Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 05:52 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times

Advertisements

holy crap. we had the most crazy ruts today. I wish i had taken pictures. we are talking 18" super soft stuff. The UPS guy called and said I am not coming down your street , come meet me at such and such store.

So I got in the old Subaru and plowed through it relatively easily. I had to ride the clutch a little to keep it from stalling. I went to go take some pictures and apparently in the time I went out, came home and passed through it twice they came and dumped tons of rocks to fill em up.

I notice the subaru seemed to handle these better than my Jeep ever did. I am guessing the Subaru actually puts power to the correct wheels in this situation rather than the wheel with no traction?

good times!

Last edited by joe moving; 03-18-2011 at 06:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 07:34 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Haven't been up to VT since early January and am hoping to make it up by mid April. Any word on what things are looking like around Chester/Andover?

Old 03-18-2011, 08:55 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
Roxbury Gap an important road from I89 and Northfield into the valley was closed today, maybe thru the weekend. I think everyone knew due to alot of snow the potential is there for a bad mud season. My road ain't great but is passable. I've seen alot worse, maybe that's in a couple of weeks.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:00 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,960,464 times
We're heading up on Sunday for a few days...can't wait to see what it's going to look like, lol.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:27 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,930,887 times
Things are softening up for sure. Yesterday I was in the Bakersfield, Sheldon, Enosburg area and there were a few decent ruts here and there on the back roads, but nothing I was overly concerned with. I've been kinda amazed that the Missisquoi River is behaving itself and well within its banks. I don't think the ground froze too deep this winter and a good portion of the melting is going right down into the earth, as my cellar seems to verify . But so far so good. As a rule some of the worst mud can be found in Glover, Albany and Craftsbury but I haven't been in those towns the past few days. Barton has a really bad road right now at the south end of Crystal Lake so I'm pretty sure others are out there.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:57 AM

11,755 posts, read 14,644,267 times
I've talked to a number of people who say this is the worst mud season in many years. We've had a lot of snow this year, and it all has to go somewhere. I've already heard a couple of stories of people stuck half a mile or more from home, and some friends last night were talking about their plans to just stay home this weekend to give the mud a chance to freeze.

Oh yes, and don't forget: winter isn't over.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:25 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Watch out on Wildcat road in Chittenden (road to Lefferts Pond), crazy muddy for the first section during the day, and the big ruts were frozen early this morning when I was out there making for one exciting drive.

Mud season can be fun, but not in a 2 wheel drive car.

I wonder what the roads out to Lewis Pond in Lewis are like right now? I should probably not even think about it yet. lol

Old 03-19-2011, 09:35 AM

28 posts, read 140,503 times
I was on the back roads in Poultney yesterday and it was horrible. A lot of farm/ranch/sugaring equipment rides on these roads and the ruts are both deep and hardly recognizable in places: it's just a swamp pit. I got stuck once, by Moyer's Dairy, on a little hill there. I was so fuming mad I knew I was going to find a way out of it, and I did.

But I am now going to stay away until May and spend my money in places where there are roads, not swamps.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:34 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,191,037 times
I tend to pass ojn my own experience..................If you are looking to move to Northern New England, do it in Mud Season (as I Did) If you can love it then? Everything else is a piece of cake ;-)

Old 03-21-2011, 07:49 AM

819 posts, read 1,494,677 times
My 900' driveway is adventurous at this point in the NEK......better to get errands done early morning when things are frozen then get back before conditions totally go to crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont