Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 07:25 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,190,890 times

Advertisements

Baffles me up how the term "redneck" invokes reference to race, financial means, location, yard trash etc......

Yes, brought up in small town TX and have been exposed to genuine rednecks my whole life and many great college grads in the family that are such. From, TX, ARK, MO, NH then VT. I always considered a redneck (not the oil field type) as a good ol' country person and maybe a bit of simpleton that is more concerned with the smaller things in life like hunting, fishing, animals, porches, pick up trucks, country music, family and everything else that might encompass. I think maybe way down deep I might have a bit of "redneck" but live in an immaculate $300k house that I built, pay my own way, take care of as many others as I can but deep down? throw me some Hank Williams, sit on the porch and let me grill for you at 30 below....my house is always open. It might be a more type of simplistic hospitality and living in a more simpler way (There's a movement for that now if you notice.....).

On the flip side, I detest being a simpleton to the point of ignorance. Fine balance with that one if you can achieve it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 06:24 PM

459 posts, read 1,036,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
You need to think about income tax. NH has no income tax at this time, but Mass does and you may have to pay income tax to both states if you work in Mass and live in Vt. Not to turn you off to living in Vt, but upstate NY is very affordable compared to Vt. I work in Burlington and many of my coworkers live in NY and commute to Vt every day. It takes about 1 hr by the ferry that runs up to the islands. You can live right on Lake Champlain for half the price of living on the Vt side.

As for rednecks, they are in almost every state. Some more than others. The majority of the state is rural and having lived in a rural part of the state for most of my life there are many rednecks. Many are as hard core as any redneck you can find in the south. Many are kind people who would give you the shirt off their back. In fifteen years I never locked my door once. People would never even consider breaking into a home or trailer in town. Not because of lack of crime, but as the old Vermonter down the road said " You break into a house around here, you may not make it out of the house alive." Many people have rifles in their homes. Not so much for protection, but for hunting. There are native Vermonters who don't like out of staters or "Flat landers" as many of us are called, and many people in rural areas don't consider Burlington a part of the state because it is so different than the rest of the state. Some will disagree with me on my opinions, but remember just a few years ago when a large portion of our rural state stood by the slogan "Take Vermont Back."
This is an excellent description of the difference between the two Vermonts, or more specifically, Charlotte and Milton. There is, to me, a growing divide in this state, and this description of "rednecks" describes Vermont country folk fairly accurately, at least a large portion of them.
I think Carolinajack is correct that poor whites are one of the last groups it is PC to make fun of, although I would add native Americans to that list. I also think that making fun of low income people of any color in certain circles will be seen (correctly) not as racism but as elitism. Some people really do feel better than others because they have more money, yet those same people are unable to acknowledge the enormous head start they almost certainly were given.

I assume its always been this way, and don't see why it won't be this way forever. Some people need to feel better than others to feel good about themselves.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,159 times
Pidgett is not a racist (in my opinion...and I'm a brown skin American). I FULLY understand what Pidgett meant. I ALSO do NOT want to reside amongst people with this type of mentality (ie. "LACKING" respect for their home/neighborhood and themselves). Yes! There are many people" who are a bit lazy/too busy because of their work schedule (ie. doctors, nurses, research scientists, firemen, policemeneople with heavy work schedules)whjo do NOT have the energy nor spare time to clean up their yards. (In this case, hire someone). . I have ALSO been looking into relocating to Rutland Vermont for the past (one) year. I did a lot of researching on rural cities in PA, NJ, MD, DEL and VT for a period of well over six (6) years. I had spoken to a rental agency in Rutland and experienced the people to be very, VERY NICE/POLITE/COURTEOUS and professional. Well, I hope that PIDGETT does find the home in the desired city/state. After residing in Berlin, Germany (since 21 April 1989), and being 61 yrs of age, whenever I see picturesque scenes (in movies) in America, tears stream down my face. I get homesick and it's quite overbearing at times. It's time to leave Europe and go back to the states!!!! (WASAWOO)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont