U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Considering moving to Vermont, pros and cons of living in Vermont, overcoming cold feet when moving, seeking advice about moving out of state

Old 04-23-2012, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 15,372 times

Advertisements

You are SO not alone! I live in Florida and I dream of the day when we can pack up and leave to Vermont. I have visited three times and every time I leave I get so sad like I am leaving a family member behind! I am waiting for my youngest to complete high school, two years, and I hope to be on my way. Like you, I will be leaving family behind. I wonder at times if I will also get cold feet and stay an extra year or two. I subscribe to Vermont Life and came across an add in the Spring issue that said that "Vermont is a state of mind". I try to make it my state of mind every day and will until I live it. Perhaps you and your family were like me when you first visited Vermont. There was just something about it that felt like it's just where you belong. I wish you the very best in your adventure. Don't hesitate to make all your dreams come true. Ive heard it said the things we regret most in life are not the things we did do, but rather the things we didn't.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 12:09 AM

17 posts, read 39,909 times
Interesting conversations here. We are retirement age and my life dream was to live in northern new England. Husband is happy anywhere. I got a good dose of mountain fever , after seeing the movie , The Sound of Music, at age 12 . Besides that and camping vacations everywhere in new England and new Brunswick, well , I was hooked on the hills. Laughed when a poster mentioned" hints all around " , like the Vermont ham sold in his/her Pa.town, Etc. ......well, here in southern new england, in a doctors office last month , a few people started talking. One man was from Burlington, Vermont. I thought it was a sign from above! Hoping the doctor was running late for a change, I tried to get as much info from the other patient as I could ! Lol. Weather, quality of healthcare, cost of living, weather again, etc. ......He said that when you are there, the atmosphere is intoxicating ( ? altitude ? ) and a person feels happy, generally great ...it's so beautiful ! Then his voice and expression changed. He was very serious and adamant about the very long, cold Winters. He said if you like outdoor Winter sports and snow, then you will be ok. If you don't, you will hate it. He also stressed that you have to be independent and resourceful. It's a tough life , especially outside the big city. Apparently , he is now happily living in southern new England, where , if you blink, you might miss some Winters. at any rate, it was a fortuitous meeting, and I'm still wondering if it was a sign from above , telling me to stay put ?

Last edited by blueskies in New England; 05-09-2012 at 12:15 AM.. Reason: M

Old 05-09-2012, 09:54 AM

19,707 posts, read 59,615,576 times
With a 'nym like blueskies, it might be important to you to have those. I remember one winter in Burlington where there was not a patch of blue to be seen in over three months. Just dark and gray, dark and gray. Yesterday and the day before they had some clear weather. Now it is back to gray skies.

That lack of sun was one of the many things that drove me south. Burlington can be like Seattle.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:16 AM

48 posts, read 95,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
With a 'nym like blueskies, it might be important to you to have those. I remember one winter in Burlington where there was not a patch of blue to be seen in over three months. Just dark and gray, dark and gray. Yesterday and the day before they had some clear weather. Now it is back to gray skies.

That lack of sun was one of the many things that drove me south. Burlington can be like Seattle.
There's actually evidence to support that. I was very surprised to see how little sun Burlington gets when someone posted this link:

World Facts and Figures - Weather Facts and Statistics

BURLINGTON,VT 58 (days of sunshine per year)

Old 05-09-2012, 12:44 PM

530 posts, read 1,241,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

Is Burlington really much different than southern Vemont? I'm curious. I live in Windsor, in the Upper Valley and wonder how much different Burlington would be in terms of sunshine and temps. When my son went to school in Burlington, he said it snowed "every day"...an exaggeration, I'm sure.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:47 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,265,902 times
Winter is very different in the Burlington area than the rest of Vermont. The lake keeps the temps much more mild here. I used to live in Brookfield (Central Vermont) and it was always (including summer) close to 10 degrees cooler. We also only have a fraction of the snowfall most other areas see. In Central Vermont we could have over 2 feet of snow on the ground and in Burlington there could only be about six inches. This year was really different. I never even started my snow-blower once. I think I took the shovel out once for the sidewalk.
The only thing that is the same is the grey sky.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:43 PM

530 posts, read 1,241,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
Winter is very different in the Burlington area than the rest of Vermont. The lake keeps the temps much more mild here. I used to live in Brookfield (Central Vermont) and it was always (including summer) close to 10 degrees cooler. We also only have a fraction of the snowfall most other areas see. In Central Vermont we could have over 2 feet of snow on the ground and in Burlington there could only be about six inches. This year was really different. I never even started my snow-blower once. I think I took the shovel out once for the sidewalk.
The only thing that is the same is the grey sky.
That's interesting. I never really felt that this area had more grey skies in winter than Long Island, but that winter seems to start earlier and last much longer. The weather gives another edge to Burlington then!

Old 05-09-2012, 11:31 PM

19,707 posts, read 59,615,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny1951 View Post
Is Burlington really much different than southern Vemont? I'm curious. I live in Windsor, in the Upper Valley and wonder how much different Burlington would be in terms of sunshine and temps. When my son went to school in Burlington, he said it snowed "every day"...an exaggeration, I'm sure.
There is a combination of factors at work. My brother is the one who really studied it, but the combination of the Adirondacks and the lake create a different microclimate. The cold air rolls down the mountains, hits the moist air over the lake, or something along those lines. It can actually be worse up around Waterbury though. I remember many days when I could see a tiny speck of blue over Charlotte or some place near the lake when everywhere else was socked in.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:52 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,265,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny1951 View Post
That's interesting. I never really felt that this area had more grey skies in winter than Long Island, but that winter seems to start earlier and last much longer. The weather gives another edge to Burlington then!
The average number of sunny days in Vermont comes out to 157 days per year. The data I found for western Long Island is 213 days per year. Obviously that would mean the remainder would be cloudy days.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:57 AM

5,441 posts, read 15,503,610 times
i was looking at these sunny and rainy day stats a while back and reasoned that snow days are usually cheerful, so even if NJ or NY have more sunny days, it more than evens out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont