U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2008, 07:24 AM

51 posts, read 159,440 times

Advertisements

I am moving to St. Johnsbury in May of 2009. That is where God has told me to go so I am. I need all the information I will need to get set up there. How much is it to get your electric/heat/water/phone turned on if your credit is bad. I expect to pay the most they make you so give it to me.I know it is hard to find a job and housing, but I am looking already to see what is available. I know no one can give me exact details this far out, but any information would be great. How quickly are the job/apartment/house rentals snapped up once the ad is put in the paper? I see the same places listed in the paper were there a week ago. Same thing for jobs. Will I have to apply for St. Johnsbury Academy when we move there for my high schooler? I have seen on here that the town pays for the kids to go there, but when I called they said I had to fill out the application. And how long til you are considered a resident for the school purpose? If we get there in May will she be fine to go there by the time school starts again? How is the middle school also? Is there a storage place there? We have ordered the phone book, but I am trying to see how much it will cost to either drive a u-haul up there or just get a PODS like move/storage thing for the move. I would like to do the PODS option if it is available just because it will be easier if we don't have a place to move into the day we move there. Does anyone know where the nearest portable moving/storage company is to St. Johnsbury? I will be moving from FL. so finding one down here is easy. It is finding one there that has been an issue. If anyone out there has a rental that will be available around May 22 that is a 2 to 3 bed room I would be very interested to hear from you. Sorry this is so long, but I want as much information as I can get. Thank you every one and I can't wait to meet some of you when I get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 11:02 AM

2,143 posts, read 7,195,702 times
Moving with no job? Do you have some savings to live on for a while?

Old 10-12-2008, 09:27 PM

890 posts, read 2,565,789 times
I am moving to St. Johnsbury in May of 2009. That is where God has told me to go so I am.

Did God actually use the words "St. Johnsbury, Vermont"? You are lucky that you have such a clear and direct relationship with the Almighty. Have you ever talked to anyone who has lived in Vermont, or have you visited there? It's a long way from Florida and completely different in every way. But good luck to you!

Old 10-12-2008, 10:17 PM

Thumbs up LOL I know, I know

dispite my first post I am not a rabid "Jesus freak". I just know in my heart that St. Johnsbury is where I am supposed to go. Believe me I still have my issues and questions for God even after being a "born again Christian" for over two years. I guess I am what pastor calls a fence sitter. There are some things I don't agree with but that is another topic totally. I plan to have some money saved up for the move. I always figure around $3000.00 to move in to a place. Even if it is less, just to be safe. Yes I plan to move with more than that. As to a job, I am willing to work any job I have to to support my family. I am a custodian right now, but am going to college for an AS in Office Management. Even though I won't have my degree when I move, this is getting me some experience in the field I want to work in(Computer classes, business classes, etc.). I am no slacker and am not afriad of hard work to make a living. If I have to work in a different town from where I live(which I hear is common there) I won't mind. And about Florida, I hate it here. I only moved here because my ex lived here when we got back together. Now that we aren't together anymore I am free to go where I choose. I can't stand the heat and humidity for months. I miss mountains, hills, seasons. I miss living somewhere where it does NOT look like one strip mall after another. I understand about the harsh weather there, but I know I can handle it. I love the fact that I can get response from real people who live in St. Johnsbury. Now if I could just get answers to the questions I asked that would be helpful. I am getting the phone book soon so I can start calling the electric/phone/water, etc. for the information I need from them. I would still like to know how quickly the jobs posted in the paper tend to be open? Apartments/houses too? Do any of the local realtors handle rental properties? Things like that. Thanks for the responses again. I love to get them.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:07 AM

3,329 posts, read 8,781,590 times
I grew up in the St. J area, so know it well
Job - you really should secure one before you move.If you don't, you should be able to find something such as as store clerk fairly easily, but you won't be able support your family with that kind of job. The area of Vermont that StJ is in is the most economically depressed part of the state. Not a ton of GOOD jobs. Plenty of service-type jobs.
$3000 will not get you far at all. You really should move with at least six months savings. The 3k will get eaten up right away securing your housing (first & last months rent and security).
Housing - because the area is the most economically depressed part of the state, the housing costs are lower. The Caledonian Record is where you need to look for apartments. Craigslist too. Denied:1up! Software () . You could contact a few local realtors who may be able to give you some names of folks who own rental properties around town.
The Academy-they will not admit your highschooler as a resident student until you actually live in town. So, when you get there and get settled, stop by the admissions office and get the ball rolling. Prep your high schooler for the fact that the school is heavy on tradition, has a dress code (no jeans, ties for boys), and does not allow any "bull" from anyone. I went there and loved it. The town school K-8 is public and is OK. My cousin's daughter goes there and is happy.
Be prepared for MAJOR culture shock. You're moving to a really small town where everyone knows everyone. To meet people, join a local church. Thats the best way.
For shopping/convenience type stuff...not much. There is a small mall in town that has a JC Penney and Ocean State Job Lot. There is a Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes etc. 20 miles away in Littleton, NH. Most folks drive the 2 hours to Manchester NH or 1.5 hours to Burlington VT for "real" shopping. There are a couple grocery stores in town so you won't have to go far for that.
What else would you like to know?

Old 10-13-2008, 10:15 AM

Wink thanks

I plan on having more to move with, the 3k is just for the apartmen(moving in expenses). Thanks for the school info. As for not having the "big box" stores in town, that doesn't bother me. This is the first time I have lived anywhere where I live literally 10-15 minutes from the Wal-mart. I am used to driving a bit to get my shopping done. I look at it as a chance to listen to the radio, catch up with the kids in the car, that kind of thing. Do you happen to know if there is a portable storage facility in the surrounding area? I checked with PODS and they have one in Southern NH or one in Portland ME. Depending on the cost I may go with them for the move if that is a cheaper option than driving a u-haul. Plus you get the bonus of being able to take your time unloading you stuff. Still checking on that though. Just like there, here there is a small one story mall about 15 minutes away, but for a bigger one we drive an hour to two depending on which one we want to go to. Not like we go to the mall every weekend anyway. To expensive for that. When we go there we ususally make a day of it. As long as there is a local grocery/food co-op I am fine. What is the nearest college? I saw there is a community college there in town on one web site, is that right? Thanks again for your reply. Now I am off to work. Three people short and only three of us there to clean tonight, ah the joy.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:19 AM

1,822 posts, read 4,528,430 times
I think some of the info you seek is available at the North East Kingdom Chamber of Commerce, which is located in St. Johnsbury.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:05 AM

3,329 posts, read 8,781,590 times
Lyndon State College is the nearest college other than CCV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont