Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,825 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm Robert and I was there for 3 years 1969 to 1972
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbeau01301 View Post
Hi, my Mother & Uncle were both at "Vergennes" as it was referred to in our family, in the early 60's. My Mother was Diane Webster, and my Uncle was Rupert (Punky) Webster, if anyone remembers them, please contact me. I am also interested if anyone remembers Cliff Bigelow.
I knew them.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:08 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babbore View Post
I knew them.
I sent bourbeau01301 a direct message to see if they're still here.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:20 AM

2 posts, read 2,784 times
Default The closure story

My brother Bill was incarcerated at Weeks School up to its end in 1979. He corroborates much of the abuse stories above and has said he was one of the principals involved in its exposure and closure. I too have searched the Internet for what really happened with no success. Does anyone recall what happened that got it closed or perhaps changed to something else?

Old 10-18-2019, 09:31 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gery brother of Bill View Post
My brother Bill was incarcerated at Weeks School up to its end in 1979. He corroborates much of the abuse stories above and has said he was one of the principals involved in its exposure and closure. I too have searched the Internet for what really happened with no success. Does anyone recall what happened that got it closed or perhaps changed to something else?

Demolished

Vermont Industrial School - Asylum Projects

Old 10-18-2019, 01:47 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
The campus still exists...maybe some buildings have been torn down but the vast majority of it still stands. It is now part of the Job Corp program.
https://northlands.jobcorps.gov/
https://www.google.com/maps/search/n.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old 10-18-2019, 04:41 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
I knew a girl who had been at Weeks School because of a measurably low IQ. She was more capable than she was given credit for, and married the brother of one of my employees. Her wedding reception was the most delightful one I ever attended, very down to earth and fun. She and her husband were poor as church mice, but somehow made a go of it.

FWIW, the original Vermont Reform School was not in Vergennes but in Waterbury near the site of the ball field and swimming pool. Three story structure and there was a farm as well, IIRC. When it burned, the reform school got moved to Vergennes, and the State Hospital started. (I'd have to check the dates for the exact sequence.)

I never knew much about Weeks, other than it was there and I think there were some transfers between Weeks and VSH.
VSH had a locked ward for kids, but it wasn't on the side of the hospital where I worked.

Old 10-20-2019, 01:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,784 times
Thanks for the comments. Looks like no one knows why it was closed. I've read the Feds came up with new programs with the kids moved to other institutions (the official reason) and I heard that its abuse of the "inmates" was the cause coupled with the abusive nature's disclosure (the truth?).

Old 10-21-2019, 12:05 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Both it and VSH had short funding. One of the other issues was that residents/inmates/patients had to be paid at least minimum wage for work after a mid-century court ruling. That meant there was no way for costs to be kept down. In the early days, those people able to function at all were conscripted to farm work, maintenance, food service, laundry without pay, under the heading of "therapy." What the courts recognized (on a national basis) was that otherwise healthy and productive and "cured" people were not being released from institutions, but kept as a type of slave labor. That is a "right" only enjoyed by prisons. (Yes, slavery to the government is very much alive and legal in the penal system.)

The mental health and indigent issues have always been more than the state could handle financially. The institutions were created in part because of the even more wretched conditions at the community supported "poor farms." Towns were starting to go bankrupt trying to improve those.

Old 05-15-2021, 02:15 AM

5 posts, read 10,483 times
Hi Shirley, I was there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont