Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 09:32 AM

96 posts, read 196,511 times

Advertisements

First allow me to say hi and thanks for your much needed information and help. I am from N. Florida and have been looking to live in a more cooler and beautiful climate a place where I will experience the seasons and can some day fit in enough to call home and raise a family.

Here are some of the things I'm looking for, in no particular order however:

1. Snow, Snow, Snow.

2. Friendly community / citizens.

3. Big city options w/ small town appeal.

4. Good Social Scene

5. Resorts / Spas near by.

6. Great outdoor activities.

7. Professional environment.

I am currently in the NC Mtns and not much really here, plus lacks the snow aspect. I'm sure the above is asking alot but as most have noticed there is a surge of the US population that is beginning to relocate all over.

Thanks for your input and help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 10:38 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times
3 seasons out of the year are very nice in Vermont.

Winter is not my favorite season, here, and it's a VERY LONG season. Yes, we get snow, snow, snow and cold, cold, cold.

I am not much for dreary winters and very cold weather but it's better than heat and humidity.

The worst part of Vermont, though, is the lack of jobs and business opportunities. The cost of living is also high.

Otherwise, if you have a good job, it's a nice place to live.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:20 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,856,024 times
Northeastern Vermont misses out on several of the desired criteria. Number one and six exist without any doubt.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:17 PM

104 posts, read 491,495 times
I would probably go towards Lake Champlain and Burlington.
1. Snow, Snow, Snow.
may

2. Friendly community / citizens.

3. Big city options w/ small town appeal.

4. Good Social Scene

5. Resorts / Spas near by.

6. Great outdoor activities.

7. Professional environment.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:20 PM

104 posts, read 491,495 times
previous entry not finished:

1. there is snow
2. aren't we all friendly ?
3. it's our biggest city with app 40,000 people.
4. better social scene
5. spa resort: closest The Essex opening in June2009; than Stowe 30 miles away.
6. Great waterfront, bike path, close to ski, hiking, etc.
7. major businesses

Old 03-19-2009, 06:32 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,786,378 times
Chrismpv - I think you're right. The Greater Burlington/Chittenden County part of the State of VT is where I'd look, given the criteria, too.

There's a lot less snow and cold
There's more to do
There are lots and lots of recreational opportunities
There are more jobs
I don't know anything about Spas - but I believe each of the 5 ski areas I've driven to since I was a kid has Spa facilities of one sort or another

Old 03-19-2009, 07:57 PM

What is it that you do? I've been leaning toward Maine & Vt area as both have ski resorts, and plenty of winter months.

I do realize that most of you from there are tired of the snow stuff, however while in Fl I hosted a many of friends from the NE and all were shocked I wanted to move to the snow, told me old war stories about days when they'd open front door and snow would be piled up over door and they'd tunnel out to get to street etc.

But I told them look you grew up in it which means your there around 20+yrs, and now look where you are at, Florida total opposite of VT, ME, NH etc.

I grew up in Fl Hurricanes, Heat, Hummidity, nasty NE transplanters from New York, NJ etc that come down and treat us like we are the outsiders, and then Floridians get a bad rap for having a bad attitude, when actually it's non residents that are the nasty ones.

I'm just wanting a place where I can get the seasons, make friends, and enjoy the outdoors, and someday soon hopefully have a family.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:02 PM

I TELL U WHAT! You guys are amazing, I was on the Maine board and all I got from those there was how it' sucks in Me don't come etc etc.

I think it was mostly cause they want to keep the state to themselves, and the fact that people are seeing how alot of the US pop is beginning to seak out what your states offer, and only vacation to the sunnier states.

Heck I had a guy tell me that in Maine they work in clicks and I'd never be able to make friends really, even after living there for 30yrs I'd still be considered an outsider, all that from a state which supposedly prides it's self on being "FRIENDLY".

What a refreshing change only a state over for you folks to be so helpfule. Thank You.!

Old 03-19-2009, 08:11 PM

To clarify what I'm lookin for: I want a place w/ the seasons, sure a bunch of snow would be nice, but as some have said here I'm sure after a year or two it'd get old, and I'm not someone who likes to be closed in.

I don't really want to be in a College type town but one near by would be nice, I always take classes so a Comm. Coll would be fine or University. I'd mostly just want to avoid the hubbub of a College town.

Social scene wise, I'd obviously like something where people are friendly and it's easy to meet people. Dating is important but I'd take friends any day over a short lived relationship. Plus I always say if you got "IT" then you'll always find someone.

Career wise isn't so important right now, as I'm a Nurse and a Massage Therapist (that's why I asked about Resorts/Spas), and I hold a few other medical degrees/licenses, so getting work regardless of the economy is rather easy for myself. But I still like to be around like minded folks. I'm not a career buff by any means but I'd like to be able to mingle amongst those that have a head on their shoulders.

A short time in South Floirda and you'd understand where I was coming from, where graduating from HS and not getting strung out or shot is considered a crowning achievement.

All in all I just want a nice place w/ nice people, where I can eventually meet a nice woman and some day have a nice family, is that to awaful much to ask?????

Well in today's world probably, but a big reason for moving North I'll have you know is that the rest of the US has you folks pegged as very educated and very intelligent compared w/ the rest of the US pop.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:56 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,856,024 times
Sorry to hear that you got bad vibes from the Maine board. You may have stumbled onto a sentiment resentful of outside inquiries partly due to locals having trouble in keeping or finding work. The thing to understand right now is that the economy is taking it's toll throughout the north country. Vermont has some serious economic issues coupled with a relatively high overall cost of living. I would recommend visiting and checking out the aspects that interest you the most. As several have mentioned, I will reinforce, the Chittenden County area is probably your best bet for overall variety as it is within easy striking distance or right in the midst of several elements of you criteria. It's also worth noting that you can access any part of the state within a relatively short period of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont