Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2009, 08:53 PM

21 posts, read 75,998 times

Advertisements

I have researched and read plenty on this forum about Middlebury, but there is limited information in the web and in the forum about actually living in Manchester. There are several posts about it as a vacation/shopping destination, but not about living there. Housing appears to be much more expensive and I assume that it is frequented by tourists from Boston and NYC? Can anyone shed some light on the major differences between Middlebury and Manchester? Which would be more appealing (and why?) for two young professionals who love the outdoors and want a tight knit community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 08:58 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,597 times
Both towns are lovely and offer easy access to Vermont's great outdoors.

Of the two, I prefer Middlebury. To me it has more of a sense of community. There's a great co-op. It's less like a shopping destination. College towns appeal to me.

Manchester has its good points. As everywhere, some wonderful people. Also a great little independent movie theater. I wouldn't know where to get groceries in Manchester. Don't think there's a co-op.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:24 AM

102 posts, read 313,290 times
Manchester has the Southern Vermont Art Center Southern Vermont Arts Center, Hildene, and is close to many choice hiking spots as well as lakes for fishing and swimming. It has an active community of young professionals. There are civic events taking place all the time. Manchester has an active Chamber of Commerce - www.manchesterandmtns.com. You just have to look beyond the outlet stores to find the local atmosphere. It has one of the best high schools around- Burr and Burton. Their girls basketball team just had an undefeated season and won the State championship.

I'd suggest visiting both and seeking out the places the locals frequent, like the local library and grocery stores (there is a big Shaws, and a new Price Chopper will be built soon), to see what living there is like. Check bulletin boards and local papers to see what the residents are doing. Tour beyond the heart of the towns to see where people live and what kinds of neighborhoods are out there.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:59 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff in VT View Post
I'd suggest visiting both and seeking out the places the locals frequent, like the local library and grocery stores (there is a big Shaws, and a new Price Chopper will be built soon), to see what living there is like. Check bulletin boards and local papers to see what the residents are doing. Tour beyond the heart of the towns to see where people live and what kinds of neighborhoods are out there.

These are excellent suggestions.

The Manchester Journal and Addison Independent (Middlebury) are available online.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:45 AM

894 posts, read 1,558,343 times
Manchester is closer to Albany, and the Albany area has a far bigger economy than Middlebury/Burlington.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:07 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,642 times
Manchester used to be a real nice town but now it seems like one big retail/outlet theme park. The Northshire Bookstore is awesome tho.

Middlebury's economy and vibe is dominated by the college, a Ivy League type private school with a healthy dose of tourism, especially in the fall.

Middlebury is in the middle of the Champlain Valley dominated by alot of farms. It's kinda flat, with nice views of the mountains. You have to like the sweet smell of manure, especially in the spring.

Manchester is set in a river valley between the Taconic and Green Mtns.

http://forums.skimrv.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album33&id=middle&op=mod load&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.ph p (broken link)

http://forums.skimrv.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album33&id=manchester&op =modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_phot o.php (broken link)

Last edited by MRVphotog; 03-15-2009 at 08:34 PM..

Old 03-16-2009, 07:05 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,076 times
Manchester and the surrounding region is very nice and if it was not for lack of work I would have gladly have relocated there. It is a higher priced region and when folks read of the so called outlet stores please beware that it involves mostly trendy outlets, not bargain stores. As mentioned, the bookstore is good along with several other businesses. Apparently Manchester through zoning regulation is trying to make itself more competitive to gain business which would benefit the area. Anyway, it's a nice location with abundant outdoor activities. It is also a popular resupply way point for Appalachian Trail / Long Trail hikers and the locals are mostly very good toward hikers especially when it comes to offering rides to and from the trail head crossing east of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont