Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 08:26 AM

894 posts, read 1,547,207 times

Advertisements

Jon Noyes to replace departing Dana Jewell on WDEV's morning show: Times Argus Online

I don't know how much DJ's make anywhere in the country but I find it surprising that going from being a popular DJ to a car salesman is an -opportunity he couldn't pass up. Is VT so sad that someone capable of running a radio show is better served selling cars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 08:38 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,112,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
I don't know how much DJ's make anywhere in the country but I find it surprising that going from being a popular DJ to a car salesman is an -opportunity he couldn't pass up. Is VT so sad that someone capable of running a radio show is better served selling cars?

My friends who work in radio, including in major markets, tell me that being on-air talent is extremely low paying work. Some of them work several jobs to be able to afford the radio jobs they love.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:39 AM

2,060 posts, read 3,942,096 times
I have heard the same thing - definitely not just a VT thing.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:09 AM

2,143 posts, read 7,999,725 times
DJ's really don't make that much. On the other hand, it's not the hardest job in the world. And contrary to what many people think, local market radio stations aren't a gold mine. WKRP in Cincinnati was pretty close to true.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:22 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,126,753 times
Quote:
Jon Noyes to replace departing Dana Jewell on WDEV's morning show: Times Argus Online

Are you kidding? Unless you work for a big station in New York or LA, you are going to make absolutely peanuts. Not to mention his shift was 4 hours. There are guys would do that job for free. This has nothing to do with Vermont My question is why does he have to get up at 2 to be at a job in Waterbury at 5?

Old 09-16-2008, 10:37 AM

894 posts, read 1,547,207 times
My Bad. I didn't know that radio is universally low paid.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:01 AM

23,517 posts, read 69,907,878 times
My experience has been that DJs and on-air radio personalities generally have HUGE egos. The engineers used to DJ from the transmitter site during off hours, and I always found them much more comfortable to be around than the talent down at the studio. Bart's "Hermit of Hunger Mountain" schtick always used to crack me up, and he pulled it off quietly and without fanfare, outshining "Ma Fricker" and some of the other characters in humor.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:34 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,126,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
My experience has been that DJs and on-air radio personalities generally have HUGE egos. The engineers used to DJ from the transmitter site during off hours, and I always found them much more comfortable to be around than the talent down at the studio. Bart's "Hermit of Hunger Mountain" schtick always used to crack me up, and he pulled it off quietly and without fanfare, outshining "Ma Fricker" and some of the other characters in humor.
Typical disc jockey. Fifty-ish... twice divorced.. loves his job but lives in tiny
studio apartment because he makes no money...sees himself as quasi-intellectual....absolutely no job security...chain smoker.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:46 PM

367 posts, read 692,304 times
Quote:

Take it from someone who is in the business, radio doesn't pay much at all. We do it because we love it, not because of the money because it just isn't there.

Jon is a great guy, hysterically funny and does a GREAT Harry Carey impression. DEV is losing a good one in Dana Jewell who is simply a prince of a man and is perfect for DEV's weird format.

As far as radio personalities go, some do have large egos, but guys like Jon, Rich Haskell, Jack Healey, George Commo and Dana are as self-depricating and easy going as the day is long.

Last edited by radioclown; 09-16-2008 at 03:54 PM..

Old 09-19-2008, 11:46 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,835,148 times
Default I had to laugh..

....at QuickDraw's desciption of the average DJ; probably more than a bit of truth to it; some may be drawn to it, but be prepared to move around very frequently, with little financial security.

As far as WKRP is concerned, remember the line " town to town, up and down the dial.." ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont