Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 07:25 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times

Advertisements

Puppies should never be free unsupervised (whether it's in your house or outside). So as long as you're with the tyke, he should be ok.

If he's the mix you think he is, he'll be fine by the time he's two (big and strong).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 08:06 AM

758 posts, read 2,889,132 times
Quote:
IMO cats are not meant to be "indoor" animals.
What exactly does that mean? Using your logic, then cats were never meant to be pets in the first place. They were doing just fine before we domesticated them.

Quote:
so he's only allowed outside during the day when we are around to keep an eye on him. He's a mouser. Doesnt seem to go after birds.
I highly doubt you watch it 100% of the time when it's outside. Just because you are home doesn't mean you know what your cat is doing. All cats that get let outside will kill birds...not just mice...plain and simple, whether you see it or not.

Personally, I care much more for the well being of native wildlife.....things that are truly "meant" to be here by god or evolution, than for a cat's "feelings". You cat will be fine if you keep it inside, and nature will be much better for it.

Quote:
Ever hear the term 'barn cats' critter reduction is the whole point of letting cats outside.
I bet 99% of outside cat owners don't own barns and don't store livestock feed. If they do, then I understand.

Also, people move to places like VT because they like nature, the wild setting, only to get a cat to kill the critters?

Old 10-23-2008, 08:10 AM

Take a quick read...please....

Cats and birds: Keeping cats indoors

Old 10-23-2008, 08:30 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,266,886 times
Fishnfool....again...it's MY opinion. Its not right or its not wrong. Neither is yours, because it is your OPINION, and I respect it, even though I don't agree with it.
Now, back to the ORGINAL TOPIC which is about safeguarding pets against predators (I'll admit I'm guilty of going off-topic-we are all human after all), obviously the best way is to not let your pet outdoors. BUT, if you want your pet to be able to be outside, then I stand by what I've said before and others have said - supervision is key and keep them indoors at night.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Fishnfool....again...it's MY opinion. Its not right or its not wrong. Neither is yours, because it is your OPINION, and I respect it, even though I don't agree with it.
I know, and sorry if I'm on my soapbox....it's just a issue that many people aren't even aware of and as someone who cares greatly about nature and wildlife conservation I think it's worth trying to educate people on. Not trying to make waves......and sorry for hijacking the thread.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:29 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,198 times
I admit that in the past I have had indoor/outdoor cats, though I don't agree with it now. The proiblem I always had with safegaurding them is that they wandered to such a degree that it made it impossible for me to keep up with them. Then they would eventually disappear or, as in one case that happened when I was 11 and was witness to, they would get hit by a car. I grew up in AL, so for pets around here the big problem is with snakes, possums, racoons, dogs, etc. When I lived in VT one of cats got loose, and for 3 days I couldn't find it. I eventually found it in a burrow by the creek. She looked traumatized, and was hissing and growling at me as if she didn't know me. It was very odd, there is no telling what she had been through. Then, there are others that I know of who have outdoor cats that just lay on the deck and catch bugs in the grass all day. I suppose it all depends on the temperament and survival skills of the cat. I realize that there will always be those who disagree and want their pets to be outdoors, and I don't fault them for it. I just hope that they are giving their pet equal time indoors and treat them as part of the family. They need affection and attention too.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:16 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,350 times
I see both sides of this argument. As far as kittens and puppies go, imho it's just a bad idea to let them off on their own. When they are adults, that is a different story.

Dogs- outside alone? depends on the sitch. Are they in danger from vehicles? Have they been properly trained? Do they have shelter if needed? Do they come when called? Are they guarding?

Cats- In my neighborhood there are quite a few outdoor cats that are getting along very well, thank you. We have fishercats, foxes, mountain lions, hawks, bald eagles.... all which make cats very low on the food chain which is why my 4 babies are indoor only. I have friends who have farms here where the cats are necessary for vermin control and no, you can't use exterminators every time the mice and voles decide to set up in your barn! Do they live as long? Not usually, but I've seen barncats reach 10-12 years old.

I think it's a matter of preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont