Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2007, 07:34 PM

19 posts, read 67,535 times

Advertisements

I am a Vermonter who moved out here to Avon NY to live on my wife's large family farm and raise two beautiful children. Now they are going off to college. Vermont feels like home to me and I would like to move back!
Why? Yes I might have to take a cut in wages compared to this area, but I love the countryside and the people who have lived there most of their lives.
I make maple syrup and its one of the best places to do that. I would return to a small food production farm to help local communities. Blueberries, organic veggies, horse-drawn hayrides... Peter
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
OK this is for People to tell why they think VT is the place to live. For we all Know how liberal it is. But what makes it so wonderful. Those of us that have lived there , know it has it's good things as well as bad. But let's look at the good. Let's show people why People choose to live here and raise a family here. We all know the vast majority of the people here are Great. but tell us how great it is to live here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 08:28 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,785,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrebq View Post
Another great thing about living in Vermont is the way that the seasons play a huge role in everything ... from the festivals and how we celebrate, to our recreation, to how we slow down (way down) during the winter... our kids know when food is planted, how it grows, and when it should be harvested. Another special thing about vermont is how we celebrate local everything...artists, musicians, authors, etc... even the elementary schools focus on local talent when possible... it's not uncommon for the authors they study to pop into the school for a visit.
Great point!

My best friend's a children's librarian, and I have kids in school. There are a lot of creative people in VT and it seems they all get dialed into the schools and libraries and so on.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:19 PM

I thought I'd move this thread up, for the8thstar and others who are new here at the board...

David Beckett

Old 09-16-2007, 06:49 AM

26 posts, read 81,990 times
Thanks for the bump. I'm new on the board and look forward to reading through this thread.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:09 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
Well, this past weekend was a beautiful one as far as weather was concerned. Finally I got to get to outside chores around the house worked on in preparation for the onset of fall. For the first time in a long time I never even left to even run an errand, just cut wood, mowed, brushed, and then at dusk sat back to enjoy a campfire with a few cold ones.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:14 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,497,821 times
Sounds like you had a great, productive and satisfying weekend.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:01 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,930,887 times
On Tuesday my wife and I found a real VT treasure. We drove south on Rte. 5-A past Lake Willoughby, which in its own right is something special. We stopped at both the north and south beaches, taking time to enjoy a late summer deserted morning. It was beautiful weather and the lake was nearly calm. As we motored south toward West Burke we saw a small table in front of an older home with some tomatoes and potatoes for sale. We stopped and picked out some good ones and as we were putting our money in the jar for payment an older man came outside to greet us. He was a bit hard of hearing, but in otherwise apparent good health. They were his vegetables.

We talked for 10 or 15 minutes and learned that he was 93 years old. These had been his wife's favorite varieties and he was apologetic for not having more of them out. He spoke of his wife in the past tense. He told us he had worked much of his life at the tap and die plant in Lyndonville. He told us that he used to teach school in Plainfield. I told him that the building was still there, but now converted to apartments and really looked good. He smiled.

In short, we talked about many things before my wife and I went on our way. Didn't get his name, but I don't think that really mattered. I have found over the years that having conversations like this one are not all that rare. It's as easy as saying hello. At least that's been my experience.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:07 PM

155 posts, read 613,786 times
I have to say I found that to be very true. Even in the area that we visited in June and plan to move to around Burlington. Everyone we talked to was great and would actually talk, and gave us great tips on what to see and do, how the schools are, anything we asked about we got a lot more then a one or two word reply. It was wonderful.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:46 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,288,334 times
careful! don't let the cat out of the bag...part of what makes VT great is that most people don't think of it that way, so it's not overrun.

but the weather. just AWEful. who would want to live in THAT? (sshhhh)

Old 09-25-2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello-world View Post
careful! don't let the cat out of the bag...part of what makes VT great is that most people don't think of it that way, so it's not overrun.

but the weather. just AWEful. who would want to live in THAT? (sshhhh)
Today I agree with you about the weather - the rest of the time, not so much. That's because it's going to be 85f or so...on September 25th.

I like variety.
I like seasons.

David
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont