Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 10:09 PM

7 posts, read 29,400 times

Advertisements

I would love any information anyone is willing to share on Lyndonville. We are a family of 6 with children from high school down to infant. We live in Montana and are trying to pick a place to move. There is a job opening in Lyndonville for my husband. Is there someone who can tell me about schools, people,weather,shopping, homes......thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 08:00 AM

3,457 posts, read 10,220,045 times
Lyndonville is a small town in what is called the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont (NEK). I grew up nearby.
Schools are good. Lyndon's local high school is Lyndon Institute. St. Johnsbury Academy is also and excellent high school if you choose to live in a town nearby that sends their kids there. Don't know much about the elementary/middle schools.
People are generally very nice. It may be hard to make friends at first though, as most Vermonters are reserved at first and then warm up as they get to know you. Also, this being such a small area, many people already have a wide circle of friends and family. Once you make a friend though, you've made one for life.
Weather - winter is dreary. Usually lots of snow, very little sun, and cold. It's not uncommon to go below 0. Summer is great and fall even better!
Shopping? Not much. There is an Agway and a May Variety store. There is a small mall in St. Johnsbury that has a JC Penney and not much else. Littleton, NH is where most people go as there is a Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe's etc. The closest major malls are in Burlington, VT and Concord & Manchester, NH.
The local newspaper is the Caledonian Record. www.caledonianrecord.com There are links to various real estate agencies there.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:26 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,465,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Lyndonville is a small town in what is called the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont (NEK). I grew up nearby.
Schools are good. Lyndon's local high school is Lyndon Institute. St. Johnsbury Academy is also and excellent high school if you choose to live in a town nearby that sends their kids there. Don't know much about the elementary/middle schools.
People are generally very nice. It may be hard to make friends at first though, as most Vermonters are reserved at first and then warm up as they get to know you. Also, this being such a small area, many people already have a wide circle of friends and family. Once you make a friend though, you've made one for life.
Weather - winter is dreary. Usually lots of snow, very little sun, and cold. It's not uncommon to go below 0. Summer is great and fall even better!
Shopping? Not much. There is an Agway and a May Variety store. There is a small mall in St. Johnsbury that has a JC Penney and not much else. Littleton, NH is where most people go as there is a Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe's etc. The closest major malls are in Burlington, VT and Concord & Manchester, NH.
The local newspaper is the Caledonian Record. www.caledonianrecord.com There are links to various real estate agencies there.
Bag Bomb, You forgot Bag Bomb. It is made in Lyndonville you know. LOL

Old 03-17-2007, 04:47 AM

124 posts, read 639,239 times
According to nhyrnut, Lyndonville is the home of Bag Bomb. While that might be true, Lyndonville is better known for being the home of:

Bag Balm.

It is a special, medicinal salve for cow's utters that has large distribution across the country.

As for Bag Bomb, it probably is Vermont's secret weapon against pesky New Hampshirites.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:42 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,465,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgett View Post
Bag Balm.

Ya that LMAO Now I see Green cans tossed across the Connecticut into NH and Exploding. LOL Man that would be messy. But No one would have dry skin.

Last edited by Yac; 03-18-2007 at 07:25 AM..

Old 04-07-2007, 04:07 AM

In my post above, I should've written:

"cows' udders"...........instead of my incorrectly spelled and grammatically incorrect-----"cow's utters!"

How ironic, considering I was poking fun at nhyrnut's misspelling of Bag Balm as Bag Bomb and in so doing I came across as a deaf guy leading the blind!

Pidge

Old 04-07-2007, 06:32 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,477,624 times
Pidgett, how udderly funny. I can see you are taking the bull by the horns and milking this for all it is worth.

Arel from Moo York

Old 04-08-2007, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
Pidgett, how udderly funny. I can see you are taking the bull by the horns and milking this for all it is worth.

Arel from Moo York
Arel:

I usually hate puns, but in this case it IS funny and apropos!

BTW, I have read many of your interesting posts here on the various City-Data.com forums. I was wondering if you are solely interested in moving to Vermont, or have you considered the parts of upstate New York that are similar to Vermont, e.g., the Adirondacks or the Ithaca/Finger Lakes area as possible alternatives. Ithaca, btw, is like Burlington and Brattleboro and is even more "alternative/progressive/green" than they are.

Just curious!

Pidge

Old 04-08-2007, 07:42 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,477,624 times
Thank you for your interest and suggestions.

No, I am not, at this time, considering upstate New York. I love it upstate except where it gets too provincial. My mother grew up in Rockland County and it is very pretty up there, in some places.

But right now, for various reasons, now I am primarily targeting Brattleboro. I can always move later, north or south, if I don't like it there.

I do have concerns, though, which I am trying to research.

My biggest concern is the Vermont economy. People complain it about on this forum, often bitterly. I am in the health care field (clinical social worker) and I can work both at a job and in private practice, so I would imagine I would have better work and income oppportunities in Vermont than if I were in manufacturing or some other depressed industry. For one thing, the Retreat is there.

Another concern is that parts of Brattleboro are pretty run down and ugly. Another is that people there are very different from people in New York. The New England reserve can sometimes be very uncomfortable to deal with. It can sometimes feel like rejection or indifference.

Whatever, I really appreciate all the help I am getting on this forum.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:45 PM

Arel:

Your concerns are certainly not trivial; they are ones that should concern anyone who is contemplating such a move as drastic as going from Brooklyn to Vermont.

I will share my studies and observations about some of the very issues you are concerned about:

As is the case in other rural areas, Vermont's jobs are rather low-paying and are over-represented by the service and tourism sectors. Unlike other rural vacation destinations, however, there are fairly plentiful jobs to be found in these sectors. Also, there is the atypical (for Vermont) economy of the Burlington region. It has the great fortune of having a large IBM facility, IDX, General Dynamics, Univ of VT and other large colleges. All of these provide excellent paying jobs for an area that otherwise would have a largely post-industrial-era service economy. Because of its generally healthy economy, Burlington and the rest of Chittenden and nearby counties have astoundingly low unemployment rates. The effects of the Burlington economy are far-reaching, making even far-flung corners of the state benefit indirectly from its good fortunes.

Having thus described the Vermont economic scene as far as it relates to the Burlington region, it must be said that Brattleboro's economic profile is one that is less developed and is generally of limited geographical impact as far as wages and standards of living for the residents are concerned. The population is also much less for the Bratt area, so it can make do with a smaller economy. As far as parts of Brattleboro being "run-down and ugly"--your words--I would say that this can only apply to individual buildings, houses, places of business, and perhaps a few back streets in the downtown area. There are no run-down neighborhoods in the urban, "Brooklyn" sense. Of course, I assume that you know not to ever use Brooklyn as a point of reference when describing Bratt--or anywhere else for that matter!

You said that the people [in Brattleboro] are very different from New Yorkers. Of course by saying "New Yorkers" you mean people from NYC. This would be an accurate assessment on your part, but of course, only when speaking in broad generalities. New Englanders--and upstate New Yorkers, who are similar--can be reserved and are less prone to outward displays of emotional expression, contrary to the NYC style of gregariousness and vociferousness. As you said, it can be uncomforatble to deal with and leaves one with a vague sense of unacceptance and mistrust. But this is a minor "negative" trait when considering the negative traits of folks from Metro NY such as rudeness, abruptness, loudness, crassness and hyperness, all of which are not generally part of the Vermont character. You must decide to trade off reserve and, in addition, stand-offishness, and an inscrutible provinciality with the know-it-all cockiness of a New Yorker. Alas, no culture is perfect .

(PS--Rockland County is in no way upstate NY. It is very much downstate, and is totally engulfed in the vast corpus of the metro area. You should consider the real upstate, which has most of what Vermont offers.)

Pidge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont