Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 02:59 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,960,211 times

Advertisements

Hi ya'll,

My family and I are trying to decide where to move this coming summer. We have it narrowed down to Morgantown,WV, Upstate NY,or the Burlington area. Can anyone tell me what kinds of jobs are available in Burlington? Is there any construction going on?Is it hard to find work there?

I also have heard how expensive VT is as a whole,but I gotta tell ya, the prices of real estate look better and more reasonable than they do in Western NC.Is it because of taxes or heating costs that it's characterized as expensive? Just wondering, what's the reason?

Please fill me in!
Thanks,
Marian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 08:31 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,005,817 times
I can't speak for Burlington but here we have a wide range of 'jobs' but a good portion of Vermont's jobs are in travel and tourism.

The pay is laughable to start out in many jobs--think $10 as a base...seriously. It doesn't matter what you do, an office job, the guy who holds the sign at the construction site, the waitress...they pay poorly unless you are lucky and get in with a good company. Of course some people have GOOD jobs and make decent money. I can't see that all the people I encounter with their nice cars and decent homes live on $10 an hour (hello--please let me in on your secret)

Not everyone can be a doctor or professor?!!

Old 10-21-2008, 09:00 PM

226 posts, read 690,898 times
Yes, the main problem in Burlington isn't getting a job, it's getting a job that will actually support you. There are always overqualified people moving here from major metropolitan areas who are willing to take salary cuts to raise their kids here. They seem to swoop in and take a lot of the $40k+ jobs. Also, there's a glut of people with college degrees here, so that won't take you as far as it might elsewhere.

I'm not sure about taxes, but heating costs are fairly high, especially since you will need to heat your home more months of the year than in other states. See past forum questions for clothing and other cold-weather recommendations - it gets mighty chilly here!

Old 10-22-2008, 07:34 AM

3,457 posts, read 10,216,373 times
Goatwoodward gave you a good overview of Burlington. There ARE good jobs here, but a lot of competition to get them. Pay will most likely be lower than you are used to. I do know that my other half's company pays competively with the major urban markets in order to retain folks here, so there are some exceptions.
Tourism is Vermont's #1 industry so lots of hotel/restaurant/tourist attraction type jobs. The Burlington are is home to 5 or so colleges and universities so there are jobs there. Then you've got your banks, insurance etc. Big employers are IBM (though they seem to be in the news every 6 mos or so due to job cuts), GE Healthcare, UVM, etc. For an idea check out Seven Days | Vermont's Independent Voice or burlingtonfreepress.com | The Burlington Free Press | Burlington news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Burlington, Vermont. I personally find that Seven Days has a better classified section.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:48 AM

894 posts, read 1,546,812 times
Zero private sector job growth in the last ten years. Expensive. But if you've just gotta live here go for it.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I can't see that all the people I encounter with their nice cars and decent homes live on $10 an hour (hello--please let me in on your secret)
There are quite a few folks that 'live' in VT but work full time in Boston/NY/CT and leave the spouse and kids up here for the work week. Not a great lifestyle but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:36 AM

166 posts, read 439,868 times
Another thing to consider.

Vt. Economist: Recession Will Get Worse

Vermont's unemployment rate is the highest it has been in 15 years. And an economist at the University of Vermont predicts things are only going to get worse.

Economist Art Woolf of the University of Vermont is predicting that another 6,000 Vermonters will lose their jobs over the next year.

Woolf says this is Vermont's worst recession in 25 years.

WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-Vt. Economist: Recession Will Get Worse

Vt. jobless rate highest in 15 years

This recession is going to be a real wake-up call for Vermonters,” Wolff said. “I wouldn’t be surprised if the unemployment number gets up to 6 percent in the next year.”

“A lot of companies are uncertain about the future,” Cioffi said. “Those with their own financial resources are holding on to it right now and that’s affecting spending on all levels. The No. 1 cost for an employer is labor, so hiring decisions are being put off.”

“What’s happening in Vermont is not just about the national economy,” she said in a statement. “Our rate of job creation over the past five years is less than half the national rate and the Federal Reserve says we have the slowest economy in New England.”

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...22002/0/NEWS02

Last edited by MTK1; 10-22-2008 at 10:48 AM..

Old 10-22-2008, 12:29 PM

Thanks for all the great links and advice. I will definitely check them all out! You have offered some great insight and information that I wasn't aware of. And just to clarify, there are several reasons that Burlington is one of the places we are looking for. There is a fantastic program at UVM that offers direct entry into the Master's of Nursing, which would mean I would graduate a year earlier than at some other schools. That is a huge bonus! Although my hubby would still need to find work to support us in the meantime. We don't rely soley on his income,but what he brings in is the majority. There are numerous other reasons why we are looking into this area, it's not just because as someone put it "we just have to live here",we have good solid reasons. However,no matter what our other reasons may be, if we can't survive there, they become null and void, right?

We have made a "wrong move" before and don't want to do that again.Vermont seems like a wonderful place, but we want to live somewhere we will be accepted and of course, can actually afford to pay the mortgage and eat all in the same week.

So, as always, I welcome any advice / info you can offer.Thanks!
Marian

Old 10-22-2008, 01:00 PM

There are other liberal states with better economies.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
There are other liberal states with better economies.
I understand that. But like I stated before UVM has the perfect program for me. There are also other reasons,which I would be happy to explain,if you would like to hear them.It really has nothing to do with being in a liberal state,although that is an added bonus. I'm not sure if you are offering genuine advice or if you just don't want any more newcomers moving in. I'm not trying to be offensive,sincerly,I just want to raise my family in a place I can finish school and be able to feed them while doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont