U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 12:37 AM

9 posts, read 19,383 times

Advertisements

I've been living in BF since March after moving here from the Glens Falls area to get a job. It's a walkable town where everything is reachable on foot.

Actually, there are two bookstores, one is an used bookstore with stuff like first editions. There's also an arcade place with video games and pool tables that I pass each time I walk into downtown, but I haven't been in it.

There's also Nick's bar that is across from Miss BF and when my parents were there with me, I noticed the interesting ceiling there and my mom said they don't make ceilings like now. My father visits me often and somehow got addicted to going to Miss Bellows Falls. That restaurant on the canal is Boccelli's.

I was wondering about that burned building in the middle of downtown. Is that the one Oona's was in? Hope nobody got hurt.

They seem proud of their high school classes because they have a parade with a float for each class.

There's also a nice library that uses the Library of Congress categorization system and a health center in the south.

They have a festival on a weekend each year with awards for improvements of the old houses and fireworks launched from North Walpole. I was standing on the state line to watch that. :P

I also found a nice flea market, the Oh Zone, on the island part. There's also a building with metal arcs and posters about the history of the area on the island. Near the river, there's a small museum about the hydroelectric dam and fish ladders there and the fish of the river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 11:25 PM

16,780 posts, read 28,953,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanVT View Post
I've been living in BF since March after moving here from the Glens Falls area to get a job. It's a walkable town where everything is reachable on foot.

Actually, there are two bookstores, one is an used bookstore with stuff like first editions. There's also an arcade place with video games and pool tables that I pass each time I walk into downtown, but I haven't been in it.

There's also Nick's bar that is across from Miss BF and when my parents were there with me, I noticed the interesting ceiling there and my mom said they don't make ceilings like now. My father visits me often and somehow got addicted to going to Miss Bellows Falls. That restaurant on the canal is Boccelli's.

I was wondering about that burned building in the middle of downtown. Is that the one Oona's was in? Hope nobody got hurt.

They seem proud of their high school classes because they have a parade with a float for each class.

There's also a nice library that uses the Library of Congress categorization system and a health center in the south.

They have a festival on a weekend each year with awards for improvements of the old houses and fireworks launched from North Walpole. I was standing on the state line to watch that. :P

I also found a nice flea market, the Oh Zone, on the island part. There's also a building with metal arcs and posters about the history of the area on the island. Near the river, there's a small museum about the hydroelectric dam and fish ladders there and the fish of the river.
Yes, that burned out shell was Oona's. I believe it was in the fall of 2006. The fire started in the kitchen, I think it was after hours. No one was hurt.

Have you been to the fish ladder while it was operating? I haven't seen this one operating, but the one down in Hadley, MA was really interesting to see functioning. The shad run is sometime in late May to mid June if I remember correctly.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:27 PM

9 posts, read 19,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Yes, that burned out shell was Oona's. I believe it was in the fall of 2006. The fire started in the kitchen, I think it was after hours. No one was hurt.

Have you been to the fish ladder while it was operating? I haven't seen this one operating, but the one down in Hadley, MA was really interesting to see functioning. The shad run is sometime in late May to mid June if I remember correctly.
I was there after the run because I first read about the museum in a list of stuff to do for the Old Homes festival.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:25 PM

2 posts, read 6,433 times
I spent a lot of my childhood in Bellows Falls and absolutley loved it. I still have relatives there. I would like to return for the last years of my life.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:11 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,458,108 times
There is a continuing upswing of homes in BF; it is quite noticeable, especially Atkinson Street and even Greene Street re: redoing, painting, basic fixing up...looks nice...Ms BF Diner, as always, crowded...I stopped for a fast late-ish lunch a few months ago at a pub-type place a little way before the diner (on the L side)...pretty good actually.
And then of course, there is the convenience of zipping around the corner, going over the "bridge" and you are in NH heading to Walpole....

Old 08-19-2009, 03:49 PM

1,822 posts, read 4,517,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
And then of course, there is the convenience of zipping around the corner, going over the "bridge" and you are in NH heading to Walpole....

I went to a good contra dance in Walpole around 2006. I always feel warmth for a place with a good contra dance.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:11 AM

1,442 posts, read 5,894,003 times
As a newbie Vermonter, BF is on my discovery and exploration agenda. I want to check it out when the weather gets a little cooler. Right now my priority on a nice day is beach time. And a rainy day is no time to explore a town.

I have also heard that BF is on the upswing. I would imagine it's a good place to buy property in, as property values will probably rise. But in this economy, you can't depend on anything. It used to be assumed that real estate values always rise.

It's not assumed anymore.

I once saw a picture of a billboard in BF. It looked like something from the 1940's or 1950's. Something about Bellows Falls being a nice place to hang your hat. Is that billboard still there?

Old 08-21-2009, 12:03 PM

16,780 posts, read 28,953,910 times
Hi Arel -- It's actually a sign painted on the side of a building and yes, it is still there. There is a painted barn sign at the end of the exit ramp (91 N exit 6), another in town as you're heading south (across from the pharmacy/Tbird) and another coming into the heart of town as you head north -- just across from the arcade.

There are some neat funky shops. I enjoy Hula Cat. The owner is a tag/auction sale junkie who fills the store with 2nd hand items. It is so stuffed in there you can barely move! If he were in NYC, he'd be shut down for all manner of violations LOL. We've found a few treasures there after much digging.

The Bellows Falls Opera House has both live programs and movies. Check their website out to see what's going on...you might want to time your visit with a live program. Take in a little culture if you wish....

I have yet to see the petroglyphs near the river. Every time I find myself in BF, someone has something else on their agenda. sheesh.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:10 PM

1,442 posts, read 5,894,003 times
Petroglyphs?

Old 08-21-2009, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,758 times
This thread is bringing back lots of memories for me. I lived in and around BF between '87 and '95. Do they still have the fireworks over the river for Old Home Days? How about people bringing lawn chairs down by the river to watch the ice break up in the spring?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont