U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 07:35 PM

894 posts, read 1,283,737 times

Advertisements

Thanks. No worries we will be fine. We are just close to the point where losing the equity in our house in turn for living in a location with better employment makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 07:54 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,654,390 times
I understand your thinking on that. But before you do that, have you thought of doing a lease option or rent to own? Also, if you don't mind me asking, do you have somewhere else in mind to move to?

Old 10-26-2008, 09:39 PM

894 posts, read 1,283,737 times
Moving to Boston. Not a big fan of MA in many ways but in other ways it works. Pretty much have one job lined up, I think we will move and rent in MA and try and pay both till we sell. I'll probably call the mortgage company and see about paying interest only while the house is empty and on the market. I'd imagine the mortgage company might be OK with that considering they probably aren't interested in owning more houses these days. Being a landlord in VT is risky, we have gobs of laws protecting tenants. There is a shortage of rental properties. Funny how that works. I've heard it is over 6 months to throw deadbeats out plus you can't evict in winter plus a bunch of other stuff. Leads to low quality rentals and not many of them.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:55 PM

4 posts, read 9,087 times
Hi...it's my first post so forgive me for butting in...but I definitely think you should consider Vermont and the MEPN program at UVM. I have lived here for more than 5 years and for similar reasons (although I'm not sure if I'm going to apply to the MEPN program or a RN yet). The plusses far outweigh the negatives and if salaries aren't that important to you, and you want a better atmosphere for children with far less crime etc... then put it at the top of your list of states! I don't know burlington itself because we live way out, but in general, like other posters have said, the job opportunities in many private sectors don't exist, but, in healthcare, social work, and education and tourism, there are plenty of options. It took us a while to adjust to the lower pay scale and the ...but, well, I could go on and on... just do what works for you!!

Old 10-26-2008, 09:59 PM

4 posts, read 9,087 times
Again, I have to put in my 2 cents... definitely look long and hard at any possible tenants before even going there...we were financially ruined by tenants who not only were legally allowed to stay in our home, but we had to pay their heat/electric and plowing because they "couldn't". I love Vermont but you are right in that they have probably the worst landlord tenant rules.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:59 AM

47 posts, read 96,744 times
dalgal...the job opportunities in many private sectors don't exist, but, in healthcare, social work, and education and tourism, there are plenty of options.

Please use facts to back this up. There is only one healthcare provider in Burlington and that is FA. The UVM program is good, but the cases you will see do not reflect the cases needed to actually provide decent training scenarios. Also the cost is very high at UVM.

These other options you speak of pay between $8 - 11/hour max and are not plentiful and you have a multitude of people applying for one job. Please do not give the lady asking questions a false sense of security.

Vermont jobless rate jumps to 5.2 percent, highest since 1993 | burlingtonfreepress.com | The Burlington Free Press

A Census report released Tuesday offers a dim picture of Vermont's economy: the state's median household income for 2006-07 dropped by 4.7 percent from 2004-05. Burlington Free Press Wednesday Aug 27, 2008

Old 10-27-2008, 07:58 AM

I have posted on several different boards asking where there was still construction going on, which is how NY( Buffalo specifically) and Morgantown came into play.

Your Husband is in construction....general laborer, carpenter, steamfitter, electrician?

VT came into this because they have a direct entry Master's program, which would save me time in school.

What other schools have similar programs in states you would like to live?

I also like it's location, close to Canada, etc.

From Burlington (1 hr drive), very little english spoken (french based province), no menus or signs are in english, GST and VAT make sales tax 12.5- 14% of what you purchase (spend $100 and add $12.50 in tax), No you cannot get the GST and VAT back any longer if you spend over $200, The Canadian dollar tanked last month, but it was within parity most of 2007-08. Lots of people here say Canada is great, but they haven't been in years. There is real shopping in Montreal, fine dining, shows, music, etc...and then you realize you have to pay for it, for gas to and fro, and understanding french.

We have also been told Wyoming,Montana and believe it or not North and South Dakota have a very strong economy in certain areas as well, but the northeast is just closer to family.

Lived in the following states: (NY,PA,VT,SC,TX,OK,MO,KS,GA,NE) last twenty five years.
Just moved here from Omaha NE. Very much a slow, family based, hardworking, not much culture, not my kinda town. Lots of decent paying jobs for construction (not sure on how long this will last). Other industries are also always looking for workers. There are some very good companies based in Omaha. Housing isn't bad and can be found for reasonable prices(property taxes are #3 in the US). The city itself wants to be Chicago,KC, St. Louis...and tax you accordingly to live visions of granduer which is driving people away. Education is UNE @ Omaha and five other smaller universities. Shopping is decent, flights out aren't real cheap, food prices aren't so bad (Costco is drving down prices locally), education and environment for children is very good, highschool sports are very important, people with kids are always doing something with their kids (majority of the midwest is really family oriented, very hardworking people that push quality like no other). All of my employees in NE worked harder than any from the US, never missed work unless they were going on vacation with family. KS and MO were both very much the same as NE with variations of costs, taxes, housing, education, education, and things to do. If you want to know I would be happy to explain.

In this part of NC, we are paying $1500 rent and our electric bill is between 250 and 350 A MONTH. It has never been cheaper than 250, we hardly used the AC because we are in the mountains, so the cost of this is ridiculous.

The cost of housing here is crazy. A decent fixer upper,maybe on an acre would be about 235K,if you're lucky.

as a real estate license holder in KS,MO,SC,NC I also know market prices.

Just a quick search brought up 14 pages of homes and some are very nice from $100k to 250k. You do get more bang for your buck in NC than VT.

Ashe County

The taxes on property are reasonable,but you sure get taxed on everything else.

What is everything else?

I actually worked in real estate for a few years, so I know the market around here.

Some of those statistics you were mentioning might apply in other parts of the state,but we live in the Western part,up in the mountains...it's a whole different game here. During the last gas crunch, we couldn't even get gas for a couple of weeks.Texas had gas and we didn't!

My stats were for NC other than grocery costs which you should have an Ingles neraby.
Gas distribution to the SE was short due to pipeline outtages, thus your area suffered. Your area is also in a drought, manufacturing has also suffered a great deal over the last 20 years, you have an influx of retirees moving down from the NorthEast that are driving prices up, and your education system is not very good. Yes, NC isn't great the farther west you go from Charlotte. You do have Asheville, but it never really recovered from war 143 years ago. Most of the rural south is still fighting the war and/or restart the war.

There are really a hundred different reasons we want out of the south. I could go on and on, but won't bore you. There are things I love about this place and have met some fantastic people, but this is not where we want to stay. however, we want to make a smart move, and not move from one depressed area to another.

Build an Excel or Access database with your top ten cities. Ask yourself what you are looking for and research the top cities with your questions. It is alot of work, but with phone calls, emails, and requests for relocation packages from COC websites you will find your top locations.

My wife and I have started this as well.

Mean weather temps, avg summer and winter
demographics (gender,race,age of city)
hobbies (cost,location to)
taxes (state,county,city)
crime stats

generalized finder Best Places to Live: Compare the Best Cities & Small Towns for You!

Old 10-27-2008, 08:00 AM

Cananda now has a new program

The Government of Canada has eliminated the GST/HST Visitor Rebate Program and announced the introduction of the Foreign Convention and Tour Incentive Program.

Visitors to Canada

Old 10-27-2008, 08:45 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,654,390 times
I don't have time right now to reply to everything, but just wanted to ask quickly, do you know where Ashe county is? Lol, it's beautiful but on the other side of the state.I am literally right outside of Asheville,different ...waaaay different from Ashe County. I've also done some real estate searches,I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

I liked the idea of doing a spead sheet of sorts for the places we're considering,I've got a notebook,but the spread sheet would def be easier.Good idea!

I'll respond to the rest of this later, gotta run!

Thanks!

Old 10-27-2008, 02:13 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,415,311 times
May sound strange to say, but the only bright spot I see for myself coming up within a year is the fact that I am scheduled to deploy which will mean a whole year of tax free earnings which I will be able to sock away. Hopefully during that time frame the value of my home will not sharpley drop and with any luck conditions nationwide will improve so I'll be able to reevaluate options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont