Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 08:26 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,497,821 times

Advertisements

How have people made the transition from living in the big city (in my case, NYC) to living in Vermont, especially more rural areas or very small towns? By making the transition, I mean mostly psychologically, although other changes also count.

They say New Yorkers should at least start by moving to Brattleboro, Montpelier or Burlington. I would also add, tentatively, MIddlebury.

I think I once read of someone moving from NYC to Island Pond, in the Northeast Kingdom! Now, that's a drastic transition! Maybe the person has roots and/or family there. I don't recall if the person was originally from New York City, or was a transplant from a rural area.

I'm interested in stories about how big city expats make the psychological transition to becoming Vermonters, especially small town and/or rural Vermonters.

I would think the keys are experience, and support. There is one thread on this forum where the OP asks questions about what to do in the family's new rural Vermont location, and gets help from forum members.

I'm moving to a major town, so that will be less of a transition than if I were moving to a more rural place. But who knows? I may end up moving to a more rural place. Conversely, I may end up back in New York! Only time will tell.

Last edited by arel; 09-09-2008 at 09:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 09:42 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
How have people made the transition from living in the big city (in my case, NYC) to living in Vermont, especially more rural areas or very small towns?

They say New Yorkers should at least start by moving to Brattleboro, Montpelier or Burlington.
After a lifetime living only in Miami, Manhattan, and Boston, I moved to the middle of nowhere in NH. I spent two winters living alone in one of the the only winterized homes on (what was then) a remote vacation lake and just loved it. I was very happy there for years.

In 1996, I became a townie. I decided that I most enjoy Vermont living in/near a small town where I can walk to everything. So that's what I will do for the foreseeable future.

Everyone is different. I have NYC friends who feel anxiety when they take even short trips too far outside "The City," as if they've left their home planet. Other NYers move to the country, the suburbs, small towns, etc., and adapt quickly and easily. I think it depends what works for you, and you'll probably find out only by giving it a try.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:36 PM

894 posts, read 1,557,467 times
It won't be a big deal being in a rental apartment in Bratt. You're not dealing with firewood/runnning a woodstove/driveway snow removal/roof shoveling/frozen pipes etc. You'll have to drive in the snow and you'll be surprised how late spring comes and how long you need boots to walk around in. Shopping will be different most likely more of a pain and the culture is a wee bit different. No big deal if you like it there.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:23 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
It all depends on the person. If big city life and ammenities are a major part of your life then the transition could very well be difficult as life in the sticks can get quite boring. On the other hand, if while being a city dweller you constantly plan and execute trips out of the city to enjoy, for example, outdoor pursuits like hiking, fishing, hunting, then of course you are following your interests and the transition could be a non issue. Then again, it is very important to remember also that taking that annual two or three week vacation to the country is very different from being a permanent year round resident. For some the solitude and need to take care of more things on your own may take some getting used to. Also, if you are very accustomed to having a good size social circle then life here might also be a bit of a let down. A while back I had mentioned that when I used to visit on vacations I actually got to do more in terms of planned recreational activities and now work seems to constantly thwart plans. If you are fortunate enough to be able to not to have to work full time, especially shift and holiday work, and you have a sufficient finances, then you can enjoy a variety of activities to include trips to urban areas to satisfy whatever you miss by leaving the city in the first place.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:46 PM

214 posts, read 1,004,990 times
I have made the move before from a large city to Burlington, stayed for one year and decided it wasn't for me. I have moved to New York City since then. I agree with the other posters here that it really depends on what you are looking for.

As an anecdote, here is an article in NY Magazine about a family that moved from NYC to rural Columbia County, NY... not exactly VT, but I think a lot of the issues are similar, especially if you are thinking of more rural areas of VT outside Burlington, Montpelier, Brattleboro: I, Citiot: A Family's Move Upstate -- New York Magazine

Old 09-10-2008, 06:34 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
I did the exact opposite LOL. Moved from rural VT to Boston. Ended up moving back!

Old 09-10-2008, 07:48 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-of-nowhere View Post
I have made the move before from a large city to Burlington, stayed for one year and decided it wasn't for me. I have moved to New York City since then. I agree with the other posters here that it really depends on what you are looking for.

As an anecdote, here is an article in NY Magazine about a family that moved from NYC to rural Columbia County, NY... not exactly VT, but I think a lot of the issues are similar, especially if you are thinking of more rural areas of VT outside Burlington, Montpelier, Brattleboro: I, Citiot: A Family's Move Upstate -- New York Magazine

And here I was thinking that the east end LIers had the exclusive on calling the hordes of 'yuppie' weekend invaders citiots.....

Old 09-10-2008, 08:08 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,960,464 times
September's issue of Adventure Magazine is the special 'Where to Live Now' issue, and they have a story on a family who moved from Brooklyn to Bratt. Unfortunately, they don't have it online, so you might have to go pick it up (or I can scan and email it to you if you'd like!), but here's a blurb from the website describing it:

THE ADVENTURE TOWN EXPERIMENT — Learn how one American family made a bold move from the urban jungle of Williamsburg, Brooklyn, to the rural outpost of Brattleboro, Vt. — and never looked back. National Geographic Adventure Contributing Editor Tom Clynes shares his own story of finding a community.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:04 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
The New Yorker Magazine article was a nice read with some very interesting points. Being "educated" and oh my gosh "white" myself I can tell you having made the transition myself I would prefer not to be around the "citiots" myself. I can understand the novelty and adjustment of that first year cycling through the seasons, but some are just a bit too entrenched in their city ways. Another interesting point was the comparison of why people leave now versus a few decades ago. Today they are sort of economic refugees where as when I left the prime motivator of white flight was the rapid rise in crime and escalating decay of neighborhoods. We ended up moving to Southern NH where I was to finish High School and meet other urban refugee arrivals from Boston.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:23 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,497,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
September's issue of Adventure Magazine is the special 'Where to Live Now' issue, and they have a story on a family who moved from Brooklyn to Bratt. Unfortunately, they don't have it online, so you might have to go pick it up (or I can scan and email it to you if you'd like!), but here's a blurb from the website describing it:

THE ADVENTURE TOWN EXPERIMENT — Learn how one American family made a bold move from the urban jungle of Williamsburg, Brooklyn, to the rural outpost of Brattleboro, Vt. — and never looked back. National Geographic Adventure Contributing Editor Tom Clynes shares his own story of finding a community.
There are many ex-New Yorkers in Bratt. The one I spoke to in depth has never looked back. He has lived in Bratt, I believe, for 24 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont