U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 06:13 PM

4 posts, read 10,079 times

Advertisements

I'd like to retire to Vermont from New Jersey at least part of the year. I know it isn't exactly like "Newhart" (i.e., Larry Darryl and Darryl) or is it?

Any recommendations for a single gal looking to open up a seasonal drive-thru coffee and donut place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 06:36 PM

6,764 posts, read 19,715,578 times
The people I have met are not hicks or stupid like Larry, Daryl and Daryl. For a rural place, most Vermonters I have encountered (this also goes for NH as I live near the border) are intelligent people. I am sure there are 'hicks' here--heck, in NY there were plenty of them, I just have not met them.

The main doughnut place is Dunkin Donuts, though also get some at Pricechopper, and they are very good.

As you know, Vermont is quite rural and not very business friendly. I don't know how well a seasonal donut place would do here. You might get a lot of tourists in season.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:38 PM

16,792 posts, read 28,995,932 times
If you ended up in the right ski town, you might have something. Yuppies in their SUVs with Thule racks laden with skis might be enticed by the idea of not having to trot their flatlander tushies out of the warm car, penguin walk across an icy parking lot to get a cup of java and a pastry on their way to or from the slopes that day. Biff and Muffy can get their cawfee while Junior and Sissy slurp hot cocoas and nibble at cruellers.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:25 AM

19 posts, read 48,341 times
My advice would be to look carefully at the viability of a small business in VT, because it is not business friendly. If you are to open it, look for a place that does not have a Dunkin Donuts because they are opening like the plague around here. I'm not sure Stowe has one (I don't go the mountain road area at all so it might be there), but there is one on the outskirts of Waterbury on the way there. If Stowe itself doesn't have one then it may be viable there.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:59 AM

1,941 posts, read 3,227,139 times
There is no Dunkin Donuts in Stowe, and there most likely will never be one. Just last month it was made known in the paper that there was a proposal to open one on Mountain Road and the uproar that came about was deafening...within days the proposal was revoked and that was the end of it. Even if it would promote healthy competition, the vocal majority is so against any kind of chain/box store in Stowe that it would most likely never happen.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:10 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,715,578 times
It would be nice (not healthy though!) to see an alternative to DD. Their service is slow (I was in 2 different DD in the last month or 2 and it was the same thing. The last time it took my husband over 20 minutes just to get 2 small coffees.

(Hire some more employees...).

Old 01-06-2009, 07:35 AM

2,143 posts, read 7,183,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
If you ended up in the right ski town, you might have something. Yuppies in their SUVs with Thule racks laden with skis might be enticed by the idea of not having to trot their flatlander tushies out of the warm car, penguin walk across an icy parking lot to get a cup of java and a pastry on their way to or from the slopes that day. Biff and Muffy can get their cawfee while Junior and Sissy slurp hot cocoas and nibble at cruellers.
Bitter?

Old 01-06-2009, 12:04 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,414,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
There is no Dunkin Donuts in Stowe, and there most likely will never be one. Just last month it was made known in the paper that there was a proposal to open one on Mountain Road and the uproar that came about was deafening...within days the proposal was revoked and that was the end of it. Even if it would promote healthy competition, the vocal majority is so against any kind of chain/box store in Stowe that it would most likely never happen.
I remember before I actually moved here and was visiting on occasion there actually was a McDonalds in Stowe on 108 west of 100. If this is the whatt they want, meaning restricting who can do business, then I guess it's the towns business. I have a member of my guard unit who works in Stowe and for the regular working stiffs he and coworkers lament that there are very few affordable options for eats and other things there. But, that's what you get in resort and postcard towns across the country.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:09 PM

1,475 posts, read 3,663,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
It would be nice (not healthy though!) to see an alternative to DD. Their service is slow (I was in 2 different DD in the last month or 2 and it was the same thing. The last time it took my husband over 20 minutes just to get 2 small coffees.

(Hire some more employees...).
They need two cashiers-one to sell sandwiches and one to sell donuts and coffee.

If someone orders sandwiches or bagels with cream cheese the cashier spends time preparing that order while everyone else waits on line. It's maddening.

Their donuts are expensive and lousy and their coffee isn't as good as Green Mountain sold in gas stations.

I just don't get dunkin donuts.

Our local Simons gas station just closed down the dunkin donuts section-fine with me.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:10 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,414,706 times
More and more DD's are opening inside of gas/convenience marts up here. It's important to remember that right now quite a bit of discretionary spending is dropping and stopping at a DD's is exactly that. While it is true that in the more resort type areas there may be a market you have to see what is already there on the ground. There are only so many customers to fill the coffers. This past year new business start ups were at their lowest level since Vt began tracking that data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or