U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 11:40 PM

17 posts, read 173,907 times

Advertisements

MG midget? I remember them. They're more like go-carts than cars. Did they have enough power to go uphill? Must have been tough in the mountains.

Yeah, I too looked into the Western NC area. Asheville real estate is waaay too expensive at the present time. But Cary and some of the other areas [mentioned above] look like good possibilities. I can't handle flat - too boring.

Eastern Tennessee looks good too. You have the mountains (well, big hills anyway), proximity to Knoxville, and the ability to get a beautiful house on ten acres in the 350 to 500,000 range. I zipped through a few months ago and was shocked by the grocery and restaurant prices. What a difference between there and VT/MA! I could live like a king.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 12:25 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,415,020 times
A few months ago did quite a bit of research on the Asheville, NC area and have come to the conclusion that real estate prices and patterns of development construction don't suit my tastes. Still plan on visiting the region though in order to get a first hand impression. The mountains and especially being near the Appalachian Trail are important to me. Am more and more leaning towards the Roanoke Va area for multiple reasons. It seems not even a week can go by where the news here in Vt does not have notice of yet another impending tax increase to fund this, that, and the other. Last week the push to add a conservation tax on heating oil, tonight the house approved the pre K program while not taking substantial measures to rein in education spending. Several of my colleagues are in the active stages of initiating steps to plan for relocation and my wife has agreed now not to spend money on several permanent improvements to our home and land because she realizes that it's only a matter of time when we will actually make the decision to leave as well.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:56 AM

198 posts, read 745,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
A few months ago did quite a bit of research on the Asheville, NC area and have come to the conclusion that real estate prices and patterns of development construction don't suit my tastes. Still plan on visiting the region though in order to get a first hand impression. The mountains and especially being near the Appalachian Trail are important to me. Am more and more leaning towards the Roanoke Va area for multiple reasons. It seems not even a week can go by where the news here in Vt does not have notice of yet another impending tax increase to fund this, that, and the other. Last week the push to add a conservation tax on heating oil, tonight the house approved the pre K program while not taking substantial measures to rein in education spending. Several of my colleagues are in the active stages of initiating steps to plan for relocation and my wife has agreed now not to spend money on several permanent improvements to our home and land because she realizes that it's only a matter of time when we will actually make the decision to leave as well.
You are not alone.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:24 AM

24 posts, read 90,306 times
The hardest thing for me in the winter was not being lonely because I lived in Burlington and always had people around. BUT most people drink a lot in the winter...especially downtown but it's everywhere. (drinking and driving in a BIG problem in VT) It's gets really boring after a while when the only thing you have to look forward to is waiting outside in the cold to get into a crowded bar EVERY weekend. There are a lot of things to do in VT during the winter but they don't always come cheap and you lose the motivation to do them, at least I did. A major reason for that is the lack of SUN...Vermont is not known to be sunny during the winter, it's not like being out west. Plus the mountain is VERY windy and icey...which doesn't make for fun sking. Not seeing the sunshine makes a lot of vermonters very depressed... It takes a lot to get yourself up and outside...which is why I now live in FL. But Vermont is a wonderul place...it's just not for everyone!

Old 04-06-2007, 01:26 PM
mjm

19 posts, read 49,121 times
There is really nothing better than getting snowed in...nobody can bother you, you don't have to go to work, you don't have to do anything but play in the snow...I really don't understand what is not to like about that!

Old 04-06-2007, 02:52 PM

275 posts, read 1,187,492 times
Now that sounds awesome!

Old 04-06-2007, 07:53 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,374,288 times
Yeah - The day after Valentines day this year. Even Burlington school kids had a snow day.

...we went skiing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont