Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2009, 08:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,937 times

Advertisements

If anyone, anyone at all out there can help me...I want to move to Vermont...I cannot stand to stay in NYC one more day. my email is efbake7@aol.com. I am a trained baker and cake decorator...but I don't need to earn alot, because of my simple lifestyle. Working off the books is the best thing for me. Someone, please respond or email me directly. I'd like to find out the best places to come to..job wise, housing (rent) wise, and so on...I'd like to take a week or two to look around at various places. I am told that Montpellier is one of the best places to live...especially for a semi retired person. Any help is very appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 11:45 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,497,821 times
I recently moved up to Vermont from NYC. Specifically, I moved from Brooklyn to Brattleboro.

I did a lot of reseach on this forum. I asked a lot of questions and got lots of answers. My threads are easy to look up. And others have moved from New York or are thinking of moving.

As to location, I can't really advise you, as I only know Brattleboro, and then my knowledge is limited because I have only been here for a few months.

But good baking is appreciated in Brattleboro. There are a lot of restaurants here, including some devoted to "fine dining". There are several cafes that serve coffee, tea and baked goods to a relatively sophisticated, artsy clientele. Putney, the next town north, is also an artsy town, but much smaller than Brattleboro.

I've read that Montpelier and Burlington, in addition to Brattleboro, are the best places for a New Yorker to move to, at least until they get accliimated to Vermont. Brattleboro, for example, is a rural town, but it is a major town with a lot of urban amenities. And it is located near other cosmopolitan places.

So far, I love it here, and I am glad I made the move. But I live in town and not in the country. I have long fantasized about living on an isolated rural property with a long driveway from a remote rural road. But now, as an adult, I think I prefer the convenience, social contact and security of living in town. I don't want to plow a long driveway after every snowstorm or find a bear in my yard. Later, I may move to a more semi-rural place, but I strongly doubt I'd want to live in the sticks or even in a remote town without the amenities of a place like Brattleboro.

Unfortunately, Vermont is not an inexpensive place to live, and pay tends to be lower than in New York. The cost of living is less than in New York, but not as much less as you would expect.

Good luck in your research. Others have researched a move from NYC to Vermont, and some have actually made the move, so take advantage of our experiences.

Last edited by arel; 03-02-2009 at 11:58 PM..

Old 03-03-2009, 06:41 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
I echo what Arel is saying.

I came from NY in September 07 and I am still looking for full time work. I am not 'unemployable'--I have a lot of various business experience (marketing, customer service, general business) and 2 degrees--one being a Masters.
The last job I had was temp and lasted 5/6 months. I was told several times I would be taken on but this never happened and I got fed up when the person I was replacing came back and I was 'in limbo' making far less than 'a living wage' for this area.

Think about what cleaning ladies get in NYC and half it...

I'm not crying for myself but just demonstrating that it's hard to break in to the job market here. I have met so many UNDEREMPLOYED people who just sort of accepted it 'as the way it has to be' that living here permanently may not happen for us. I really cannot imagine living here in my later years 'scraping by' and tolerating 5 months of crushing winter bills. (but I do love the cold vs. the hot...so..?)

Read the thread about what NYers miss for some other opinions.

It's nice here compared to NY because it's clean and the crime is pretty low and the driving not so insane, though we have our crowded places. The economy is tourist based in a lot of places so if you are good at waiting tables or something of that nature you probably can get a job easily. If you try applying to hotels and B&Bs or whatever, they may need your services.

Vermont is a good place to hang out but sometimes you just long for 'something' or 'some action.' It's hard to get up and 'go' especially when, as I have said, 'no one is rewarding you for your 'get up and go.'

What else do you want to know?

Old 03-03-2009, 07:06 AM

894 posts, read 1,557,467 times
Vermont Tiger: Never forget where you come from

Old 03-03-2009, 10:04 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
Where to move in Vermont for NYC expats is pretty subjective depending on what your interests and expectations are, but above all else what your economic strength is to actually make the move and make it through the first year. Employment is right now a major issue statewide. Your options would perhaps be better in the greater Burlington area simply due to more (but not over) population. Montpelier is a very small town crowded with people who share the desire to get away and live in such an atmosphere. It is also an expensive town. Renting anywhere is a hit or miss option. Vermont has the distinction of having one of the tightest rental markets in the nation and depending on your budget you may have to live in conditions at least initially that may not be so appealing. I have been all across the state and have found the majority of towns to be nice and liveable with the exception of being able to secure work to be able to actually make it work. Beware also of getting into the scenario of the extended commute as it will take it's toll both financially and mentally after a while. Research the Vermont threads/posts and try above all else to take a few trips up and check out the areas in person. Also give costs a good looking over. I can't tell you how many people I have met who have embarked on such an endeavor under the guise that I can live the simple life to contain costs and have found that even that may not cut it.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:26 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Default You would probably enjoy VT.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneferrari View Post
If anyone, anyone at all out there can help me...I want to move to Vermont...I cannot stand to stay in NYC one more day. my email is efbake7@aol.com. I am a trained baker and cake decorator...but I don't need to earn alot, because of my simple lifestyle. Working off the books is the best thing for me. Someone, please respond or email me directly. I'd like to find out the best places to come to..job wise, housing (rent) wise, and so on...I'd like to take a week or two to look around at various places. I am told that Montpellier is one of the best places to live...especially for a semi retired person. Any help is very appreciated.
...a great deal, but it's always best to have something lined up beforehand. The city of Burlington would probably be the best place to start, with the Stowe area or Barre/Montpelier just behind. Living expenses won't be as high as Long island, but most visitors find them suprisingly high, given that VT is a small, rural state. Aside from employment, it's important to remember that VT is not a 24/7 environment, and that your favorite bagel/pizza/Chinese restaurant may not be right next door anymore. But once acclimated , you'll enjoy it very much.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:28 PM

Because Vermont's is such a tourism-based economy, you may have more luck finding work than most. If you are a baker you may find that tourists, and locals, too, want what you have to offer.

Vermont attracts tourists in the summer, because of the great summer weather, in the fall, because of the foliage and in the winter, because of the skiing. I'm not sure what the spring offers here, but I read lots of complaints about "mud season", where dirt roads get very muddy.

There is a great bakery here in Brattleboro, called Amy's Bakery Arts Cafe, that is very busy. It is a popular place for people to eat and hang out. They serve soup, sandwiches, some pizza (I think) and baked goods that are baked on the the premises. Fancy baked goods seem to be popular here. There are other cafes, delis and restaurants that feature high-end baked goods.

It's worth researching! Good luck.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:07 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,383,947 times
Default Look before you leap

I lived within 10 miles of NYC until 8 years ago when I moved to northern Vermont with my husband and kids. It's been a huge change, some of it great some of it very challenging.

Here's the good and bad in my opinion:
Good: Strong focus on environmental issues, little traffic, safe (no reason to lock your doors, at least in my town), strong sense of community, decent schools even in poorer towns, strong social services net if you should need it, no pressure to keep up with the Joneses, and lots of outlets for creative and artisitic types.

Bad: High cost of living compared to saleries, good-paying jobs are almost non-existent, high taxes, high rent and housing costs and apartments can be difficult to find, and it can be hard to make friends because native Vermonters tend to be reserved. Also the in-your-face liberal politics can be offputting at times if you're a moderate or conservative.

I would definately line up a job before you come here. The bigger towns have more bakeries and restaurants, but it's not like NYC where there's a bakery on every corner. I'd also look at the resorts, many of which have restaurants.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:07 AM

If possible, it is best to have a job lined up before you move.

Unfortunately, though, it's not always possible.

Sometimes, potential employers just say to contact them after you have moved. Even if you have a definite moving date, they may say they won't know what their openings will be until then.

I guess it depends on the job and on the employer. And on how specialized and valued your skills are.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:01 AM

15 posts, read 32,331 times
Arrow Move to Vermont~

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneferrari View Post
----------------
----------------
I would agree that you MUST have work lined up before you move to Vermont. I came from the shoreline of Connecticut in 1996.
People who can work from home on a computer do well! It is rural here and the season to be busy is SKI SEASON. Do you ski??
A small bakery near the base of a ski mountain would do good business November to March ... Bagel shops are scarce & much loved...
~BUT~You would need to have other means for income April to October!
Ludlow, (Okemo) ... Ascutney... Nice towns with skiing.
P.S. Be prepared to need a full year to adjust to the change! Moving to a cold, snowy, rural area can give you serenity shock... (can be very very quiet here)
IB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont