U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 04:14 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,418,938 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to be closer to family. Mostly interested in Brattleboro or bennington areas but as far north as rutland would work ok. We have lived in Asheville nc and missoula mt and really like the feel of both towns. Accessability to organic natural food, waldorf or similar type schools, artists, open minded community, etc. We also would like to buy 5 or more acres with a house at a not outrageous price. My wife is a phd level child psychologist who would like to join or start a practice. Any info would be great. Also we dont need to live right in a town, just within a 45 min commute. thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 07:06 PM

1,442 posts, read 5,908,301 times
I recently moved to Brattleboro, from Brooklyn, NY.

I've only been here for about 5 months, so what I have to offer is limited, but I think I can say that the Brattleboro area meets your criteria.

The Brattleboro Retreat is a regional psychiatric Center, and there are lots of clinicians in private practice.

There is lots of housing stock available, some in more rural areas with lots of land. Check out realtor.com or berkleyveller.com.

There is lots of organic food and a cultural emphasis on eating locally grown food. There is a great food co-op.

There is a great arts community and arts culture. People are, generally, cosmopolitan, artsy, open-minded and liberal. Based on a Google search, the closest Waldorf school is in Keene, NH. There is also one in Wilton, NH and in Hadley, MA. There is a Montessori school right in Brattleboro.

Adjacent rural towns are Dummerston, Putney, Guilford and Marlboro.

Vernon is also rural, but it is where the nuke plant is. Also, I have been told, it is a bastion of conservativism in liberal southern Vermont.

Along Route 9 between Brattleboro and Bennington are several small rural towns, such as Marlboro and Wilmington.

Interstate 91 is a fast road (65mph) that goes north and south along the eastern edge of Vermont, from western Massachusetts to Canada. If you are willing to endure a 45 minute commute, then you can consider living in the Pioneer Valley of Massachusetts or up near the Upper Valley in Vermont or New Hampshire. You could also consider Keene, NH and the surrounding towns.

You could even consider a New York town near the Vermont or Massachusetts border. From what I have read, the cost of living is lower than in Vermont. But I think the vibe may be different.

I don't know anything about Bennington, except that you listen to media from Albany, NY. I haven't visited there yet. I have heard, though, that it has a different vibe from Brattleboro.

From what you describe, Brattleboro or environs might be a better fit for you.

A lot of people put down Rutland, but there is one poster on this forum who lives there and really likes it.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:38 PM

1,822 posts, read 4,531,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
A lot of people put down Rutland, but there is one poster on this forum who lives there and really likes it.

Moi? I make it my business to be happy wherever I am. :-) However, if I were choosing where to live between Brattleboro, Bennington, and Rutland, I'd pick Brattleboro. I could be happy in any of these towns (and many others besides), but Brattleboro is really my speed, culturally speaking, for all the reasons Arel mentioned.

If you're looking for what's wonderful about Rutland, I can offer some of that, at least from my perspective:
  • Great public library & library community
  • Good and always improving Co-op where we buy all our groceries
  • Awesome year-round weekly farmers market & increasing ties between local farms and businesses/restaurants
  • Two locally-owned, independent bookstores
  • Good Japanese food & a veg-friendly café (Back Home Again), neat new places like Café Terra
  • Very walkable town. We live about 1 mile from downtown and can walk just about everywhere we want to go
  • Affordable, diverse housing stock, at least for Vermont
  • Full-service hospital that's never done us wrong
  • Good selection of mainstream and integrative/alternative health & wellness providers (our M.D. in Brandon is the best I've ever worked with)
  • Nature and outdoor activities very accessible in nearly every direction
  • My experience is that it's a caring, neighborly community where I feel safe
There's also plenty that's not wonderful in Rutland: Limited job opportunities, serious need for clean industries and economic growth opportunities, increasing sprawl draining vitality from downtown, heroin and other drug issues, and more. I feel grateful that for me the upside has far outweighed the downside.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:27 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,422,894 times
LOL, Vernon a bastion of conservatism. Gotta be the 600 employees of the sinister facility on the river, but if all goes as planned they will have no jobs in a few years and move on to other states and communities and pay taxes there.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,106 times
Default Brattleboro

We also moved to Brattleboro from Brooklyn, about two years ago, and I want to add a few cautionary words to my fellow Brooklynite's picture of the town. It does have all those attributes mention, like an emphasis on the local and organic, and we do have here a relatively arts-oriented community. These are some of the qualities that drew us here, along with easy access to trails, skiing, rivers, etc.

However, this isn't the full picture. Brattleboro also has a lot of poverty and a lot of substance abuse issues. As one of my employees told me, everyone he knows here "is either recovering, in treatment, or needs treatment." There often seems to be a willful ignorance of problems like these among those that promote the more idealistic side of the town.

And finally, it is really small. I've in much smaller places than Brooklyn, including a town in North Carolina, but never anywhere this small. After two years in a town with a population of ten to fifteen thousand people, it can feel chokingly small.

Brattleboro can be a nice place to live, but I know too many people (us included) that moved here knowing only about the bright spots - and it felt like a very ugly waking when we saw the town as a whole.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:35 AM

Violet, thanks... what is everyone from brooklyn?? lol. Can anyone else comment on the pverty/substance abuse issue. I mean thoose are issues everywhere I have ever been. if you live by cities there are cocaine problems ..if you live in the middle of no where its meth. Its just hard to believe that brattleboro vt is hit much harder?? The small town issue is not a big deal for us. Also can anyone comment on areas between bratt and keene nh, seems keene has some good things going on to, so maybe being able to access both would be nice. I am guessing its rural in between them. Thanks again for the help.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:51 AM

1,822 posts, read 4,531,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
Also can anyone comment on areas between bratt and keene nh, seems keene has some good things going on to, so maybe being able to access both would be nice. I am guessing its rural in between them. Thanks again for the help.
Keene is adorable. I lived in or near there for 8 years and moved away in 1996. I attended grad school there 2005-2007 and it seems nicer than ever. It's getting more expensive to buy there, as are the areas between Keene and Brattleboro, which I think are lovely. I enjoyed driving between Keene and Brattleboro and never found it a hardship, even in winter weather.

I'm a South Florida native and have lived in New York City and Boston. Small-town living is not for everyone, to be sure. I find small-town Vermont to be just what I want. I've been living in small Northern New England towns nearly my entire adult life, since 1988. I can't predict the future, but I have no intention to live anywhere else.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:11 AM

thanks sheryl

Old 03-04-2009, 08:30 AM

Just to make sure.......Is there alot of fairly easy access to outdoor activities??? mainly hiking, snow shoeing type activities?? with dogs

Old 03-04-2009, 08:46 AM

15 posts, read 28,268 times
Default Sounds like Springfield area is for you!

Check out Springfield, VT.
Has a hospital, many physicians offices, and options for work.
Has stores, McD's, but is still rural enough for you.
A growing community.
Great houses are selling LOW... and with great land.
Chester, Bellows Falls and Springfield are all real nice options.
Good Luck!
IB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or