U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 05:43 PM

894 posts, read 1,283,593 times

Advertisements

filled up for 1.89 in NJ Sunday. After having spent time in MA and NJ recently passing gas price signs up here really cheeses me off. VT is one of 5 or 6 states where you can't get gas for less than $2.00.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 07:55 PM

1,442 posts, read 5,897,418 times
Gasoline has gone down below $2.00 per gallon????

That's really something. It's nowhere near that here in Brattleboro. Last time I bought gas, maybe last week or early this week, it was way over $2.00.

One thing that has shocked me up here is the high price of everything. Food, especially. Also veterinary care.

But my biggest shock is how much less I have to pay for car insurance. One month's Brooklyn premium pays for over half a year of Vermont premium with almost the same level of coverage. The exception is the personal injury protection. The state of Vermont only allows for $10K of medical payments, while I had been covered for up to $50K in New York. But I have to tell you, I got the shock of my life when my company told me what my premiums in Vermont would be. Fortunately, it was a good shock, unlike so many shocks these days.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:15 PM

Looks like somewhere in VT gas is below 2.00 CARPE DIEM: Gas Available Below $2 Per Gallon in 48 States

Kansas City has 1.39 gas. Will VT ever catch up?

Old 11-20-2008, 09:11 PM

1,822 posts, read 4,520,799 times
It's $2.11 in Rutland today. Getting there. Slowly.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:22 PM

166 posts, read 385,667 times
VT still has the 4th most expensive gas in the U.S. The taxes on gas in VT are some of the lowest in the U.S. As an example CT has the second highest overall state, federal and local taxes on gasoline and it has $1.73 gas. Taxes on gas in CT are 65.6 a gallon compared to VT's 38.4. Transportation costs are not that much of a factor. Price gouging is defintely in full swing.

Arel the only thing I saved on when I relocated from CT was car insurance. However, the higher prices of just about everything here will erode that one savings away quickly. The winter will take a beating on your car up here and additional things such as snow tires, rust due to salt, the cold climate on an engine, etc will quickly make it more expensive to own a car in VT. Food prices are outrageous here as well. On a recent trip to visit my parents in CT I noticed that some items I buy quite frequently were half the price in CT.

I can't come up with the link right now but VT was recently ranked the 9th most expensive state in the country to live. Factoring in wages the few good qualities of life here are simply not worth it in my opinion and the many people I have met that relocated here share the same opinion.

Last edited by MTK1; 11-20-2008 at 11:33 PM..

Old 11-21-2008, 08:30 AM

1,442 posts, read 5,897,418 times
If there is price gouging on gas, why is the government not doing something? Why are the journalists not doing something?

I was probably naive, but I thought that Vermont was a pretty clean state and that its government cared about its citizens.

If what you said is correct, then I was clearly wrong.

I agree that the prices here on almost everything are appallingly high. I wondered if this is due to inflation or if there is something else going on here in Vermont. The food prices here are as high as in NYC, or almost as high.

I would like to support local businesses, but not if I'm going to get gouged.

I live in a border town so I will check out the gas prices in New Hampshire.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:38 AM

VT pols rail against price gouging by large companies(big oil, banks etc) but the little businesses(in state donors$$$) are allowed to gouge all they want. Despite the same result for the consumer. One of our VT pols and I can't recall which was saying what a great business microbreweries are because the markup is several hundred percent. Profit percentages on oil are in the low single digits. Which one is the evil company? Welcome to VT.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:55 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,717,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
I agree that the prices here on almost everything are appallingly high. I wondered if this is due to inflation or if there is something else going on here in Vermont. The food prices here are as high as in NYC, or almost as high.

I would like to support local businesses, but not if I'm going to get gouged.

I live in a border town so I will check out the gas prices in New Hampshire.

Yep, yep, and yep.

Gas was $1.99 a gallon the other day in Lebanon. Oh, happy day.
Food is as much as on Long Island (I ask my sister & mom what they pay for items.)

Fruit here is outrageously overpriced (apart from what I was able to get at the farm stand). Lemons, oranges...whatever..! Even grapes which are usually a cheap item are expensive. The quality is not very good at all. Yes, I know, they have to ship it further.

Gas is cheap now...so???

Arel, you have to remember you don't have many markets like in NY anymore (I assume you can get deals in NYC for fruit/various things). Here you have one or two supermarkets.

I wish we had a Super Walmart (our closest one is in Concord).

You will soon learn buying locally and 'supporting diversity' are interesting terms that are bandied about a lot here...I am still trying to figure it out.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:15 AM

1,822 posts, read 4,520,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
You will soon learn buying locally and 'supporting diversity' are interesting terms that are bandied about a lot here...I am still trying to figure it out.
I don't know that I've figured anything out, but we buy everything local that can be gotten locally. If it's grown here, we buy it from a Vermont/New England grower. If it's not grown here (e.g., coffee, sugar, chocolate), we at least buy it from small local merchant, usually in bulk at cheaper prices and better quality than anything I've seen at conventional markets.

Someone mentioned Quaker Oatmeal, which is a great example. We don't by "designer" packaged oatmeal, which costs more at the regular grocery and the co-ops. Instead, we buy bulk organic oats from Vermont growers -- cheaper, fresher, and tastier. I eat oatmeal every day so this is a major item in our house.

We occasionally buy fruit that doesn't grow here, such as avocados or limes, but we mainly stick to local apples, melons, berries, and such. Excellent quality at reasonable prices. During the growing season, we buy extra and freeze it for the winter.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:38 AM

1,941 posts, read 3,227,464 times
While I have a lot more shopping options down here in NY, I have to agree with Sheryl...if you buy in bulk, can/freeze, and make stuff at home, it's usually (not always) more economical.

We make our own bread, muffins, freeze fruit/vegetables, jams, etc...buying flour/sugar/oats/etc in bulk and having a well stocked pantry with basic items goes a long way in reeling in expenses. Stocking the pantry from the beginning can be a bit pricey, but once you have all those items, it's a lot cheaper down the road.

If I buy a muffin from a store, it's $2. I probably make a dozen muffins for the same amount, if not less. Same with oatmeal. Anything that is 'convenient' is usually more expensive to buy rather than make. Buying berries when they are in season and then freezing/canning them provides you with fruit in the winter, when they are much more expensive in the markets.

I know that people are busy, but if you take one day every once in a while and bake and cook, you can save tons of money in the long run. There were times this summer that I certainly did not want to be stuck inside processing tomatoes, corn and fruit, but come January, I'll be enjoying them immensely.

Hmmm. I kind of feel like the ant in the Grasshopper and the Ant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont