U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 05:33 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,278,386 times

Advertisements

My dad and I are heading to VT since he is on the board of a Seminary there and has a meeting. My dad's 87 and I just don't want him make the drive by himself from a tiny town called, North East, PA. We have been to VT several times and loved it. My dad has meetings and I playWhat a deal!
We are staying just outside of Burlington. I have been to Stowe, Ben and Jerry's and the Museum with the wonderful old homes...can't remember the name right now.
What other things are there that I should do or see. Many times I just wander back roads and stop at small shops.
You have a wonderful state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 05:59 PM

441 posts, read 839,703 times
Go on the Vtliving.com website and click on Events which will give you a list of all the fairs and Octoberfests for this month. If you don't see anything that is of interest to you, how about apple picking or hiking. If you have a bike, bring it with you and go down the Burlington Bike Path. I heard it is a beautiful ride. Something is always going on near Church Street in Burlington. Enjoy!!

Old 10-02-2008, 06:05 PM

Thanks. I did see a bike path north of town and I mapquested it and brought that with me. I'll check that website.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:13 PM

2,186 posts, read 5,983,617 times
I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume the "Museum with older homes" is the Shelburne Museum.

Wallking or biking, as suggested, along the Burlington Waterfront Path is a great idea. I would also suggest taking a ride on a chairlift for an awesome view of the foliage. Several resorts within 45 min from Burlington will be offering these. Since you have been to Stowe I'll recommend Sugarbush, totaly unbiased, of course.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:58 AM

2,143 posts, read 7,187,651 times
Shelburne Farms.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:33 AM

1,822 posts, read 4,522,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
Shelburne Farms.
I second this recommendation.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:40 AM

Oh it was Shelboure, and it was wonderful. I almost would do that again since it was so well done and interesting. I spent the whole day there and really enjoyed it.
Someone mentioned "Sugarbush"-is that a resort or a town?
I'll try the waterfront path, that sounds great.
I'm so excited to go back and enjoy the beautiful surroundings.
Thanks you so much!

Old 10-03-2008, 08:19 AM

3,328 posts, read 8,769,368 times
Sugarbush is a ski resort in Warren, VT. It is in a very beautiful area. I would highly recommend a drive over there. Take Route 116 south out of South Burlington to Route 17 east which will take you to Waitsfield (just north of Warren). Then follow 100 north to Waterbury. From here you can continue north into Stowe, or head back to Burlington.
Keep in mind that the foliage in the immediate Burlington area is still on the early side, so to see the colors that have progressed along further you'll have to drive a little bit to the east.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:03 PM

1,475 posts, read 3,665,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Sugarbush is a ski resort in Warren, VT. It is in a very beautiful area. I would highly recommend a drive over there. Take Route 116 south out of South Burlington to Route 17 east which will take you to Waitsfield (just north of Warren). Then follow 100 north to Waterbury. From here you can continue north into Stowe, or head back to Burlington.
Keep in mind that the foliage in the immediate Burlington area is still on the early side, so to see the colors that have progressed along further you'll have to drive a little bit to the east.
I second this as the ride from Waterbury to Warren may be my favorite ride in Northern Vermont. Why? Well it's not quite as dramatic as Stowe and Smugglers, but I liking looking into the fields and closer trees with still pretty impressive mountains in the background. I also like the towns of Waitsfield and tiny Warren.

Since today was one of those postcard days I took a drive from Burlington-Smugglers-Stowe-Warren-Lincoln Gap-Bristol-Burlington.
My favorite part of the drive was Waterbury to Warren and over the Lincoln Gap. The absolute best foliage shots today, to me anyway, were on the Lincoln Gap.

If you want any more info on this ride let me know. I think it will still be nice this weekend.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:53 PM

My dad and I just got back tonight from VT. We had such a great time. I had several days to wander. I went to Stowe twice, drove the notch three times and spent one day with a gal driving up to the area they call the Kingdon. We took small roads and had some wonderful views. We saw three very different covered bridges. We drove up to see the stone house and the old mill on 15. What a great place to just enjoy the countryside. There is so much more I want to do and see. I will be back next fall...yea!
Thank you all for the great suggestions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have yet to see a MOOSE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont