U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 01:44 PM

9 posts, read 17,961 times

Advertisements

wow... after reading the article it doesnt sound like such a bad trade off.. if i knew i was moving to Vt any time soon i might have looked into it myself... even though i dont know how remote it is and all that that goes with it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 02:33 PM

441 posts, read 838,835 times
It's a beautiful country town about twenty minutes from Rutland. I think someone took over the store already, but it's worth checking into.
I have been meaning to go to Back Home Again. Sheryl raised my curiousity about it in one her previous posts. I've been trying to stay away from Rutland because everytime I get too close to a TJMaxx I want to spend money. The temptation would be just too much for me!

Old 10-29-2008, 02:39 PM

1,822 posts, read 4,521,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
I've been trying to stay away from Rutland because everytime I get too close to a TJMaxx I want to spend money. The temptation would be just too much for me!
LOL!! TJ is one of the only places I occasionally buy a new (versus used) piece of clothing now and then. :-) (Okay, jokers, I only buy new underwear and socks -- organic, too!)

About Back Home Again, they close at 3 pm on Fridays and reopen Monday morning around 11 am. Their sabbath is Friday sundown to Saturday sundown, and they take Sundays off. So don't show up on the weekend and be disappointed!

Old 10-29-2008, 04:35 PM

441 posts, read 838,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
LOL!! TJ is one of the only places I occasionally buy a new (versus used) piece of clothing now and then. :-) (Okay, jokers, I only buy new underwear and socks -- organic, too!)

About Back Home Again, they close at 3 pm on Fridays and reopen Monday morning around 11 am. Their sabbath is Friday sundown to Saturday sundown, and they take Sundays off. So don't show up on the weekend and be disappointed!
When you say used clothing are you talking about "The Mission"? Someone took my husband there a few weeks ago and when he came home you would have thought he won the lottery!! He bought a brand new pair of jeans for $7.00. Funny isn't it....we don't blink an eye if we have to spend double the amount on a better cat food but for ourselves we watch every penny.
I didn't know that BHA was not open on the weekend...thanks for letting me know.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
When you say used clothing are you talking about "The Mission"? Someone took my husband there a few weeks ago and when he came home you would have thought he won the lottery!! He bought a brand new pair of jeans for $7.00. Funny isn't it....we don't blink an eye if we have to spend double the amount on a better cat food but for ourselves we watch every penny.
LOL! Sounds just like the priorities in our household. :-)

The Mission is a good one. Camille's on the east side of Merchants Row just north of West Street is great. Also the Salvation Army Thrift Store on Field Avenue just off Route 7 North (just south of Godnick's Furniture & Ace Hardware). Oh, and there's the Good Cents thrift store on the corner of West Street & Court Street.

Happy bargain-hunting! :-)

Old 10-31-2008, 08:16 PM

Small business for sale in downtown Brandon, VT (http://picketfencepreview.com/WeeksK.htm - broken link)

Old 11-08-2008, 04:34 PM

12,975 posts, read 2,879,675 times
We have two properties that are commercially zoned...one in Hubbardton and the other over the border in NY.......I have lived in Rutland County all my life....and can try to link you with potential properties of interest to you. It sounds like a business venture is of interest to you. There may be lake establishments for sale that would offer the budding entrepreneur a challenge in the tourist industry.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:16 PM

19 posts, read 59,575 times
Default Vermont Employment

Don't know if you have considered the NEK but it's beautiful here. The big employer in this area is Homeland Security. Lot's of people up here from as far away as Arizona. They'll also be expanding in the near future.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:21 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,056,956 times
Come up and see if the area you are interested in is what you want. What you get in pictures or what you think an area may be like in your head can be very different from reality. You may love the area or you may find that it's not for you. As stated in a previous post rent when you first move here and make sure you will have a job or income to support your family. The job market and/or good pay is tough. Some people get used to the winters and for others it's the deal breaker. If you rent and find that the long winter is to tough or the cultural change is difficult you are only tied down for a year. With the tough economic forcast there is much to think about. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont