Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 10:06 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,499,841 times

Advertisements

Thank you for your condolences.

My grief is still raw, and it comes in waves. But most of the time, I am ok. When another cat, Mitzi died in 2004, it took a whole year before I could look at her picture without pain.

So far, I am genuinely glad I made the move from Brooklyn to Vermont. I really like it here. The people are great, the ambience is great and the scenery is great. Not spectacular, like it is further north, but beautiful enough to make this place a nice place to live. I do not want to return to Brooklyn, or to anywhere in the New York area. But it is close enough if I want to go there.

I live in the southeastern part of the state. I am near both New Hampshire (across the river - I could walk there) and Massachusetts (down I-91). I can enjoy both places and still live in a Vermont environment and a Vermont culture, which involves the arts, activism, participatory democracy and a sense of environmental stewardship. I can live in a neighborhood that is urban, suburban, semi rural or even rural.

But, in truth, I haven't looked for work yet, and that will determine if I can stay here.

I suggest you visit the area several times before you seriously think of moving here. And ask lots of questions on this forum. People will respond to you, as they have resonded to me.

I have been visiting New England since I was a child, and I always knew I wanted to live here. But I wasn't sure where. I knew I wanted certain things in my town and wanted to avoid certain other things.

I used to live in southern Rhode Island, where friends live, and I discovered I didn't like it there. But I had chosen that area because friends lived there, and not because I thought the place would be a good fit for me.

I researched my current town for two years, doing much of the research right on this forum. I asked lots of questions and lots of answers came. Sometimes threads took on lives of their own. But the bottom line is that I got a wealth of opinions, insights and knowledge. I have been teased for being so obsessively thorough, but the end result is that I moved to a place that feels absolutely right for me. At least for now.

Good luck on your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 11:21 AM

6 posts, read 9,449 times
The way you described Vermont using terms like activism, participatory democracy and a sense of environmental stewardship describes me very well. My wife and I are very progressive and have become frustrated with the social surroundings of the Midwest. The closest thing for us is a little village called Yellow Springs, about 25 miles east of Dayton. It's a very liberal college town full of creativity and acceptance. Comedian Dave Chappelle lives here which isn't surprising. If Vermont doesn't happen, then we'll likely move to YS.

We want to live somewhere that shares our perspectives on life. Our first choice was Canada, but she feels funny about leaving the USA. She has relatives in Mass. and has been to Boston several times. For me, there is a meteorology college in Lyndon that I've been wanting to go to so I can start a second career. Many things seem to be pointing to Vermont for us. But first I need to settle some financial obligations here, then find a job. Maybe in a few years, folks will see my old Volvo puttering through the streets.

I have just discovered this forum and will read it thoroughly. Thanks for the info.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:12 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Volvo View Post
The way you described Vermont using terms like activism, participatory democracy and a sense of environmental stewardship describes me very well.
Me, too! Living in Vermont allows me to pursue these activities in accordance with my values in my professional, volunteer, and personal life. It's extremely satisfying for me.

Could I do this elsewhere? Probably. But as you seem to, I prefer to live somewhere I feel at home in the culture. For me, that's Vermont.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:45 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,499,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Volvo View Post
Maybe in a few years, folks will see my old Volvo puttering through the streets.
I just looked at the Volvo website, and the cars they are advertsing have FWD or AWD. I hope you're driving one of the newer FWD or AWD Volvos and not one of the old RWD ones. Others on the Forum may challenge me on this, but I wouldn't dream of driving a RWD car in Vermont.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
Others on the Forum may challenge me on this, but I wouldn't dream of driving a RWD car in Vermont.

I wouldn't either. But when I met my husband, he drove a Ford Aerostar (RWD). It was his only Vermont car for 8 years and he drove it safely in all conditions. When there was snow on the ground, I couldn't even back it out of the driveway. It takes all kinds, eh?

Old 11-17-2008, 11:27 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,642 times
Quote:
When another cat, Mitzi died in 2004, it took a whole year before I could look at her picture without pain.
My first cat was named Mitzi. I brought her home from a farm down the road when I was 10yo. Even tho it was surprise to my parents they still let me keep her and she lived till she was 18yo even with getting a rear leg amputated when she was about 10yo.

Quote:
So far, I am genuinely glad I made the move from Brooklyn to Vermont. I really like it here. The people are great, the ambience is great and the scenery is great. Not spectacular, like it is further north, but beautiful enough to make this place a nice place to live. I do not want to return to Brooklyn, or to anywhere in the New York area. But it is close enough if I want to go there.
I like it when you sound positive about your move.

Sheryl - still alot of folks driving 2WD trucks in snow country but I'm with you as all my vehicles have been either 4WD or AWD.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Sheryl - still alot of folks driving 2WD trucks in snow country but I'm with you as all my vehicles have been either 4WD or AWD.

Actually, I'm fine with 2WD as long as it's front-wheel drive. I'd drive my 2WD Honda in nearly any conditions. I've never even driven a 4WD or AWD and have no plans to. However, my husband was driving a 2WD rear-wheel drive van in the snow!

Old 11-18-2008, 09:28 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post

Actually, I'm fine with 2WD as long as it's front-wheel drive. I'd drive my 2WD Honda in nearly any conditions. I've never even driven a 4WD or AWD and have no plans to. However, my husband was driving a 2WD rear-wheel drive van in the snow!
All these people driving 2WD trucks are all rear wheel drive and they get around just fine. They amaze me. Good tires, weight in the back and smart driving is the key. Even with a 4WD truck I rarely put it in 4WD. Every fall I put about 200lbs of bagged sand over the rear axel. Some people like to put in bags of salt.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:48 PM

105 posts, read 357,857 times
So sorry to hear about Sammy. It's tough to lose a pet.

I've always had cats. We had 2 Siamese cats that lived at least 21 years each. They were very good companions and I still miss them. Right now we have another Siamese and a Tiger cat. They're pretty spoiled and are definitely indoor cats, although I would allow them to go out onto our 2nd story deck off our kitchen because there weren't any stairs. The tiger cat managed to figure out low to LEAP off the deck between the posts if we left him out there too long There we some trees close to the deck so maybe he squeezed between the post and grabbed a tree, lol But we just moved at the end of October and there isn't any enclosed space I can let them out. I do take them out sometimes when I go out, although the tiger is what we like to call a "runner" He acts like he's on a prison escape and moves amazingly fast for an overweight cat, lol. The Siamese chews on some grass, gazes around and then relaxes in the grass.

You mentioned the wildlife......I got the thrill of my life a couple of weeks ago as I'm driving along and came to a curvy section of our road, a huge bobcat came streaking up from the river, crossed the road in front of us and took off up the hill. Both of us were absolutely amazed. DH remarked that it was a good size for a bobcat. Another neighbor mentioned seeing it near the same location too. So I'm hoping for another encounter......while safely enclosed in my car

Old 11-19-2008, 06:36 AM

6 posts, read 9,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
I just looked at the Volvo website, and the cars they are advertsing have FWD or AWD. I hope you're driving one of the newer FWD or AWD Volvos and not one of the old RWD ones. Others on the Forum may challenge me on this, but I wouldn't dream of driving a RWD car in Vermont.
I do have an older RWD brick (as the old Volvos are called by us Volvo geeks), but I use Green Diamond snow tires on them during the winter. They are remoulded tires (using a superior method compared to retreaded tires) made from recycled rubber. The tread has little bits of carbide granules embedded throughout. They have been fantastic in past Ohio snowstorms, especially with some extra weight in the trunk. I like them so much that I bought a set for my wife's car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont