U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 12:00 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,415,524 times

Advertisements

When I arrived here in 2005 I was also pleased to find my auto insurance premiums drop. However, I found out fast that my insurance windfall was rapidly eliminated by other higher costs thereby negating my savings. Regarding the cost of fuel, several locations today in Brattleboro are showing 1.99 gas. Here in Chittenden County we are still .20 to .30 above that, but you can go in any direction and find cheaper fuel. Right now more effort and research is being expended on how to quietly increase taxes, fees, etc versus on making actual cuts. An article today in the Rutland Herald also commented on Mr Spaulding's "motor fuels distribution infrastructure assessment", i.e. tax, by referring to it as "semantic maneuvering."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 03:01 PM

6,764 posts, read 19,720,756 times
I've kicked around the idea of making my own bread because I am a pretty good baker and it's healthier. I already make pizza weekly instead of buying it. I can make a pizza for probably $5.00 or less and it feeds the 3 of us. I tried making bread a few times--

Job hunting in VT/NH has been hard for me.

The one thing I find rough about here is there are either very skilled jobs (doctors/dentists/whatever someone does at a hospital) or there are low paying jobs in stores and daycares. There is not a lot for the person who has some skills or wants to change careers/do something different.

The amount of people with degrees & a lot of experience working for poverty wages is horrific. (not just in VT but all over).

I'd be happy now with a part time office job just to bring in some much needed income. The only office jobs I see now seem to be expecting bizarre hours.

I'm seriously rethinking whether I am staying here long term. My husband says he doesn't want to move again and I don't want to take my son out of school here but I simply cannot spend the rest of my life 'chasing work.' (I fear for my sanity.)

Old 11-21-2008, 05:28 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,415,524 times
Moving right now, especially with a familiy, can be a very risky proposition unless of course you have a definate job lined up. My younger son who will be graduating college next May will be using his Christmas break to go visit friends who have relocated to Austin, Tx and apparently have had luck in getting established there with work and affordable living arrangements. Right now for a great many the pudent option is to just hunker down and wait out the storm while cutting costs as much as possible. Speaking of state revenue shortfalls one upcoming factor has yet to make the news. In the fairly near future almost 2,000 folks will deploy from here and while gone their income will not be taxed, they won't be here buying gas, shopping, etc. This will most certainly further drag down revenues in a small state such as ours. Now that a gas tax is being floated for the purpose of feeding the transportation fund, it is important to note that the transportation funds has been for years raided in the millions by shifting funds to the general fund and education fund. Funny on on how now the concern over bridge decay needs immediate action. These bridges, a substantial amount 60 or more years old, did not just begin decaying over the past years. We were too busy playing with funds and deferred maintenance. We are aghast with the mismanagement and creative accounting practices of the likes of AIG, Bear Stearns, the Big Three auto giants, but we don't have to stray outside of own borders to find problems which will impact us all.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:15 PM

894 posts, read 1,283,897 times
GypsySoul22 there is a super walmart in Woodsville, NH. up 91 the exit past Bradford. Might be worth the drive, I believe we are further North of you and it is about the same to Woodsville as West Leb. for us. In other news 1.99 gas is available off the Ascutney exit at the Irving station and down 131 at the Citgo station.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:42 PM

166 posts, read 385,757 times
Rutland county is really taking a hit with job losses. Not even including the latest layoffs it has the second highest unemployment rate in the state.

Rutland Job Losses

Rutland County is bleeding jobs.

Area manufacturers have laid off more than 300 workers over the past 6 months.

Rutland Plywood let go of 76 workers last week, nearly cutting its staff in half. Vermont Store Fixture Corporation in Danby laid off 57 employees. Omya cut 50 workers. And last summer Brandon based Vermont TUBBS and NEO EMS let go of more than 100 employees combined.

WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-Rutland Job Losses

Old 11-25-2008, 05:58 PM

12,975 posts, read 2,879,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
Oh yeah, my son called today from Amherst, Ma to inquire if he should gas up before coming home for Thanksgiving. He wanted to know if we were cheaper than $1.90 per gallon yet. We had a good laugh.
Perhaps he should fill up some of those plastic gas containers and bring them along with him to refuel before he heads back to MA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont