans or run down city when you are tazed to death for protesting.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowOrNever View Post
Good I hope he wins, you don't Rutland or Vermont to become another New Orleans or run down city when you are tazed to death for protesting.
Uhm, the perp was actually resisting efforts to be secured in the cruiser for transport. He was under lawfull arrest and being a jerk. This in no way assumes the level of force was appropriate or not, but by blindly rallying for the perp and hoping he gets an reward for his acts is what is precisely the problem as it just encourages more ridiculus and expensive litigation where we all lose. Common sense dictates that if you are being arrested then comply. If you feel it is in error the proper and respectable forum for mature redress comes later, not acting like a fool at the time of arrest. So simple, but yet so hard for many to grasp. Also, being under the influence of alcohol/drugs is not a valid defense, at least where I used to work, but then again here in Vermont nothing would surprise me.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:18 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
but perhaps I'm a bit biased against the Rutland City police
Why is that? Just curious.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:34 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,642 times
Well the Bratt police were successfully sued about a year ago for tasing a couple of protesters. Last week in NYC(I think?) a naked man was tased and fell about 10 feet to his death. It violated their procedure so I'm sure if family members sue they will be successful.

My father is a retired NYC police officer and I am sure he would have said the taser is a great tool but will get misused. He was never big on high tech weapons for law enforcement.

Law enforcement is a very challenging job and as times goes by it's not getting any easier.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:02 PM

Years ago in NYC the cops simply used direct force to either gain compliance or send a message. Saw it several times myself in my neighborhood and in every case the perp on the receiving deserved it. When I finally got on the job the only additional tech tool was chemical spray which then improved to the current OC Spray. The straight baton and your hands were all you had short of using your firearm. That recent case in Brooklyn only violated the procedure in that the EDP fell from a height. It's too bad, but also so sad that the Lt who gave the order opted to commit suicide even with the fact he had 21 years on and could have just put in his retirement papers. Again, it's so easy for outsiders after the incident to analyze and pass judgement. Law enforcement is an honorable job, but also too often a very lousy one where any decision can come back and destroy you.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:25 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Why is that? Just curious.
Guns, Politics and Homesteading: once again harassed

I am absolutely not impressed with Rutland's police.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:22 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
That recent case in Brooklyn only violated the procedure in that the EDP fell from a height.
The news said they were supposed to have one of those blowup cushions in that situation, it was on the way, the supervising officer should have waited. Who knows, I wasn't there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont