Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 11:20 PM

11 posts, read 58,183 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about relocating to Rutland and i am interested in any information about the area, both positive and negative. Such as cost of living, recreation, shopping, the people, rent and housing prices, crime, weather and anything else. I live in upstate ny and have been to rutland once and it seemed very nice.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:37 PM

5 posts, read 21,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeny111 View Post
I am thinking about relocating to Rutland and i am interested in any information about the area, both positive and negative. Such as cost of living, recreation, shopping, the people, rent and housing prices, crime, weather and anything else. I live in upstate ny and have been to rutland once and it seemed very nice.
There is nothing positive that can be said about Rutland !!!!!
There is a reason its first sylable is "Rut" !!
Unless your idea of culture is hanging out with freaks at the WAL*MART
there is nothing here. Really. I moved here from PA about 18 months ago
and am on meds it is so depressing here. Small minded, xenophobic, angry people, no real jobs, outragious taxes, phenomenally expensive cost of living, NOTHING ELSE!!! We are moving back down south in the summer and I am counting the minutes. If you feel you need to come to the cultureless, forsaken hell known as Vermont do yourself a favor and locate in Burlington or Brattleboro. BEWARE- The perception of Vermont is soooooooooooo far from the reality you will be shocked. A person who has lived in civilization could never, ever live here permentantly, thats why people build vacation houses or have lived here all thier lives and dont know any better.

the. worst. ever.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:25 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
Yet someone else who had a romantized vision of living Vermont who didnt do their research before moving here. I was born and raised here, and have lived in North Caroline (Raleigh) and the Boston area before I came back to stay. I wouldnt live anywhere else but here (except maybe a month or 2 in FL during the winter LOL). Good luck w/your move. I hope it works out for you.
Regarding Rutland, yeah...it's just at typical small sized city. Not much going on. You've got the Green Mountains on your doorstep though, so if you're into outdoor activities then it is a great place.
If you're looking for a place with a lively atmosphere with shops, restaurants, dining, etc., then Burlington is what you want.
Vermont is a very sleepy place.

Old 03-16-2007, 02:36 PM

10 posts, read 42,333 times
lived there for a while, pretty place but lots of drug problems and crime is growing. Schools aren't great, drugs again.
If you move there look for a place in castleton or bomoseen by the lake, that is the nicest areas that are the most reasonable. Manchester is too much money.
Just don't live in the downtown area known as "the gut".
Goodluck

Old 03-16-2007, 03:01 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,785,903 times
While I share very little of PKM's opinions about Vermont in general, I wouldn't recommend Rutland. But that's merely my impression from hearing a lot of people express opinions over the years.

If you want a quaint small city - there are many in VT I'd put ahead or Rutland. If you want things to do - just check out Burlington asap. If you want rural - well, we got rural here. We've got that down pat.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:57 PM

124 posts, read 641,489 times
PKM,

Your opinion of Rutland--and, by extension, much of Vermont-- that you posted would garner more respect and hence legitimacy if:

Your chosen screen name wasn't "Please kill me."

If your tone in the post weren't so flaming and teenage-like, your cynicism could be considered valid, if debatable.

Your post wouldn't lump all Rutlanders as xenophobic, angry, small-minded, etc., offering "nothing else."

What I'm trying to say is your chosen written approach does nothing to engage others in useful discourse; to agree to disagree is very difficult based on your demeanor. Therefore, IMO, one should ignore your post as useless unless you clarify your intent and drop the flamelike quality it possesses.

Old 03-17-2007, 03:37 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,981,104 times
As you can see, I have changed my screen name so to contribute to other forums. The Please Kill Me was a spur of the moment, knee Jerk choice that although a bad one in retrospect, does accurately reflect upon my stay in the Rutland area. Im am sorry you and others disagree with my opinion of Rutland. But respectfully I ask does that make my opinion any less valid because you, Pidgett, dont agree with it ?? I stand by what I said and the "For Sale" sign on the front of my house after only 18 months proves it. Do you think a person looks forward to the prospect of moving when they have just gone through all the insanity of it only a year before ?? We would have been out sooner but my Wife had a contract to fullfill. Yes, to us, it is that bad. Again, sorry if you disagree but the stuff I mentioned is/was very real to me. There were a few places in Vermont we stayed, researched and were aware of before moving here. Rutland was not one of them. When my Wife was hired she was given a better contract than what was standard for the other places like Montpelier, etc, so we took a chance thinking we would not have too many problems settling in the Rutland area. It has turned into an absolute nightmare and the damage is done. When I see the "Welcome to New York" sign on Rt.4 I wont be looking back. Its obvious I dont have a Vermont personality after all of this. But, being a liberal - artist- nature lover you might think I would. Others like that coming here thinking the Rutland area might have something to offer them might appreciate this opinion even if you dont. I suppose it is all what you are used to in other living situations. I am used to certain amenitites / attitudes that just cant be had here and they have nothing to do with shopping malls or anything like that. You have to work to make your home a home but trying to do that here has turned out to be an excersize in futility. Again, sorry you are offended by this but try to look at it on the good side.....One more 'flatlander' gone very shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgett View Post
PKM,

Your opinion of Rutland--and, by extension, much of Vermont-- that you posted would garner more respect and hence legitimacy if:

Your chosen screen name wasn't "Please kill me."

If your tone in the post weren't so flaming and teenage-like, your cynicism could be considered valid, if debatable.

Your post wouldn't lump all Rutlanders as xenophobic, angry, small-minded, etc., offering "nothing else."

What I'm trying to say is your chosen written approach does nothing to engage others in useful discourse; to agree to disagree is very difficult based on your demeanor. Therefore, IMO, one should ignore your post as useless unless you clarify your intent and drop the flamelike quality it possesses.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:44 PM

11 posts, read 32,030 times
Ninja, Please Kill Me or whoever:

Sorry you had such a bad time of it here in Rutland. But I think your experience was an exception, rather than the rule.

I've lived in Rutland County for the last 15 years. While it's true that there isn't much culture in Rutland, outside contra dancing and the occasional event at the Paramount Theatre, if you're willing to drive for an hour or so, there are plenty of places that can provide the "amenities and attitudes" you found lacking in Rutland. Perhaps you were either unaware of this, or you were not willing to make the effort to seek these opportunities out. Sure there are high taxes in the state and a drug problem in some cities, but compared to most of the US, Rutland, and Vermont State, rank as one of the safest places to live. Compare the murder per capita rate in Vermont to any other state. It's always one of the lowest.

You say that you're a "liberal-artist-nature lover." I would add the adjective "frustrated" to the beginning of that description. Did you spend any appreciable time hiking the Long Trail or cross-country skiing up at Chittenden Res? Or was most of you time spent in the Wal Mart parking lot, looking for amenities, and watching and complaining about the "small-minded, angry, xenophobic freaks?" I expect the latter. BTW, one of the problems here in Vermont is arrogant liberals such as yourself.

Vermont isn't for everyone, and towns like Rutland even more so. From your two postings it's apparent you weren't able to fit it in, and your rants make it clear that you think it's because of the people and experiences you encountered. But social encounters are a two-way street. So perhaps what you found was a perception of your own thinking. Don't let the "Welcome to New York" sign hit you on the ass on the way out of Vermont.

Last edited by tree climber; 03-17-2007 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: spelling mistake

Old 03-17-2007, 07:56 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,981,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tree climber View Post
I've lived in Rutland County for the last 15 years. While it's true that there isn't much culture in Rutland, blah blah blah blah ZzzzzZZzzzzzZz........
I appreciate you taking so much time to prove my point
concisely.

Last edited by KoZmiC NinJa; 03-17-2007 at 08:07 PM..

Old 03-17-2007, 10:08 PM

11 posts, read 32,030 times
ninja boy:

Apparently you read my whole post if you believe it "concisely proved your point." So I guess the ZZZZZZZZZZZ was the best you could come up with after reading it. Shows your lack of imagination, which just goes to prove why you couldn't adapt in the green mountains. Start spouting your diatribe about north carolina like you did about vermont, and see what those southern crackers around asheville do. Hope your ninja skills include a vanishing act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont