U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 07:29 AM
pod pod started this thread

21 posts, read 49,969 times

Advertisements

hi. I'm looking to move to VT from MA. MA to me is to busy, I don't use the city, and not enough land in the good towns, and the police presence is way to much..

I'm looking to see if you guys can direct me to a town I'm looking for. If any of you have been to Concord or Lexington in MA you know what I'm looking for. I'm very young and retired, but I act very old. My weekends are spent inside... Looking for places with 4-10 acres ( not looking for hundreds of acres). Want a town where there is actually places to eat and not just filled with banks. Wanting a town with lots of trails / places to take my dogs. Looking for a town that is semi active but are very relaxed people. I have about a mill to spend for a place so I don't mind neighborhoods that are expensive if in return you have understated wealthy ( like concord MA ). I guess Im looking for just that a town of understated wealthy people that are relaxed, love playing with there kids and when you walk by them you always say hi. I want a town where there is a couple things to do but you go into the other towns for malls and entertainment. I have looked at places like Woodstock but they have to much land and nothing in town. I just don't know what towns to look at as if you look at Lexington MA, I hate Arlington that borders it and VT seems like the same, where every town is different and just don't want to end up in the wrong town. Just looking for a small and very safe clean town where there is alot of family involvement...

Well thanks for any advice and spelling like be off as I write this from my phone

Last edited by pod; 09-18-2008 at 07:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 07:57 AM

1,822 posts, read 4,520,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pod View Post
If any of you have been to Concord or Lexington in MA you know what I'm looking for. I'm very young and retired, but I act very old. My weekends are spent inside... Looking for places with 4-10 acres ( not looking for hundreds of acres). Want a town where there is actually places to eat and not just filled with banks. Looking for a town that is semi active but are very relaxed people.

Sounds like you're describing Montpelier to me. You could get lots of house and property for way less than a $million, which is a good thing because you may want to set aside that extra $$$ to pay the property taxes. Also, there are wonderful homes/properties with somewhat lower taxes within 3.5 miles of downtown Montpelier in East Montpelier & Middlesex.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:02 AM

1,475 posts, read 3,663,663 times
Vermont towns are a lot different than Massachusetts towns. The only towns that come to mind are Montpelier, Middlebury and Norwich. Norwich is also right across from Hanover NH, so you have two small towns to utilize.

Middlebury might be too small.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:16 PM

122 posts, read 414,545 times
If you have a lot of money to spend, which it sounds like you do, you might like Norwich. I grew up there, and there are some gorgeous newer houses there. The taxes will be really high, but that might not be a problem for you. Hanover is really close with a nice, but small, downtown. There are lots of community things to do there, including much with Dartmouth College. West Leb. is there for shopping, with lots of smaller, cute shops. Boston is only 2 hours south, and Burlington is only 1 1/2 hours north, for changes in scenery.

Another town might be Shelburne. Some gorgeuos houses on the lake, or near it, very close to Burlington with much going on any time. Good luck!

Old 09-18-2008, 03:40 PM

119 posts, read 525,323 times
Default Shelburne!

I agree - check out Shelburne or Charlotte. You will fit right in. Charlotte has beautiful property on the lake.

Best of luck.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:28 AM

1,475 posts, read 3,663,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupperpatr View Post
I agree - check out Shelburne or Charlotte. You will fit right in. Charlotte has beautiful property on the lake.

Best of luck.
Those towns are nice, but neither has any kind of functional downtown. They are nothing like Concord, MA.

I'm thinking Norwich/Hanover is a close match. If I had cash and wanted to retire to VT that's where I'd go.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:07 PM

11 posts, read 17,094 times
Many choices I think for you cause seems like many people are just like you that are moving or have moved into VT. Sure you will feel at home with the independantly wealthy others. And sure the high taxes that the work'g folks of VT struggle with will not be a bother for you. I'd check out Woodstock, VT.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:43 AM

457 posts, read 434,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Vermont towns are a lot different than Massachusetts towns. The only towns that come to mind are Montpelier, Middlebury and Norwich. Norwich is also right across from Hanover NH, so you have two small towns to utilize.

Middlebury might be too small.
Just a warning that area is growing and the cops in some of the nearby towns like Hartford kill you for traffic tickets same goes for Lebanon and Hanover NH

Old 04-11-2012, 04:54 AM

1,643 posts, read 2,102,086 times
Sounds like Norwich, right on the NH border is what you want. Million-dollar "gentleman's farm" properties, sky high property taxes, etc. Generally a population of wealthy VT transplants,

10 minutes to the box stores in West Lebanon, 5 minutes to Dartmouth College and Hanover NH for upscale shops, restaurants, and College stuff. 2 hours to Boston.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:11 AM

1,559 posts, read 3,170,789 times
I would look into Shelburne or Charlotte. Nothing wrong with having money! Charlotte may not have a downtown but they are close enough to Shelburne and Burlington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont