Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 11:41 AM

52 posts, read 223,264 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just moved to Proctorsville, VT and live on the side of a mountain. We're completely surrounded by 100 foot trees and wildlife, which is one of the reasons we love it here. We had two situations yesterday that made us realized that us city/suburban folk are completely unprepared to live in the wilderness. First, my dog came out of a the woods after a 15 minute romp with a giant gash in her leg and we had no means to doctor it except for some saline solution and neosporin. Two, the power went out last night/this morning, which meant that the well pump stopped working. We didn't know if we should flush the toliets or not. Now, the power has been back on for 45 minutes, but still no water. So... here are my questions:

1. What do I need to have in my VT first aid kit?
2. Do I need a gun to protect myself and pets from Wildlife?
3. Why isn't my water working? Do I just have to give it time?
4. What's the best way to perpare for a power outage? How can I possibly prepare myself for this winter? What do I need to stock up on?
5. Anything I'm missing?

Any help for this flatlander is most appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 12:43 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,032,562 times
Get a good military first aid kit.
Get a gun, by all means
You probably have to prime the pump again.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:56 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,268,649 times
Lily gave you some good advice.
The gash your dog got may not have been an animal....there is lots of old barbed wire in the woods - most "woods" in Vermont were open farm fields at some point and you'd be surprised at some of the farming remants you may find "deep in the woods"!
Regarding your well pump....in addition to what Lily mentioned, check to see if something tripped.
As far as prepping for power outages in the winter, the main thing to worry about it is heat. We have a woodstove that we use when the power is out. Also, keep gas in your grill! It's always fun to BBQ in the dead of winter If its cold enough, you can just stick your parishables out in the snow.
Welcome to VT!

Old 09-07-2008, 08:03 PM

52 posts, read 223,264 times
Thanks Lily and Vter! Good advice. I'll take it! We did finally get the well started again by tripping the pump, or jump starting it. Thanks very much!

Old 09-07-2008, 10:17 PM

862 posts, read 1,051,289 times
Get somebody to show you how to prime your pump!
Farmers always had guns for reasons,one was to put down badly injured animals \in severe pain.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:08 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times

Maple syrup. Scotch. Duct tape. Feminine pads. Aspirin. Pepto-Bismol. If you can't fix it with those items and a stick, you are dead.

You need one to protect you from the down country hunters. A gun is a tool. If you have to ask if you need one, you need a course in gun safety before you get one.

I see you figured that one out. FWIW, there are a number of different types of pumps.

4. What's the best way to perpare for a power outage? How can I possibly prepare myself for this winter? What do I need to stock up on?

That is three questions. The best way to prepare for a power outage is to move out of state and next to a power plant. Other than that, go wilderness camping for a week. You'll know by the end of the week. The best way to prepare for winter is to move out of state and next to a power plant. Stock up on everything.

5. Anything I'm missing?

Yep. How to make nice to a bear. How to minimize moose damage to your car. What to never do to a skunk. How to avoid pasture patties after a fresh snowfall. Lotsa other stuff. Enjoy Vermont.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,044 times
You definately need a portible generater.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:06 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
The previous owner of my home did one very good thing: they installed a whole house generator which runs on propane. When the power goes out, I can count to 5 and BOOM! the generator automatically kicks on. It runs the entire house, as well as a couple of window ACs. I can run the electric oven, too.

It has been wonderful!

Old 09-08-2008, 08:22 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,187 times
I third the generator idea. When we move, it's one of the first things I plan on getting.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:32 AM

105 posts, read 357,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

Maple syrup. Scotch. Duct tape. Feminine pads. Aspirin. Pepto-Bismol. If you can't fix it with those items and a stick, you are dead.

You need one to protect you from the down country hunters. A gun is a tool. If you have to ask if you need one, you need a course in gun safety before you get one.

I see you figured that one out. FWIW, there are a number of different types of pumps.

That is three questions. The best way to prepare for a power outage is to move out of state and next to a power plant. Other than that, go wilderness camping for a week. You'll know by the end of the week. The best way to prepare for winter is to move out of state and next to a power plant. Stock up on everything.

5. Anything I'm missing?

Yep. How to make nice to a bear. How to minimize moose damage to your car. What to never do to a skunk. How to avoid pasture patties after a fresh snowfall. Lotsa other stuff. Enjoy Vermont.

OMG.....I can't stop laughing

I recommend a generator. Over here in NH, seems like PSNH goes out every time we have a snowstorm in our area. I can look across the CT River & see all the lights on in Brattleboro when this happens, pretty depressing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont