U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 07:38 AM

2,970 posts, read 5,796,326 times
Also check out Everready in St. Albans.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:22 AM

46 posts, read 79,121 times
Slower than honey at -20?

Have submitted to 6 different companies to date using all the required lines of communication. It is a slow process and one wonders if they wait for the inbox to reach a specified height before looking into strong applicants or not. Ha ha. I'm in my league with all my submissions but so far no news to pass along despite follow ups on my part.

Thanks for listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 08:25 AM

Have you tried calling and talking to potential employers over the phone (or stop by in person) vs. email? I'd try that first if you have not done so.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:57 AM

That will be phase #2. I'm hitting all the "we are looking to fill etc" type of requests first then I think I'll start selling myself over the phone.
I'd be happy for a chance to interview as I have never not landed a job I interviewed for....yet.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:18 AM

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:31 AM

Will do.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:52 AM

No news and the future looks grim.
I'm going to start making cold calls next monday....holy you know what.

Spoke to a gal in HR at one company. They had over 170 applications come in over a 3 day period.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:41 PM

14,333 posts, read 13,048,675 times
Welcome to reality in Vermont. If you get desperate enough you'll also want to consider other jobs that may seem "beneath" you. I know of people with doctorate degrees working as corrections officers and people with bachelor degrees working as janitors. That's the economic reality in VT. If you find something to scrape by on feel blessed. With so many employers cutting back, be happy with whatever you get. Sorry if this sounds bad but it's the truth. Good jobs were hard to come by when the economy nationally was good. It should come as no surprise that stealing, poaching game, etc., is all on the rise. People are getting quite desperate. Anything that pays the bills will be more than what many have right now.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:18 AM

I', going to scale back my search but continue to remain on the prowl.
Better the Devil I know than the one I have yet to meet?
I have seen the pay rates for some of the jobs listed and wonder to myself who takes the work and how do they make a go of it?
I job that used to pay me $48,000.00/year pays $12/hour here?

Old 11-15-2008, 04:47 PM

1,574 posts, read 3,196,976 times
You are just repeating what so many already know from experience. To some it comes as a shock as they either feel they are worth more for their education and experience or just can't come to fathom that the wage disparity really can be so significant. Yes, there are exceptions, but they are the minority versus the majority. We now are getting to the next phase of the economic maelstrom where for many of us who felt our positions were secure just a few months ago , now are getting vibes that this in fact is not so. Be thankful for any steady work you have now even if you feel you are underpaid, undervalued, and not appreciated. Best of luck to all and hope we can all get through the upcoming holiday season without having our livelihoods impacted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont