U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 05:14 PM

1,442 posts, read 5,897,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Arel - I'd suggest getting a set of 4 snow tires. No need to go buy a new car (unless you really need one) and since you live right in town, a front wheel drive car with good snow tires will be just fine. If you are not a very confident winter driver, having an AWD won't make much of a difference IMO. Get yourself to an empty parking lot when it snows and practice, practice, practice!
I hope you can go get your cat tomorrow too. I'm sure he'd much rather be home.
I just may get new tires even if I'm still planning to buy a new car. I don't want to rush into things and the tires will buy me some time. I do not want to be afraid to take the car out because my tires are inadequate for road conditions.

I didn't often drive in serious winter conditions in Brooklyn. But sometimes I did. I don't like it, but I can do it. But last winter, I discovered my tires were woefully inadequate for a winter-slick road. I got home from work safely, but I did not enjoy the drive at all. I made a mental note about getting new tires.

Yes, I want my cat home. I'm not looking forward to insulin injections again (he was off insulin for about a year) but I want my kitty home. He's been through so much. He's still not out of the woods yet. We're waiting for biopsy results. He may have intestinal lymphoma after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 05:26 PM

1,822 posts, read 4,520,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
Yes, I want my cat home. I'm not looking forward to insulin injections again (he was off insulin for about a year) but I want my kitty home. He's been through so much. He's still not out of the woods yet. We're waiting for biopsy results. He may have intestinal lymphoma after all.

Oh, my, of course you want Sammy home! I'm so sorry he's still at the vet. I very much hope that he'll be home soon and that you enjoy much bonus time together.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:08 AM

I've been through these drawn-out cat illnesses before. They involve a lot of heartache and/or hard work. With Rudy, who died in June, there was the expectation of a cancer death, and then the (possibly mistaken) radiologist's report that he probably didn't have cancer. So for his last 5 months, there was no death watch or anticipatory grief. As a friend said, I was "able to enjoy him". He appeared fine until his last week, when he started to have trouble breathing. This was an untimely death for a wonderful, quirky cat. With Mitzi, it was a hopeless situation (squamous cell carcinoma) and a heartbreaking death watch. It was an intense time. With Alex, we knew he was dying, but I was glad to have brought him to age 15 with his diabetes. His death was sad and a loss, but it was not nearly as heartbreaking as Mitzi's. With Isis, I had to tube feed her for 11 weeks because of lipidosis. She eventually came out of it, but she relapsed and also went into kidney failure.

When you have a lot of cats during your life, you have all sorts of pet loss experiences.

With Sammy, we still don't know if he has lymphoma, inflammatory bowel disease or an infection. We don't know if his illness can be cured, if it can be controlled or if it is fatal. If it is fatal, we don't know how much time he has. Lymphoma is the most treatable kind of cancer, at least cat cancer, and different kinds of lymphoma have different remission times. Moreover, everything is complicated by Sammy's diabetes; it has worked synergistically with whatever else he has.

The best case scenario is that his condition goes away, and that his diabetes goes into remission (it can with cats, but it usually comes back.) The worst case is that he is dying. Actually, another bad case scenario is that the biopsy results are inconclusive and they treat him for IBD when he has lymphoma or vice versa. There is overlap in the treatment (steroids) but lymphoma usually requires other drugs as well.

I guess I'll know soon enough. They should have the biopsy results by the end of the week. I hope the results are conclusive. It's not as if we can wait for Sammy to be strong enough for the exploratory surgery and full-thickness biopsy. He needs treatment now, and the treatment, I have been told, will make a reliable biopsy impossible.

I may be picking him up today, if they think he is ready to go home and if the road conditions are not too problematic for my tires. I've been told he looks better and heavier.

Alex once became emaciated from his diabetic complications, but then he recovered and lived another three years. He remained thin, but he stopped looking skeletal. He had at least two crises where he was hospitalized with diabetic complications and the vet was not sure he'd make it. But he lived from age 8-9 to age 15 with diabetes.

Oh, well. At least I am going though this cat crisis in Vermont, or at least in New England. (Sammy is hospitalized in Massachusetts.) In Brooklyn, he'd probably be hospitalized at his regular vet's, with consults in downtown Brooklyn or New Jersey. Maybe he'd be hospitalized in downtown Brooklyn, where they have 24 hour intensive care. Ironically, I think I'd be paying less for his care in New York, probably a lot less, although of course I can't know for sure.

What I do know, though, is that his care here has been thorough but astronomically expensive. I'm paying much more than I ever paid in New York. But he was never hospitalized at a specialty hospital in New York. About $4500 so far and this is just for hospitalization and diagnostic work, plus the original visit with his new vet.

Well, I hope I make up the cost in reduced car insurance premiums. I think I'll make it up in about 2 years.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:14 AM

Quote:
I may be picking him up today, if they think he is ready to go home and if the road conditions are not too problematic for my tires. I've been told he looks better and heavier.

I'm glad that at least Sammy's immediate condition is improved. How stressful not to know what's going on. I'm hoping he will come home with you today so at least you both can have the comfort of each other's company.

Did you get a lot of snow in Brat? There's just a dusting on our cars in Rutland. No road concern at all. Whew!

Old 10-29-2008, 06:31 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,717,157 times
I'm not too familiar with Brat (we just drove through it last year to get to Hinsdale, NH to pick up our rescue puppy in February) but you may find yourself shopping differently in VT than Brooklyn.

We tend to shop once a week 'usually' because it is a bigger chore than it was back in NY. Where we used to live we had FOUR supermarkets in a five minute drive. Now we are about (since moving) 10 minutes one way from the main shopping drag. It's always crowded and we tend to do all the errands in a bulk (or a good amount of them) so it's a 2-3 hour trip to go to the supermarket, check out, deal with traffic, slow conditions/chores and get home.

Due to price and *attitude* we rarely shop at the local mom and pop stores. Yes, yes, I know 'small, friendly local shop' and 'support local blah, blah..' but 1) the 2 local stores (one in the village, one at the gas station) are not staffed by anyone the least bit 'friendly'. I have bought my newspaper a few times at each and they don't want to be bothered...!

We do support the local fruit/veg stand...it's very good but will soon be closing for the season. The corn there was the best I have ever had and I told them that.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:54 AM

So far no snow here in Bratt. I have to check the weather before I head down to Massachusetts to pick up Sammy.

He's coming home today!

GypsySoul22, shopping is not a bother in Brattleboro. There are three big grocery stores within 5-10 minutes away. There's Price Chopper at the South end of town, then downtown there's the Brattleboro Food Co-op, and then up Putney Road there's Hannafords. I haven't been to Price Chopper yet, but Hannaford's is fine. The Coop is awesome, but the prices are usually very high. Sometimes, they have good sales. I like Emer-gen-C and I paid about a third less at the Co-op than I spent on it in Brooklyn. It was on sale. I don't know how much it costs at its regular price. I am also able to get some boxes of cereall for about $3, when other boxes of similar cereal cost about $5.

If I want something they don't stock, I can special-order it, at no charge. I just did that the other night. I ordered an elderberry/olive cough syrup that was recommended to me to stop colds better than ecanacia. I used to buy it in Brooklyn; it was what the health food store staff used. It works, at least for me. I'm surprised they don't sell it at the Co-op.

I joined the Co-op. If I work I get 10% off my bills. And I'll meet lots of people. If I don't work, I get 2% off. I going to be spending 2 hours on Sunday bagging groceries there.

I find I can get just about anything I want in Brattleboro. There are some strip malls and franchise/chain stores (e.g. Staples, GNC, Rite Aid) up on Putney Road. There's a Subways franchise near downtown. Downtown, there is Sam's Outdoor Outfitters. Most stores in town, though, appear to be small businesses. People seem pretty friendly most of the time.

If I want bigger stores, New Hampshire is across the River. Walmart's is about 5 minutes away. In Keene there are more big stores. I know there is a Bed, Bath and Beyond store, and I think I have been in a Target there. There are, no doubt, lots of other well-known national stores.

Near you, in West Lebanon, NH. there is an LL Bean Retail Store! I can't wait to get up there!!!!

And nowadays, there is always the Internet. I like to browse on the Internet and then order by phone.

Last edited by arel; 10-29-2008 at 09:06 AM..

Old 10-29-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
So far no snow here in Bratt. I have to check the weather before I head down to Massachusetts to pick up Sammy.

He's coming home today!
YAAYYYYY!!!! I'm so happy for Sammy and for you. I think the snow is done. There's no sign of any winter weather around here, just the typical fall dark, damp, and chill.

Quote:
The Coop is awesome, but the prices are usually very high.
I like the Brattleboro Co-op. Many times when I've been on the road and in a hurry, I've been soooo grateful to be able to stop there for a delicious vegan meal. Oh, if you'll be around on Saturday, Nov. 15, the organization I work for will be tabling at the Brat Co-op around lunchtime.

I also like the
Putney Co-op a lot.

When you go to other Co-ops, be sure to bring your membership card from Brattleboro. Many Co-ops offer reciprocal member discounts. My Rutland Co-op membership card has gotten me membership discounts at the Middlebury, Plainfield, and Hunger Mountain (Montpelier) Co-ops -- so far! I'll try that at the Brat Co-op next time I'm there.

Click here (http://www.vermontcooperatives.coop/types%20of%20coops/food.html - broken link) to check out Vermont's food co-ops statewide.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:12 AM

Uh oh. Just got a call from the Co-op. None of their distributors carry the cough syrup I want. Ugh. I'm going to have to see if I can order it onoline, or, as a last resort, I'll see if I can order it from that store in Brooklyn. I don't know if they will ship the product to Vermont. But they might. They were so enthusiastic about it.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Uh oh. Just got a call from the Co-op. None of their distributors carry the cough syrup I want. Ugh. I'm going to have to see if I can order it onoline, or, as a last resort, I'll see if I can order it from that store in Brooklyn. I don't know if they will ship the product to Vermont. But they might. They were so enthusiastic about it.
Is Sambucol by any chance what you're looking for? We ordered it online. The website says it's also available here (http://www.sambucolusa.com/buy.html - broken link).

Old 10-29-2008, 09:45 AM

441 posts, read 838,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I'm not too familiar with Brat (we just drove through it last year to get to Hinsdale, NH to pick up our rescue puppy in February) but you may find yourself shopping differently in VT than Brooklyn.

We tend to shop once a week 'usually' because it is a bigger chore than it was back in NY. Where we used to live we had FOUR supermarkets in a five minute drive. Now we are about (since moving) 10 minutes one way from the main shopping drag. It's always crowded and we tend to do all the errands in a bulk (or a good amount of them) so it's a 2-3 hour trip to go to the supermarket, check out, deal with traffic, slow conditions/chores and get home.

Due to price and *attitude* we rarely shop at the local mom and pop stores. Yes, yes, I know 'small, friendly local shop' and 'support local blah, blah..' but 1) the 2 local stores (one in the village, one at the gas station) are not staffed by anyone the least bit 'friendly'. I have bought my newspaper a few times at each and they don't want to be bothered...!

We do support the local fruit/veg stand...it's very good but will soon be closing for the season. The corn there was the best I have ever had and I told them that.
Your posts are so humerous sometimes!!! I really got a kick out of this one! Thanks for making me laugh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont