Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 03:07 PM

46 posts, read 123,124 times

Advertisements

On the map like all the other small towns in this great state but would appreciate some insight into the town if'n you have any.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 04:26 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,642 times
By Vermont standards I would not call BF a small town more like a small city. In my younger stupid days we all referred to BF as Fellows B*lls.

Seriously tho, since we all come with diferent preferences and diferent backgrounds the best way for you to see BF is thru your eyes and ears. Come for a visit!

Here is the CD page for BF, lots of great info
http://www.city-data.com/city/Bellow...s-Vermont.html

Old 10-16-2008, 05:07 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,267,750 times
I don't know that part of the state well, but do know that Bellows Falls has kind of fallen down in the dumps a bit and is/has been undergoing a bit of a renassaince (i can't spell that word LOL). If you search this board I think there was a thread about BF a couple years ago that discussed this.
Growing up, we always called it Fellows B*lls too!

Old 10-16-2008, 06:49 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,322 times
Hi, actually BF is really beginning to turn around; there are some terrific older homes, many very stately ones that have been purchased, being rehabbed and are looking great...there are some new shops popping up; I think to some there is the 'memory' of what BF was but it's changin'. Some new restaurants and of course, there remains the BF diner...pretty neat place too.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:11 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
I find Bellows Falls is experiencing something of a turnaround for the better. Rome wasn't built in a day, though, and it will take some time to get things where they need to be. New business is gradually coming in, buildings are being cleaned up. The old hotel has on the corner has been purchased, so it will be interesting to see what the new owner's vision is. Sadly, the building housing Oona's restaurant (which was gutted by a fire a few years back) is still a shell with boarded up windows. It pulls everything around it down a notch.

Throughout the town there are many great homes with some lovely architectural details and they are painted in such beautiful colors. IMHO, they have a very welcome and inviting feel to them.

I am not familiar with the schools.

We head into Bellows Falls to go to the movies at the Bellows Falls Opera House. They rehabbed it a couple of years ago and it is a treat to see movies there on the big screen. There's even a balcony! The tickets are reasonably priced - $4, popcorn, sodas and candy very fairly priced, too. There's always a decent turn out.

There is a neat little book store with a very pleasant owner, a farmers market on Friday nights during the season (tonight's the last one for the year) and a pretty decent hardware store. Sams Outdoor Stores have a shop in town which my husband and son love. I find their prices to be OK, not wonderful.

Miss Bellows Falls Diner's hours of operation have been a bit quirky; we went in a few years ago and there were new owners who were still learning the ropes of operating a diner. The food then was passable. It was more about the experience of eating in a genuine diner. Next door is Fat Franks which has some really great franks, hamburgers, turkey and veggie burgers. It's worth dropping in.

(I still wish Oona's hadn't burned down -- the dining was wonderful!)

Entering Bellows Falls from the north, Joy Wah has some good Chinese food (a picky NYer's opinion) and offers a discount if you take out -- it's their way of apologizing for not offering delivery. What a nice gesture. The interior is totally old school chinese restaurant -- I love it. There's a back room which is an addition cantilevered off of the building with amazing views of the CT river and NH.

The original Lisai's Market is located in BF, I frequent the one in Chester. I find it to have good deals on quality meat. There is a vast array of groceries as well.

The residents with whom I have interacted are a real mixed bag. There's everything from poverty to wealth. I feel safe wherever I walk, but keep my eyes open when I am by the river near the empty, dilapidated buildings. (That's just my cynical inner NYer surfacing.)

I like Bellows Falls. I would consider moving there if the right opportunity presented itself.

Old 10-18-2008, 03:22 PM

9 posts, read 28,305 times
Used to live the town over from BF (thats what we called it.) Lots of drugs, pretty neat little downtown area. trashy high school, (not that mine was any better).

Old 10-18-2008, 04:27 PM

9 posts, read 28,305 times
Oh and during the summer they had a group of teen girls who'd push their strollers around downtown. I heard to them referred to as "the pregnant parade"

Old 10-18-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenwallclock View Post
Used to live the town over from BF (thats what we called it.) Lots of drugs, pretty neat little downtown area. trashy high school, (not that mine was any better).
Spoken like someone from a rival school.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:11 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,322 times
What a terrific 'tour' of BF you gave....I just heard of another store that has moved in, well, actually I guess a few months ago...has some prints, clothes, and a myriad of 'stuff'...wish I could remember the name of it...close to where the brightly painted florist store is/was? Since the Ellis Movie Theatre in Springfield burned (yup, home of the Simpson Premier)...the only two other options for movie places: Claremont and Rutland...BF is closer for me...thanks for reminding me about it...

Old 10-18-2008, 08:52 PM

I am trying to remember colorful florist and I think it was Flowers on the Square? They are no longer there. The store you are referring to is a gallery, Spheris.

There's Hula Cat which is across from the music store and it is chock full of cool old things and Hawaiian shirts, Coyote Moon? which is were Radio Shack was. I am blanking out, but there is some sort of new shop on the same block as the post office and music store. There's an artists' shop with all sorts of locally crafted and created pieces. It's in the building adjacent to the Opera House.

There a cute little coffee house (good stuff!) on Canal St, just off the square. I forgot to mention Bocellis (sp?) which is on Canal, directly opposite Bridge St.

The Opera house is certainly worth checking out for movies tickets are $4 and a 'triple up' (soda, big popcorn and box of candy) is $3.75. Water is free. There are 4 of us and we buy 2 triple ups and ask for 2 waters. We can all go out for $23.50! Dinner at Fat Franks before the show and a 'Saturday night on the town' for all of us is under $50. Tuesdays the tickets are $2.50!

Since the rehab they've added AC, which is a pleasure in the summer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont