U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 07:27 AM

46 posts, read 110,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
There's a winter storm watch for Thursday thorugh Friday morning. Several forecasts predict a major storm with snow, ice and sleet. Only the CNN.com forecast predicts only cloudiness for Friday, and maybe it just hasn't been updated. The track is not certain, though, so maybe it won't snow. We dodged the bullet last weekend, although there was a flurry Sunday night.

Bummer. Normally, I like snow, but I'm planning to drive down to Stamford on Friday for a conference. Even with my new, studded snow tires, and my new identity as a Vermonter, I'm anxious about driving on I-91 in such conditions. Not to mention the Cross and the Merritt in Connecticut.

How long does it take to clear up the Interstate in Vermont, Massachusetts and Connecticut? I have read reports that roads up here in Vermont have been more slippery than usual this year. There have been lots of weather-related accidents.

Any suggestions? Should I take the train on Friday? Should I plan on an 8 hour drive at 20 mph? Should I wimp out and stay home? I don't want to do that. I am attending an important conference that I really don't want to miss. Maybe I should hitch a ride with my friend, who is 75 and fearless. She has lived in Brattleboro for 20 years and is used to the winter driving conditions up here. But, if I travel as a passenger, I have NO control over the car, which is anxiety-producing in itself.

In New York, I could usually take the subway if I didn't want to drive. But that's not an option now. My inner New Yorker is not pleased.
Stop being a wimp. Throw an emergency kit in the car and leave a bit early as I'm sure that short of 2 feet of snow your new tires will get you there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 07:38 AM

3,328 posts, read 8,765,535 times
I wouldnt consider what is coming a major storm. This is going to be nothing. Valentine's Blizzard a couple years ago? That was a major storm.
As others have said, try and go early or wait it out if you are uncomfortable driving in winter conditions. Unfortunatly, you're really going to have to get used to it or you won't go anywhere during the winter!

Old 12-10-2008, 08:52 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,415,311 times
Whatever you do do not base your weather information from reporting by CNN or other MSM. They embellish and sensationalize the weather like they do all of their other stories. The internet has many fine interactive weather sites from which you get much better information for planning purposes without all the BS commentary, meaningless analysis, and hype in general. Best of all you don't have to be a meteorologist to understand the data and information. For a southbound trip from B'boro to Ct I don't see any major issues from Friday afternoon into the weekend. Just give yourself time and don't fret about it. You'll know when a "major" weather event is coming and this is not it.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:15 AM

1,475 posts, read 3,663,962 times
Of course there's going to be a major storm this weekend, because I've already spent $200 on Neil Young tickets in Worcester on Saturday night.

That said, I just went all out and ponied up,this morning, for Bridgestone Blizzak WS 60's. That's $150 more than I probably needed to spend. We'll see if they were worth it.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:41 AM

1,442 posts, read 5,897,840 times
Thanks for all the replies.

I, too, love the snow, but not if I have to drive in it in uncertain conditions.

I know this will probably not be a major blizzazrd, but it is enough for me right now, since I have to drive down to Stamford and back this weekend.

I also have to drive to southern Rhode Island and back in 2 weeks.

I know I have to get used to winter driving here, or I will not go anywhere in the winter. I've been expanding my comfort zone as circumstances demanded.

I have always been able to drive in the snow in NYC, when I had to. During one winter, perhaps in 1994, NYC had 16 storms. I was working on Staten Island at the time and had to commute from Brooklyn. That meant I had to drive on streets in both Staten Island and Brooklyn, and also on the Belt Parkway. I also think I had to rent a car at some point, becuase my own car was in the repair shop.

But winter driving up here was one of the things that I found daunting as I began to research moving up here. Eventually, though, I will get used to it, and my confidence will grow as my experience increases.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:49 PM

130 posts, read 240,377 times
Quote:
Eventually, though, I will get used to it, and my confidence will grow as my experience increases.
And therein lies a problem today.

I'm 51 and have NEVER gone off the road because of snow/ice [or any reason]. That dates me back to bias belted tires and some pretty bald ones at that.

Beside common sense, one of the main reason I never have is because of "experience". I/we/many of us got great winter driving experience when he headed to ski area/shopping centers/school parking lots or back roads and did power slides or spun out for fun after the first snow.

Those winter power slides teach you how to REACT [not time to think] and what to do/how to handle when you drive in poor conditions.

Problem is today someone will grab their cell phone and call 911 if you try to do that. Listen to the Weather [freak you out] Channel, stay home after stocking up on canned goods and watch their channel for storm news....DON'T travel....it's waaaay to dangerous.

From the looks of drivers in VT these days, someone could make a killing with a winter driving school in VT.

Merry Christmas everyone [even if you don't celebrate it].

Back to my hole.......

Old 12-10-2008, 07:28 PM

12,975 posts, read 2,879,675 times
Not thrilled about this...I was sort of hoping it wouldn't snow for like.....a few years...until I figure out how I can move myself out of this predicament and plant myself in the south somewhere "just kidding"

Old 12-10-2008, 08:13 PM

20,786 posts, read 35,828,356 times
I have seen about five different forecasts for Merrimack County, NH for this same storm and they are all different.... I am hoping for some snow and not freezing rain!

Old 12-10-2008, 08:42 PM

2,143 posts, read 7,184,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I have seen about five different forecasts for Merrimack County, NH for this same storm and they are all different.... I am hoping for some snow and not freezing rain!
Freezing rain is the worst.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:18 AM

1,442 posts, read 5,897,840 times
I wonder if it will be safe to drive by Saturday morning. I hope I don't have to miss the conference.

The weather channel's website also predicts possible power outages. For many homes, including mine, no power means no heat. Fortunately, I have a warm sleeping bag and a friend down the block with a fireplace. If necessary, I can stay with her. But I am extremely concerned about my 3 cats.

Last time I had a heating problem, I was able to use a space heater until the furnace was fixed. But if there is no power, then no electric heating devices are possible. I have no generator, no pellet or wood stove, and no fireplace.

When I buy a place, I will have alternative heat sources and maybe an electric generator. But right now I have nothing that does not depend on electricity.

I'm sure there are lots of people in my position. What do such people do in a winter power outage?

And if there is ice, how long will it tke for I-91 to be safely usable? If the predictions are correct, I only need to get to southern Massachusetts, after which the roads should be clear. In Connecticut only rain is predicted, and by Friday the roads should be back to normal.

Last edited by arel; 12-11-2008 at 05:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or