Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 01:43 PM

166 posts, read 441,320 times

Advertisements

I'm from CT and routinely drive from Burlington to the New Haven area. You should be fine heading south down 91 from Brattleboro through Mass. The forecast is for all rain from Springfield south through tommorow so you should be fine once you make it there. CT and MA takes care of the roads very well in the winter. Be grateful you dont have to drive over 89 from Burlington through the Greens to white river junction. That can be quite a ride when weather is bad.

I have taken the Vermonter from Burlington and yes it is very long. I would just bring my laptop and some books. From what I remember the Vermonter is very slow from Brattleboro north to Burlington because the tracks are in bad shape. From Brattleboro south the train is much faster. Once you get to Springfield the train flies through CT into New Haven as the tracks are straight and in good shape. I want to say the ride is maybe 3-3 1/2 hours from Brattleboro to New Haven. Not sure if the Vermonter goes direct to Stamford but you can take a metro north train quickly from New Haven to Stamford.

For accurate weather forecasts dont use weather.com or cnn. Use the National Weather Service website at www.weather.gov. Most news outlets get their data from them anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 02:01 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,129,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK1 View Post
I have taken the Vermonter from Burlington and yes it is very long. I would just bring my laptop and some books.
I love the train and totally agree about bringing a laptop and books. I would add to that headphones (to listen/watch stuff on your laptop, plus water and snacks because of the icky non-food items for sale in the dining car.

Why I love trains and avoid planes: On the train, I can plug my laptop into an outlet. I can get up and walk around, and even get off the train or leave it entirely on a mid-trip stop. I can pay cash for a ticket and don't have to do anything "official" about photo IDs, seat assignments, etc. Ahhhhh. :-)

Old 12-11-2008, 02:23 PM

Default Ice, ice, ice

I've been on the phone with Bennington folks all day and they say the roads are icy. They're all staying home.

Rutland has less than an inch of snow and it's no biggie here. Yet. I hear we may get an inch of ice overnight and that's no fun at all.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:46 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,496,503 times
On the basis of the forecasts for the I-91 corridor, at least until Connecticut, it might be wisest to just take the train. The predictions are for ice storms. I don't think I am willing to drive in that.

Yes, the train ride is long, about 5 hours. Under normal conditions, the drive to Stamford would be about 3-4 hours. But this weekend's conditions are not normal. In this weather, the drive could easily get to 7 or 8 hours.

Thankfully, I can walk to the Amtrak station in Brattleboro. It it's icy, I'll wear my new Yaktrax Pro traction devices on my shoes.

So, even if the driving is impossible, I can still go to Stamford.

Wouldn't you know. It won't be icy in Connecticut. And the temperature will go up to about 50 on Monday.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:09 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,232,129 times
Well right now in south Addison County we are getting a light/wet snow.
We often seem to be in the borderline of temps lol.
Hoping to avoid icing.

weather.com - Map Room - Satellite Map, Weather Map, Doppler Radar - US Doppler Radar

Old 12-11-2008, 07:45 PM

12,973 posts, read 3,223,002 times
Here it is pushing the ten o'clock hour...snow is coming down...not a major accumulation here in Castleton..but at least a couple of inches. However, keep in mind the roads are generally the most slippery the earliest part of the storm. I slid through the intersection near the Correctional Center in Rutland this early afternoon. However, after my meeting the roads were okay again. I guess the best bet is to wait out the night and see what Mother Nature blesses us with. The kids are hoping it comes in the form of a "snow day" however I doubt this is likely.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:56 AM

18,351 posts, read 26,473,745 times
Well, quite a nice storm. Ice all over, still snowing out too...

Old 12-12-2008, 09:08 AM

Our plow guy just did the driveway. Our friend&neighbor across the street, who usually snowblows/shovels his own, came out to get our guy to do his driveway, too. This crusty, icy snow is way too heavy for shoveling if there's another option.

The streets have been plowed and seem fine, at least in Rutland. Last night while it was still coming down, we were driving our Civic around town without any difficulty. But we saw cars without snow tires and pickups with light back ends sliding around!

Old 12-12-2008, 09:11 AM

18,351 posts, read 26,473,745 times
Some roads I was on this morning going out to check my trapline weren't plowed (out in the country though). Then walking around the woods. Made for an exciting morning.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:35 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,140,359 times
I hear 25,000 of us are without electricity

PS. Snowplow guy just left. There goes 35 bucks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont