U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 02:36 PM

894 posts, read 1,283,593 times

Advertisements

Refineries in NJ as well. NJ has always had cheap gas, part of that was low state taxes per gallon and I believe VT has some of the lowest per gallon state taxes. I think we are just being screwed by lack of competition and the usual everything costs more here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 03:08 PM

166 posts, read 385,667 times
Perhaps an investigation into price gouging should be started. Gas buddy is reporting Darthmouth, MA at 1.99. Just over the border in NH gas is 2.13. CT is down to 2.12. NJ is down to 1.93 The cheapest gas in NY is in Platsburgh at 2.23(right across the lake?). Maybe someone should contact the local news as this would make a great story. Im curious what kind of profits gas dealers in the Burlington area must be making if everywhere around us gas is 50-75 cents cheaper. Burlington area still at 2.74-2.81 according to gasbuddy.com

Old 11-06-2008, 05:46 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,415,020 times
Please, please, folks, do not just assume that our higher per gallon fuel rates are simply relative to the cost of shipping. While some states like NJ/TX and a few others have the luxury of being refining states, hence lower rates, the markup in transportation costs does not push regional fuel upwards of .20 and .30 per gallon. It does appear to be that some profit taking is going on. With the current trend of per barrel rates below $70 being somewhat sustained we should in fact be seeing 1.75 to 2.25 rates, even here in Vt statewide. Anyway, this may all become a moot point as a sequence of events can push fuel back up, way up. Enjoy the prices we have right now.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:48 AM

166 posts, read 385,667 times
I contacted various local news outlets and WCAX ran a short story on their website. The Burlington Free Press said they are working on an article. Some of the data I provided was from a friend who works at a local gas station in Burlington who said that indeed serious price gouging is going on. Seems that all of the stations are almost in on it together and their excuse is lack of comeptition according to my friend. He also mentioned people seem to be clueless that gas is just above $2 a gallon all around VT. He also said his store is making 50 cents a gallon profit on gas currently. I also contacted various state agencies but have yet to recieve a response. I think you will see prices coming down real soon

Highest U.S. Gas Prices In Vt. And N.Y

Burlington, Vermont - November 6, 2008

Even though gas prices have fallen since the summer, Vermonters and New Yorkers are still paying some of the highest pump prices in the nation.
According to GasBuddy.com, Vermont's average gas price of $2.65 a gallon is the fourth highest in the country.

WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-Highest U.S. Gas Prices In Vt. And N.Y.

Last edited by MTK1; 11-07-2008 at 09:57 AM..

Old 11-07-2008, 11:59 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,415,020 times
I said the very same weeks ago and was shot down. Oh no, it's the extra distance we are from the refineries, etc, etc. Profit taking is in progress. We have the fourth highest gasoline prices in the nation only behind Hi, Ak , and NY. Funny, have not heard Bernie rallying about this like when just awhile ago he was going on about taking on the cable TV companies for the rates they charge up here. The problem is that it's not mean ole nasty corporate big oil right now causing you here to pay an extra .30 to .50 per gallon, it's our own local distributors and retailers. I don't need cable to get to work everyday, but I do need gasoline.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:34 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,056,514 times
On CNBC two days ago they stated the national average was 2.20/gal. The cheapest I found in the area was in Montpelier at 2.53/gal. You can't help but think we are being gouged(normally at worst we are at the national average). Many of the states to our south have much higher gas taxes than Vermont and the price of fuel is much cheaper than we have here in state. CT always has had more expensive fuel by 50-75 cents. Give us a break already!

Old 11-08-2008, 01:03 AM

469 posts, read 1,486,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
From what I understand, Opec has called an emergency meeting this week to discuss the rapid drop in oil prices. Let's hope they don't cut back supply. I just got 300 gallons of oil for $2.95.
I wish I had enough cash to get another couple hundred gallons.
Wait so you bought gas, like fuel in case prices get really high, for $2.95 ... $2.95 for 300 gallons or did I read that wrong? Imagine...

Old 11-08-2008, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
thre are over 10 states where gas has dropped below $2 a gallon. Houston dropped below $1.75. We are paying the vt price on gas as on all the other little things.

wow!! Dayum and i thought i was paying cheap. $2.15 here, damn texas is cheap! Where else is it under $2.00?????

Old 11-08-2008, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK1 View Post
Perhaps an investigation into price gouging should be started. Gas buddy is reporting Darthmouth, MA at 1.99. Just over the border in NH gas is 2.13. CT is down to 2.12. NJ is down to 1.93 The cheapest gas in NY is in Platsburgh at 2.23(right across the lake?). Maybe someone should contact the local news as this would make a great story. Im curious what kind of profits gas dealers in the Burlington area must be making if everywhere around us gas is 50-75 cents cheaper. Burlington area still at 2.74-2.81 according to gasbuddy.com
Where in NJ did it say it was $1.93? By the way what is the cheapest place in New York City, where do you find out these averages?

Old 11-08-2008, 08:15 AM

894 posts, read 1,283,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowOrNever View Post
wow!! Dayum and i thought i was paying cheap. $2.15 here, damn texas is cheap! Where else is it under $2.00?????
There was an economics blog that was keeping track they gave up when the price was below 2. in around a dozen states. There are online gas price listings by state if you search for them. 2.25 for the cheap stuff at Irving in Hanover yesterday. Local general stores are at 2.79
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or