Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: has anyone heard of weeks school rumors?
yes 5 55.56%
no 4 44.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 07:54 AM

2 posts, read 16,650 times

Advertisements

I am looking for any information avaible on what used to be the Weeks School [formerly an orphanage and juvenile delinquent home until the late 1970's.] I was a resident Of Northlands Job Corp in Vergennes back in 1991 and there were a lot of rumors about what was formerly the weeks schools. Rumors of abuse and unnatural deaths. I can't find any information on the school either way. That makes me think that some of the rumors may be true and a small town is trying to cover up a terrible history. Does anyone have a information either way? Perhaps there is an article or a site somewhere taht can help me.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:35 AM

23,585 posts, read 70,350,712 times
Nothing odd that I'm aware of. I worked at Waterbury, and the brother of a friend married a girl that had been there. More likely the rumors were used as boogieman stories to keep kids from acting out. - "If you don't behave, I'm going to send you to Weeks!"

That said, whenever you get that large a group of people together, and have to impose some sense of order and discipline, there are bound to be isolated events.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:14 AM

2 posts, read 16,650 times
Those made for some pretty good boogieman stories. Living in those buildings with all the stories and the tunnels going under some of the buildings made for some good late night scare the crap out of each other sessions.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 8,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythebee View Post
I am looking for any information avaible on what used to be the Weeks School [formerly an orphanage and juvenile delinquent home until the late 1970's.] I was a resident Of Northlands Job Corp in Vergennes back in 1991 and there were a lot of rumors about what was formerly the weeks schools. Rumors of abuse and unnatural deaths. I can't find any information on the school either way. That makes me think that some of the rumors may be true and a small town is trying to cover up a terrible history. Does anyone have a information either way? Perhaps there is an article or a site somewhere taht can help me.
I was a resident of the reform school for about 3 years from 1965-1968. There was never any severe treatment that I saw. I ran away 1 time but was punished by being locked in an unlit room for 24 hours (I was fed and given bathroom breaks) and when I was released the councelors had me run down a road while they drove their car behind me. Most of the people in charge were college educated and treated us quite fairly.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:29 AM

319 posts, read 963,079 times
Default gov. weeks school.i was there for 5 or 6 yrs. who was your cottage parents

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythebee View Post
then ill believe u were there.i was the youngest kid there.i was in macdounah (sp) cottage.mr&miss barrows & mr greenleaf was superintendent. coach whictom&aldrege. dr zahler the srink.taught me to play chess.i too ran away with my cousin albert shores we were physicaly tortuerd for over a week by mr barrows.my knees were never the same scince that week.im 58yrs old now .ya its on mcdoughna dr isint it.as you top the hill i was in the first cottage on your rt.when we ran away we went up over the long hill behind that cottage.past bthe farm. we use to pich strawberries in the morning and if u ate any u could not go swimming in the afternoon.they would check your tounge.i could tell u stories for sure.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:05 AM

Default oh ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by unconscious View Post
then ill believe u were there.i was the youngest kid there.i was in macdounah (sp) cottage.mr&miss barrows & mr greenleaf was superintendent. coach whictom&aldrege. dr zahler the srink.taught me to play chess.i too ran away with my cousin albert shores we were physicaly tortuerd for over a week by mr barrows.my knees were never the same scince that week.im 58yrs old now .ya its on mcdoughna dr isint it.as you top the hill i was in the first cottage on your rt.when we ran away we went up over the long hill behind that cottage.past bthe farm. we use to pich strawberries in the morning and if u ate any u could not go swimming in the afternoon.they would check your tounge.i could tell u stories for sure.
other people bob waterfield mr cliff rivers mr garifono mr jhon whitcomb a very very good man. philup gains dewayne hanlon larry elison cliff peterson jhon moorison cut some fingers off in woodworking shop im still tramatised.rubby racheal.shot and killed a man at lake champlain long ago.went to windsor.there were rumors when i was there about the open feild between otter creek and the first cottage on the lft.wich in latter yrs i lived in it was an a class cottage and that ment u were ready to leave but no place to go.mr simons the decorations at xmass still are some of my fondest of memories.marching back to the cottage at night from the gym or chapel sneeking that last smoke for the day.we even made up a song about mr jhon witcomb & mr greenleaf & smoke deals on mcdoungh dr witcomb said hed get us and he took us by suprise he gave us 40 dailies and he slapped us in the jug greenleaf let us out and then we plastered him with mud.mr @ mss andrews children connie andrews a class cottage parents one other daughter cant recall name.mr robert crane.

Last edited by unconscious; 01-18-2009 at 02:10 AM.. Reason: spell

Old 01-18-2009, 01:41 AM

the only place i lived that i know for sure is haunted was the warner bhome for wayward childre133 high st. st.albans vt.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:03 PM

10 posts, read 39,415 times
Question missing aunt

My aunt, Cynthia Louise Putnam, Attended the school in the late 1970's. I don't know much about it but what I do know is that it was closed a few months after my aunt disappeared. An investigation into the school found that the people in charge were having inappropriate relations with the students and drugs had become a problem.
We still have no idea what happened to Cynthia. She disappeared well before I was born but my grandparent's 50th anniversary is coming up and we are hoping we could give them some closer so if anyone has any information, please inform me.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:55 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,233,318 times
Not sure if this is any help, I found an alumni page.
Not many signed up there.

Weeks School, Vergennes, Vermont (VT) (http://www.classmates.com/directory/school/Weeks%20School?org=18044561 - broken link)

Old 01-24-2009, 07:24 AM

10 posts, read 39,415 times
Thanks, but none of them are from the years she attended. there is a gap because it was closed for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont