U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 01:13 PM

12 posts, read 47,921 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any really awesome discount food stores? I live in Groton, and wouldn't mind a drive to get there, as long as the store isn't disgusting and it'd save me more than the gas money to get there. I use coupons frequently. Food costs are scaring me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 01:33 PM

3,331 posts, read 8,790,004 times
There was a place profiled on WCAX a few days ago....bad news is that its in Rutland (pretty far for you to go). WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-Discount Grocers Lure More Shoppers

Old 11-05-2008, 02:11 PM

894 posts, read 1,288,257 times
That's easy. Super walmart in Woodsville, NH. Great prices. FYI Walmart buys as much Cabot products as they can at whatever Cabot sets the price. There is local stuff and they aren't ripping off third world farmers etc. Prices are outstanding.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:00 PM

Uhhh, No...Walmart in woodsville isn't outstanding. That is where I'm doing my shopping now...

Old 11-05-2008, 05:36 PM

894 posts, read 1,288,257 times
What do you want? A supermarket? General Store? Co-op? You could get to Lebanon/Hanover pretty quick for the co-op there(it's expensive). Barre has a Hannafords you might like Hannafords it is South of Main St. a few miles down RT 14. I think it's 14 if you go right at the split heading South through Barre it is about 3 miles down the road on the left.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:03 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,422,894 times
If you live in the sticks then your choices are limited. Even bulk shopping only goes so far with fresh foods or other specialty items. Being in Chittenden County I vary my shopping between Price Chopper, Shaws, and Hannafords and get what I like and what I need usually at sale prices. Competition breeds affordability.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:53 PM

5,774 posts, read 12,326,905 times
The next time you're in St. J stop at one of the two day-old bread stores. Everything is half price or less. One is on Rte. 5 about an 8th of a mile north of Price Chopper. The other is on Rte. 2 heading toward Concord about the same distance beyond The Farmer's Daughter. If you have a freezer - stock up.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:40 PM

1,442 posts, read 5,908,301 times
In Brattleboro there is Dotties, which is owned by the Brattleboro Food Co-op. It used to be next to the Co-op, in that shopping area near the Hinsdale Bridge, but it is now on Flat Street, a block away if you cross the foot bridge by the Co-op parking lot. Items are very well discounted, but you have to check things like expiration dates and/or "use by" dates. I do my shopping at Hannafords and, for certain items, the Co-op. I find the Co-op usually very expensive, often prohibitively so, but I find some good buys with sales. In addition, as a working shareholder, I get a 10% discount.

I have noticed that food here is very high. This goes for all kinds of food - groceries, restaurant food, take-out food, cat food. I wonder how much of that is due to inflation and how much to local economy issues. I now have to buy a new cat food for Sammy - when he ate the old food I could hear his digestive noises in the next room - and it costs over $2 per can!

Restaurant and take-out food are very high much of the itme, although you can get a good lunch special soup and main dish - in a very good Chinese restaurant here (Panasian) for less than $7. Still, I remember when paying $3 for a meal felt extravagant. But that was a long time ago.

And if you buy organic groceries, you pay a much, much higher price than if you buy conventional groceries.

But you may have lower medical bills down the road.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:58 AM

I occassionally go to the co-op in Montpelier for bulk buying spices, yeast and oatmeal. I haven't been to the "bread store" in years! I should shop there again. They have one on the Barre-Montpelier road as well, but the last time I was in there, they were a lot more expensive than the one in St. Jay. Thanks for the tips. I did see on WCAX that discount food place, that was why I was trying to see if one was closer to me. 2 - 2 1/2 hr drive is a little out of my league. There is a save-a-lot in gorham NH I think, but that too is quite a drive and I'm not sure if it's worth it after paying for gas. I definitely stinks living in the middle of no where.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:21 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,772,848 times
In White River Junction there is a discount food store near the Greyhound Station but I think this would be a bit of ride for you, plus I have heard mixed things about it (food out of date/beat up/junk). Another person I worked with liked going there, so ?

On the topic of food, may I say while I LOVE the Co-ops because of funky items and lots of interesting and healthy stuff, the prices are CRAZY high. I like the one in WRJ when I get there occasionally even though I can't go and buy much (unemployed). Even when I work, I cannot justify spending more than I can get something for at the local supermarket).

The Hanover Co-op (we went there Sunday while in the town) is INSANELY priced. One box of oatmeal (Quaker) $4.25...paid less than $2 at Walmart (no comments.!! ) that morning.

I support our local farm stand but I simply cannot shop at the Co-Ops..

And while on the topic, I am fed up with there being only "Mom and Pop" pet stores here or ones with out much competition--the prices are insane on things. I am going to consider buying more online this winter. I miss having Petco near by (not brilliant but at least you got rewards/the occasional toys on sale....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or