U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 08:24 AM

1,822 posts, read 4,523,232 times

Advertisements

I just got a forwarded email. Unlike most of the ones about personal safety, it didn't read like an urban myth (although it did have the usual histrionic opening paragraph, so I almost didn't read it). In fact, I thought it was a good idea. Wish my car key wasn't $75 to replicate or I'd consider getting one made just for my bedside.

What do you think?

PUT YOUR CAR KEYS BESIDE YOUR BED AT NIGHT.

Tell your spouse, your children, your neighbors, your parents, your Dr. Office, the check out Girl at the market, everyone you run across.

Put your car keys beside your bed at night. If you hear a noise outside your home or someone trying to get in your house, just press the panic button for your car. The alarm will be set off, and the horn will continue to sound until either you turn it off or the car battery dies.

This tip came from a neighborhood watch coordinator. Next time you come home for the night and you start to put your keys away, think of this:

It's a security alarm system that you probably already have and requires no installation. Test it. It will go off from most everywhere inside your house and will keep honking until your battery runs down or until you reset it with the button on the key fob chain. It works if you park in your driveway or garage If your car alarm goes off when someone is trying to break in your house, odds are the burglar rapist won't stick around... after a few seconds all the neighbors will be looking out their windows to see who is out there and sure enough the criminal won't want that. And remember to carry your keys while walking to your car in a parking lot. The alarm can work the same way there.....

This is something that should really be shared with everyone. Maybe it could save a life or a sexual abuse crime.

P.S. I am sending this to everyone I know because I think it is fantastic. Would also be useful for any emergency, such as a heart attack, where you can't reach a phone.

My Mom has suggested to my Dad that he carry his car keys with him in case he falls outside and she doesn't hear him. He can activate the car alarm from anywhere in the yard and then she'll know there's a problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 09:07 AM

19 posts, read 48,355 times
It's not a bad idea if you have a plan set up with your family/neighbors and such - for Vermont it'd be useful for older folks who may slip on the ice or something - it'd be a good way to let people know. Crime isn't as big a deal here in most places obviously but still not a bad idea if you're concerned about it.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:31 AM

894 posts, read 1,284,617 times
Some places car alarms won't raise an eyebrow. Some places in VT there isn't anyone close enough to hear it. Get trained and get a weapon or count on luck.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
Some places car alarms won't raise an eyebrow. Some places in VT there isn't anyone close enough to hear it. Get trained and get a weapon or count on luck.
Where I live in Rutland fits neither description. We neighbors care about each other and regularly check in with each other when sights or sounds don't seem right.

I am trained in firearms care and use from an early age and choose not to go there.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:32 AM

1,941 posts, read 3,229,967 times
Yeah, in NY, we ignore all that kind of stuff. Unless it goes on for hours, and then we call the noise police.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
Yeah, in NY, we ignore all that kind of stuff. Unless it goes on for hours, and then we call the noise police.

Remember that old ('70s) Saturday Night Live spoof TV ad that had a car alarm going off late on an NYC night? The product in the "ad" was a laser gun that ID'd the car emitting the offensive noise and blasted it to vapor. Hallelujah!

Old 11-02-2008, 06:51 PM

926 posts, read 2,453,184 times
I teach this in my class on Senior Safety, I definitly approve. And when I wias living at my old apartment and my car was right outside my window, I slept with my keys then. Now its too far for the signal to reach but Im not worrried about my safety in this are and building either

Old 11-03-2008, 04:42 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,416,671 times
I guess it would work, but it really depends where you are at and what kind of neighbors you have. As has been mentioned, some places the alarm will be ignored. In my former city cars with alarms that would go off actually got vandalized due to the noise.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:35 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,729,544 times
Key alarm, pepper spray, big mean dog, shot gun...it's all good.
(note I am from NY originally)

Old 11-06-2008, 10:08 AM

224 posts, read 625,553 times
I need a car alarm more for finding my car in the parking lot at the mall. Safety isn't a huge concern where I now live (although when I lived in the O.N.E., a neighboring apartment in my building housed dealers and was broken into)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont