U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 04:16 PM

53 posts, read 83,150 times

Advertisements

arctichomesteader,
I'm not dead set on VT. I've been through different areas and they appealed to me. I can't explain the reason why, it just feels like "home". I have researched parts of Maine as well, mainly north of Lincoln and Houlton, up as far as Fort Kent. It's just that VT was my preference. I know land prices are much cheaper in northern Maine. I'd be packin' and headin' for Alaska in a heartbeat if it weren't for my wife! LOL!
mustmove,
I've been trying to work with RE agents. They don't seem very interested. I'm sure it's because I'm not interested in the 250-500 thousand dollar ski lodge. I emailed one asking them to represent us as a buyer's broker..no response. I contacted another about one of his listings. He tried to deter me by saying you need a 4wd, snowmobile and the pier posts were leaning. I told him that didn't scare me as I already have a high 4wd, was working on getting a snowmobile and was in the home improvement business... No response.... I contacted another agent about another plot. They asked me a bunch of questions about my interests and if I would be interested in other properties if the first one didn't pan out (not their listing). I said sure, but asked them to refrain from sending me info about listings outside my parameters. They sent me no info about the one in which I was interested and immediately sent me info about a property that was their listing and twice the price I set!
arctichomesteader,
I sincerely appreciate you're taking the time to look up and refer the laws, but at the risk of sounding like a total idiot...Can someone put them in laymen's terms for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 04:21 PM

53 posts, read 83,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Where do you live? Why specifically Vermont?
Quickdraw,
I currently live in CT. I'm not dead set on VT, it was just my first choice. The more I learn however, the more I think that choice will be changing!

Old 09-22-2008, 04:45 PM

3,328 posts, read 8,770,254 times
Is it possible to come up and visit and have a realtor take you out to see what kind of property you can find? That will show the realtor that you are serious and maybe they'd be willing to invest some time for you.
I hope you find what you are looking for!

Old 09-22-2008, 05:04 PM

16,936 posts, read 22,223,319 times
Quote:
Can someone put them in laymen's terms for me?
It means you need a permit from the state, and it has to meet their standards. A traditional outhouse won't pass the standards. If a home with an outhouse (or other non-conforming system) was built before the cut off dates it's grandfathered in. A "primitive camp" is exempt but you can't live there full time if you try that route. Some of the expensive composting toilet units may (may have to argue with the permit people because they don't like non-conventional systems, plain and simple, and I've heard a lot of poor reviews for these toilets) be okay but you're still looking at a lot of time and money on this, which is why the septic permits are such a big deal and selling point.

What's your wife against Alaska for?

Old 09-22-2008, 05:05 PM

16,936 posts, read 22,223,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Is it possible to come up and visit and have a realtor take you out to see what kind of property you can find? That will show the realtor that you are serious and maybe they'd be willing to invest some time for you.
I hope you find what you are looking for!
Good advice. They aren't going to spend much time on someone just sending emails or phone calls from another state. Lots of people do that and never go through with anything.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:47 PM

894 posts, read 1,284,617 times
I'm guessing with low dollar properties you'll need to go to the listing agent to see it. RE agents probably aren't willing to do the work and then split a small sum of money. They are going to be unmotivated anyway with all the camp stuff. You'll probably have to show up and insist on seeing what you want. Hell some of the RE folks don't want to drive their personal vehicles up the driveways you are looking for...

Old 09-23-2008, 07:47 AM

1,475 posts, read 3,665,631 times
Are you tied to the east coast because of family? If not, there are places in the midwest that could possibly offer the lifestyle you are looking for and a lot cheaper. I just returned from Wisconsin and it hit me that this is where I'll eventually end up. I'm tied to the Northeast because my elderly mother needs me to be here, but when I'm no longer needed, I'll head to the midwest because Vermont is just so expensive. Minnesota and Wisconsin are great options.

Fortunately I've lived in Wisconsin and love it there, but Vermont will always be my favorite place. Now that I've decided I'll eventually be leaving I'm really enjoying it here. It will break my heart to leave, but I'll be going to another great place.

If you have your mind set on Vermont great, go for it. But if you are just looking for a certain lifestyle it can be had for much less to the south (if you can take the weather) or in the midwest.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:56 AM

1,822 posts, read 4,523,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I'm tied to the Northeast because my elderly mother needs me to be here, but when I'm no longer needed, I'll head to the midwest because Vermont is just so expensive. Minnesota and Wisconsin are great options.

I agree. If we weren't devoted to Vermont, I believe we'd be taking a serious look at parts of both MN & WI. My husband and I liked what we saw and learned of those states.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:18 AM

4,126 posts, read 4,457,024 times
Did you consider simply moving to a quieter neighborhood or a smaller town? Adjusting to living out in the boonies isn't as easy as you might imagine. Try before you buy, as it were.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:25 AM

1,941 posts, read 3,229,967 times
We had looked into Wisconsin for awhile, but I got scared off by the tornadoes. I don't know if it happens throughout the state, but we were looking within 45 minutes of Madison, and it just seemed that there was frequent tornado activity around. That right there killed it for me! That's one thing I don't want to ever have to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont